Fire crews lifted 40-stone man from his Worcester home

Worcester News: 40 stone man taken to hospital 40 stone man taken to hospital

A MAN weighing around 40 stone was taken to hospital Christmas Eve night.

A spokesperson for Herefordshire and Worcestershire Fire Control confirmed one fire crew and one ariel ladder platform crew, to aid in the lifting of the man, attended the scene at Randwick Avenue, Worcester, at around 11.30pm.

One vehicle from West Midlands Ambulance Service attended the scene too and took the patient to Worcestershire Royal Hospital. No other details have been released.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:44pm Fri 27 Dec 13

paula72 says...

And why should any details be released. Someone was taken to hospital because they needed medical attention. Have some respect. Would you like my weight and vital statistics and do an piece to say that I have left the house to pop to Tesco. You really are becoming a disgusting newspaper.
And why should any details be released. Someone was taken to hospital because they needed medical attention. Have some respect. Would you like my weight and vital statistics and do an piece to say that I have left the house to pop to Tesco. You really are becoming a disgusting newspaper. paula72

9:48am Sat 28 Dec 13

it700x says...

I can see why the fire service are striking having to deal with this
I can see why the fire service are striking having to deal with this it700x

2:55pm Sat 28 Dec 13

grubberlog says...

Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars.
This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man!
Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars. This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man! grubberlog

4:16pm Sat 28 Dec 13

liketoknow says...

grubberlog wrote:
Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars.
This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man!
in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that?
[quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars. This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man![/p][/quote]in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that? liketoknow

9:13pm Sat 28 Dec 13

St Jon says...

Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.
Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services. St Jon

10:01pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Ctrl Alt Del says...

Ha! just knew we would get one of these. I'll bet St Jon would like him charged for the emergency services attending as well.
Ha! just knew we would get one of these. I'll bet St Jon would like him charged for the emergency services attending as well. Ctrl Alt Del

11:17am Sun 29 Dec 13

mijas4@live.com says...

Ctrl Alt Del wrote:
Ha! just knew we would get one of these. I'll bet St Jon would like him charged for the emergency services attending as well.
Would be a good idea, he is only there because of his own actions. We need to get our heads out of the sand and understand what a ticking time bomb we have with obesity.

We should ostracise fat people as we did drink drivers and smokers and educate young People of the dangers of loosing self control. Being 40 stone, stuck at home and being unable to walk should be enough of a deterrent but all we hear is that it is not their fault.

Why not put pictures of clogged arteries and a 40 stone arse on every cream bun, it works for cigarettes !

Think the whole point of the article was to fuel this type of discussion, St Jon makes some very good points which were clearly and rationally articulated.
[quote][p][bold]Ctrl Alt Del[/bold] wrote: Ha! just knew we would get one of these. I'll bet St Jon would like him charged for the emergency services attending as well.[/p][/quote]Would be a good idea, he is only there because of his own actions. We need to get our heads out of the sand and understand what a ticking time bomb we have with obesity. We should ostracise fat people as we did drink drivers and smokers and educate young People of the dangers of loosing self control. Being 40 stone, stuck at home and being unable to walk should be enough of a deterrent but all we hear is that it is not their fault. Why not put pictures of clogged arteries and a 40 stone arse on every cream bun, it works for cigarettes ! Think the whole point of the article was to fuel this type of discussion, St Jon makes some very good points which were clearly and rationally articulated. mijas4@live.com

2:03pm Sun 29 Dec 13

b1ackb1rd says...

Bit sad that Fire have to justify themselves by releasing this story.
Are there no depths they won't plumb in trying to avoid the cuts that everyone else is suffering?
Bit sad that Fire have to justify themselves by releasing this story. Are there no depths they won't plumb in trying to avoid the cuts that everyone else is suffering? b1ackb1rd

3:44pm Sun 29 Dec 13

grubberlog says...

liketoknow wrote:
grubberlog wrote:
Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars.
This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man!
in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that?
They attend every emergency where they are required. they attend road incidents, they attend accidents in the home where they are needed. If you were to get your toe stuck in the bath tap, they would attend. Or if you had got your fingers stuck in a drawer they would attend, regardless of your weight. the mans weight is irrelevant.
[quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars. This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man![/p][/quote]in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that?[/p][/quote]They attend every emergency where they are required. they attend road incidents, they attend accidents in the home where they are needed. If you were to get your toe stuck in the bath tap, they would attend. Or if you had got your fingers stuck in a drawer they would attend, regardless of your weight. the mans weight is irrelevant. grubberlog

3:52pm Sun 29 Dec 13

grubberlog says...

