SUPERMARKET giant Lidl has finally revealed its plans for a new store in Worcester - as hundreds of people back the bid.
The budget chain has now submitted a planning application to Worcester City Council over opening a new store in Warndon, off Windermere Drive in a massive boost to the area.
Your Worcester News reveal several new developments in the final bid, which is expected to be voted upon by the end of October, including:
- It will come with 134 parking spaces, 30 more than first thought, and 24 cycle racks
- The new store will take up 2,417 square metres of floorspace, with 30 staff on site, 10 more than the current Lidl on Blackpole Retail Park which will close if the new facility opens
- The new-look store will be come with a raft of tree planting around it to vastly improve the landscape
- 254 people have signed petitions backing the development, with just two objectors during a public exhibition on it back in the spring
- The city council is now asking for views on the plan, with comments able to be submitted until Thursday, September 11 Lidl has also come good on its pledge to help the Archdales, as the application includes plans to demolish the current clubhouse on the site and replace it with a new one, as well as a new adult football pitch.
Lidl's report for the planning committee, prepared by consultants GVA, says the project will "regenerate" the area and "vastly improve" its current appearance.
The foodstore also believes a majority of people back it, not least because of the added benefits of a new Archdales clubhouse and pitches.
It says: "The consultation event attracted over 600 residents and representatives of local groups or associations.
"Attendees were encouraged to make comments on the proposals and complete a questionnaire recording their current shopping patterns - the petition was signed by 216 people, 214 who were in favour and two against."
It also says 60 people have already written in expressing interest in taking a job at the new store, although the first 20 positions are going to staff at the current Blackpole Retail Park site.
The new Archdales clubhouse would contain a bar, lounge, skittles rooms and main hall as well as the football facilities.
If approved, the new store will open in the middle of 2015.
To send your comments to the city council email email@example.com.