Yes, we do want a new Lidl supermarket say people in Worcester

Yes, we do want a new Lidl supermarket say people in Worcester

Yes, we do want a new Lidl supermarket say people in Worcester

First published in News Worcester News: Tom Edwards by , Political Reporter

SUPERMARKET giant Lidl has finally revealed its plans for a new store in Worcester - as hundreds of people back the bid.

The budget chain has now submitted a planning application to Worcester City Council over opening a new store in Warndon, off Windermere Drive in a massive boost to the area.

Your Worcester News reveal several new developments in the final bid, which is expected to be voted upon by the end of October, including:

- It will come with 134 parking spaces, 30 more than first thought, and 24 cycle racks

- The new store will take up 2,417 square metres of floorspace, with 30 staff on site, 10 more than the current Lidl on Blackpole Retail Park which will close if the new facility opens

- The new-look store will be come with a raft of tree planting around it to vastly improve the landscape

- 254 people have signed petitions backing the development, with just two objectors during a public exhibition on it back in the spring

- The city council is now asking for views on the plan, with comments able to be submitted until Thursday, September 11 Lidl has also come good on its pledge to help the Archdales, as the application includes plans to demolish the current clubhouse on the site and replace it with a new one, as well as a new adult football pitch.

Lidl's report for the planning committee, prepared by consultants GVA, says the project will "regenerate" the area and "vastly improve" its current appearance.

The foodstore also believes a majority of people back it, not least because of the added benefits of a new Archdales clubhouse and pitches.

It says: "The consultation event attracted over 600 residents and representatives of local groups or associations.

"Attendees were encouraged to make comments on the proposals and complete a questionnaire recording their current shopping patterns - the petition was signed by 216 people, 214 who were in favour and two against."

It also says 60 people have already written in expressing interest in taking a job at the new store, although the first 20 positions are going to staff at the current Blackpole Retail Park site.

The new Archdales clubhouse would contain a bar, lounge, skittles rooms and main hall as well as the football facilities.

If approved, the new store will open in the middle of 2015.

To send your comments to the city council email planning@worcester.gov.uk.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:39pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Hwicce says...

Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking.

Try and get on board!
Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking. Try and get on board! Hwicce
  • Score: 10

7:59pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Mobey says...

How is moving it from where it is in the retail park to windermere drive going to make such a difference?
How is moving it from where it is in the retail park to windermere drive going to make such a difference? Mobey
  • Score: 4

8:48pm Sun 31 Aug 14

New Kid on the Block says...

Mobey wrote:
How is moving it from where it is in the retail park to windermere drive going to make such a difference?
Because it will be a lot bigger than the existing store.

For once there appears to have been realistic claims about the amount of people employed by such stores.
The current store employs twenty people the new one will need ten more. Not a lot of staff considering the amount of trade they will do, and the fact that at least some of these jobs are likely to be part time.
[quote][p][bold]Mobey[/bold] wrote: How is moving it from where it is in the retail park to windermere drive going to make such a difference?[/p][/quote]Because it will be a lot bigger than the existing store. For once there appears to have been realistic claims about the amount of people employed by such stores. The current store employs twenty people the new one will need ten more. Not a lot of staff considering the amount of trade they will do, and the fact that at least some of these jobs are likely to be part time. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: 4

9:44pm Sun 31 Aug 14

3thinker says...

Hwicce wrote:
Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking.

Try and get on board!
To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer.
[quote][p][bold]Hwicce[/bold] wrote: Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking. Try and get on board![/p][/quote]To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer. 3thinker
  • Score: -3

10:39pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Hwicce says...

3thinker wrote:
Hwicce wrote:
Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking.

Try and get on board!
To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer.
And I'm afraid that is exactly the attitude that means people go to places like Malvern or Kidderminster for shops like Matalan, B&Q, Morrison's, Wilkinson, The Range.

People don't go to shops because they want to look at pretty shops they go to shops to buy what they want. If what they want isn't there they will go elsewhere.

If you want a pretty city centre full of quaint Dickensian shops fine, but you will need to make it like the Black County Museum and charge an entrance fee because there is no way it will make enough money to support itself otherwise.

The reason the city centre is full of empty or charity shops is because it hasn't got what people want to buy. Until you change that then it will continue it's downward spiral no matter how much hand wringing you do.
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hwicce[/bold] wrote: Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking. Try and get on board![/p][/quote]To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer.[/p][/quote]And I'm afraid that is exactly the attitude that means people go to places like Malvern or Kidderminster for shops like Matalan, B&Q, Morrison's, Wilkinson, The Range. People don't go to shops because they want to look at pretty shops they go to shops to buy what they want. If what they want isn't there they will go elsewhere. If you want a pretty city centre full of quaint Dickensian shops fine, but you will need to make it like the Black County Museum and charge an entrance fee because there is no way it will make enough money to support itself otherwise. The reason the city centre is full of empty or charity shops is because it hasn't got what people want to buy. Until you change that then it will continue it's downward spiral no matter how much hand wringing you do. Hwicce
  • Score: 12

12:49am Mon 1 Sep 14

originalG says...

Hwicce wrote:
3thinker wrote:
Hwicce wrote:
Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking.

Try and get on board!
To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer.
And I'm afraid that is exactly the attitude that means people go to places like Malvern or Kidderminster for shops like Matalan, B&Q, Morrison's, Wilkinson, The Range.

People don't go to shops because they want to look at pretty shops they go to shops to buy what they want. If what they want isn't there they will go elsewhere.

If you want a pretty city centre full of quaint Dickensian shops fine, but you will need to make it like the Black County Museum and charge an entrance fee because there is no way it will make enough money to support itself otherwise.

The reason the city centre is full of empty or charity shops is because it hasn't got what people want to buy. Until you change that then it will continue it's downward spiral no matter how much hand wringing you do.
That is not quite true. There are many of us that want and support and BUY from independent shops in Worcester. We do not all want the city centre turning into every other boring town or city with the usual shops - even though we already have some of them which is fine.

We want and need more independent shops, cafes and boutiques. Maybe a good reason it is empty is the rates that the council charge for shops in town is absolutely disgusting and start up businesses cannot afford to pay such fees!

We are also missing a lot of main label shops such as Miss Selfridge, Oasis, French Connection etc. They have a few rails in House of Fraser whereas other cities have larger shops for these brands. We are missing quite a lot of these shops too. We need a mix. We don't all want to drive to different retail parks - we want a shopping experience and i think that is something Worcester is hugely lacking and would entice people back into town. Open areas, much more seating, tidying up of certain areas, street cleaning and more flowers/greenery. It is possible - but takes effort and the council people to get on board!
[quote][p][bold]Hwicce[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hwicce[/bold] wrote: Take note Worcester BID - this is the sort of thing that the shopping public want - big stores with free parking. Try and get on board![/p][/quote]To follow your claim to its logical conclusion, what you are recommending is the demolition of most of the City Centre to construct something similar to Merry Hill. Is this really the future local people want for our historic city centre. I doubt it. There are plenty of other towns and cities that have found a better way of maintaining their viability. You may only want to shop in the multiples. There's many others who prefer the range and choice that independent retailers offer. Its about getting the balance right. So far I happen to think the BID has done a pretty good job, despite one of the most challenging times for retail. I think what we should all be concerned with is a lack of vision form the City (and County) Council to do what will help maintain, support and improve what we have. The big problem is to stand top to the major multiples and the developers to make sure that if there is any out of town retail its doesn't compete with the City Centre retail offer.[/p][/quote]And I'm afraid that is exactly the attitude that means people go to places like Malvern or Kidderminster for shops like Matalan, B&Q, Morrison's, Wilkinson, The Range. People don't go to shops because they want to look at pretty shops they go to shops to buy what they want. If what they want isn't there they will go elsewhere. If you want a pretty city centre full of quaint Dickensian shops fine, but you will need to make it like the Black County Museum and charge an entrance fee because there is no way it will make enough money to support itself otherwise. The reason the city centre is full of empty or charity shops is because it hasn't got what people want to buy. Until you change that then it will continue it's downward spiral no matter how much hand wringing you do.[/p][/quote]That is not quite true. There are many of us that want and support and BUY from independent shops in Worcester. We do not all want the city centre turning into every other boring town or city with the usual shops - even though we already have some of them which is fine. We want and need more independent shops, cafes and boutiques. Maybe a good reason it is empty is the rates that the council charge for shops in town is absolutely disgusting and start up businesses cannot afford to pay such fees! We are also missing a lot of main label shops such as Miss Selfridge, Oasis, French Connection etc. They have a few rails in House of Fraser whereas other cities have larger shops for these brands. We are missing quite a lot of these shops too. We need a mix. We don't all want to drive to different retail parks - we want a shopping experience and i think that is something Worcester is hugely lacking and would entice people back into town. Open areas, much more seating, tidying up of certain areas, street cleaning and more flowers/greenery. It is possible - but takes effort and the council people to get on board! originalG
  • Score: 6

6:22pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Old Uncle says...

Maintaining the allure, heritage and charm of the city centre is an admirable objective. However, in these times of tight budgets for individuals and councils to tie this objective to retail offerings and attempt to stifle the free market does not serve the needs of those of us who need to make ends meet. We are looking for good quality at a good price. Places such as Lidl and Aldi serve our needs. Most of us don't have wads of disposable income lying around to subsidise the objective. Ways must be found to preserve the city centre and we have elected representatives who are supposed to do that. If they don't do it, then throw the bums out.
Maintaining the allure, heritage and charm of the city centre is an admirable objective. However, in these times of tight budgets for individuals and councils to tie this objective to retail offerings and attempt to stifle the free market does not serve the needs of those of us who need to make ends meet. We are looking for good quality at a good price. Places such as Lidl and Aldi serve our needs. Most of us don't have wads of disposable income lying around to subsidise the objective. Ways must be found to preserve the city centre and we have elected representatives who are supposed to do that. If they don't do it, then throw the bums out. Old Uncle
  • Score: 3

11:02am Tue 2 Sep 14

Raniator says...

If it keeps your average Lidl shopper away from Worcester city centre then I'm all for it.
If it keeps your average Lidl shopper away from Worcester city centre then I'm all for it. Raniator
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree