PEDIGREE sheep including a prize winning ewe were mauled in an attack that has left their owner "as sick as a dog".

Five of the eight pedigree sheep, which are housed at One Acre Farm Shop, Cleeve Prior, near Evesham, were injured, and although four were not seriously hurt, a prize sheep wasn't so lucky.

Named Posh, the three year-old prize-winning Suffolk ewe is used to compete in show competitions and is estimated to be worth around £3,000, but suffered injuries which will mean she can't compete in this year's shows.

Peter Smith, 63, who owns One Acre Farm Shop, said: "Two dogs, which looked like Lurchers and were very intimidating, jumped over the fence when their owners left them alone and they got at my sheep.

"They've chased the sheep and pushed them over, trying to bite at their bellies. It could have been a lot worse though.

"Four of them were just in shock, and apart from a couple of scratches, they were fine. They wouldn't come near me for a few hours as they were so shell-shocked.

"Posh wasn't quite so lucky, she was hurt quite badly and I had to stay with her throughout the afternoon tending to her. It was touch and go for a while. She certainly won't be able to compete in any shows this year.

"This has happened a few times, to myself and others, and it's getting quite bad around here now."

Mr Smith was not at the shop when the dogs attacked, but was alerted to the incident by fellow villagers.

He said: "I was out on an errand and the next thing I knew people were shouting 'Pete, Pete, the dogs are at your sheep' so I rushed back to the shop.

"When I arrived a few people were already there trying to get the dogs away, and we ran at them shouting, screaming and waving our arms around to scare them away.

"Eventually the owners came and took them away.

"It was horrible and I felt as sick as a dog. It has taken me ten years to get this bloodline going, and it was nearly taken away in ten minutes."

A spokeswoman for West Mercia Police confirmed investigations are underway into the incident, which happened on the afternoon of Friday, June 6.