St Jon wrote:
Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.
Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people.
[quote][p][bold]St Jon[/bold] wrote: Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.[/p][/quote]Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people. grubberlog

7:05pm Sun 29 Dec 13

mijas4@live.com says...

grubberlog wrote:
St Jon wrote:
Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.
Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people.
I don't think so and many of these people pay or have insurance, I also suspect (although I have no hard facts) that many of these People would have put a **** site more into society than someone who has stuffed there face so much that they can't even work.

I know that there are lots of Fat people out there and you probably don't like to hear the truth, which is fine but why should I have to pay for your lack control.
[quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Jon[/bold] wrote: Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.[/p][/quote]Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people.[/p][/quote]I don't think so and many of these people pay or have insurance, I also suspect (although I have no hard facts) that many of these People would have put a **** site more into society than someone who has stuffed there face so much that they can't even work. I know that there are lots of Fat people out there and you probably don't like to hear the truth, which is fine but why should I have to pay for your lack control. mijas4@live.com

10:27pm Sun 29 Dec 13

TinFoilHat says...

Hey 'my' Worcester News, why don't you do some real journalism and tell the people what part of the hospital the 40 stone fella was taken to. Might make a few of the folk here show some respect too.
Hey 'my' Worcester News, why don't you do some real journalism and tell the people what part of the hospital the 40 stone fella was taken to. Might make a few of the folk here show some respect too. TinFoilHat

2:08am Mon 30 Dec 13

batchelorboy says...

grubberlog wrote:
St Jon wrote:
Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.
Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people.
Those who choose to go climbing without proper gear and have an accident, those who choose to ride a motorbike and crash due to careless riding technique, those who drink more than they should and cause agro, those who smoke with other directly affected health issues - should all be charged for services rendered by emergency services, directly relating to their inconsideration for themselves and others.

Those who climb, ride, drink and smoke, who find themselves in an accident that isn't their fault, are excused from the main issue being raised here.

If the 40 stone man was taken to hospital because of a clonk on the head by a stray cricket ball, his weight is irrelevant to the reason he was taken to hospital. The fact that the fire service had to tie up a ladder unit to help lift the man, regardless of the reason for needing to go to hospital, is what has riled some readers, me included. The man should be charged for the services provided - just like a numpty should be charged for impaling a leg on railings they shouldn't be climbing.

Just because this man can't control his own eating habits, he shouldn't automatically be entitled to endless freebies.

I've always said that super obese people should be charged some kind of tax. Not as a deterrent to stop them over indulging, but to claw back some of the money that is spent looking after them - extra health care, extra landfill.

However, this country is becoming too soft in its approach to tackling what are deemed, by a handful of people sat round a table, to be "sensitive" and/or unimportant issues that are in fact slowly turning the country inside out.
[quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Jon[/bold] wrote: Putting aside the inappropriate jokes and the defensiveness, there are some real issues here. Hard pushed public services, both NHS and Fire, have been stretched yet further by one man's irresponsible lifestyle choices. If he is unable to leave the house naturally, then it is also likely that the cost of that care is falling on his fellow citizens (ie readers) rather than himself. You could also look at the borderline abuse by whoever is bringing such an excess of food to him in full knowledge of the devastating impact on his health. No-one chooses to be black or gay; what is different here is the choice to ignore all medical advice on such a spectacular scale in the expectation that the rest of society will shelter them from the consequences. Unfair? Perhaps only because we concentrate on a singular extreme example of super morbid obesity, rather than the quarter of the population who are 'simply' obese with a far greater cumulative impact on our public services.[/p][/quote]Ah right, so this extends to fit people who choose to climb mountains and have falls? And anyone who engages in "dangerous" sports? How about those who ride motorcycles and crash? Whats about those who drink, who smoke? I'm sure every year this lot costs a whole lot more than fat people.[/p][/quote]Those who choose to go climbing without proper gear and have an accident, those who choose to ride a motorbike and crash due to careless riding technique, those who drink more than they should and cause agro, those who smoke with other directly affected health issues - should all be charged for services rendered by emergency services, directly relating to their inconsideration for themselves and others. Those who climb, ride, drink and smoke, who find themselves in an accident that isn't their fault, are excused from the main issue being raised here. If the 40 stone man was taken to hospital because of a clonk on the head by a stray cricket ball, his weight is irrelevant to the reason he was taken to hospital. The fact that the fire service had to tie up a ladder unit to help lift the man, regardless of the reason for needing to go to hospital, is what has riled some readers, me included. The man should be charged for the services provided - just like a numpty should be charged for impaling a leg on railings they shouldn't be climbing. Just because this man can't control his own eating habits, he shouldn't automatically be entitled to endless freebies. I've always said that super obese people should be charged some kind of tax. Not as a deterrent to stop them over indulging, but to claw back some of the money that is spent looking after them - extra health care, extra landfill. However, this country is becoming too soft in its approach to tackling what are deemed, by a handful of people sat round a table, to be "sensitive" and/or unimportant issues that are in fact slowly turning the country inside out. batchelorboy

11:05am Mon 30 Dec 13

liketoknow says...

grubberlog wrote:
liketoknow wrote:
grubberlog wrote:
Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars.
This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man!
in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that?
They attend every emergency where they are required. they attend road incidents, they attend accidents in the home where they are needed. If you were to get your toe stuck in the bath tap, they would attend. Or if you had got your fingers stuck in a drawer they would attend, regardless of your weight. the mans weight is irrelevant.
ok then . 'firefighters lift man from home'. doesn't sound quite right does it ?
[quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grubberlog[/bold] wrote: Why? They are an emergency service, this was an emergency. I'm not sure what your point is? They also have to attend car crashes where thin people have had their feet and ankles mangled beyond recognition by the pedals in their cars. This is a pathetic bit of journalism , a fat man is taken to hospital due to a medical condition. Next it will a black man, or a gay man! Here's an idea Worcester News, why not ring up the circus and see if they have a bearded lady to report on? Chris Plant would have had a field day with the Elephant Man![/p][/quote]in the context of the story his size was relevant. or do the fire service attend every emergency ? they reported the facts . what's the matter with that?[/p][/quote]They attend every emergency where they are required. they attend road incidents, they attend accidents in the home where they are needed. If you were to get your toe stuck in the bath tap, they would attend. Or if you had got your fingers stuck in a drawer they would attend, regardless of your weight. the mans weight is irrelevant.[/p][/quote]ok then . 'firefighters lift man from home'. doesn't sound quite right does it ? liketoknow

3:03pm Mon 30 Dec 13

MJI says...

I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital.
.
When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed.
I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital. . When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed. MJI

7:15pm Mon 30 Dec 13

broken6 says...

MJI wrote:
I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital.
.
When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed.
You can walk with 2 broken hips? Fair play to you.
[quote][p][bold]MJI[/bold] wrote: I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital. . When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed.[/p][/quote]You can walk with 2 broken hips? Fair play to you. broken6

10:05am Tue 31 Dec 13

MJI says...

broken6 wrote:
MJI wrote:
I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital.
.
When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed.
You can walk with 2 broken hips? Fair play to you.
Mine are OK.
.
So how can you break 2 hips then?
[quote][p][bold]broken6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MJI[/bold] wrote: I am overweight but I could walk to the ambulance and could walk around the hospital. . When you cannot move, time to stop feeding, if I was so fat I could not move I would expect to not be fed.[/p][/quote]You can walk with 2 broken hips? Fair play to you.[/p][/quote]Mine are OK. . So how can you break 2 hips then? MJI

3:59pm Tue 31 Dec 13

broken6 says...

It's very easy to break 2 hips if you have Osteoporosis. Just ask my neighbour!

I didn't realise that you knew this gentleman had no serious accident? So I apologise.
It's very easy to break 2 hips if you have Osteoporosis. Just ask my neighbour! I didn't realise that you knew this gentleman had no serious accident? So I apologise. broken6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree