A WOMEN’S football team from Worcester is under investigation by the FA after their latest fixture was called off amidst ugly scenes.
The match between Worcester United and Marston Green was poised at 0-0 in the 80th minute when a brawl involving players from both sides erupted, forcing the referee to abandon the encounter.
Both clubs must now answer charges of failing to control their players in the top-of- the-table West Midlands Regional Women’s League fixture played at the University of Worcester.
The flare-up stemmed from an off-the-ball incident that saw two opposing players react to each other.
As pushing and shoving began about half a dozen players from each side are understood to have got involved, either in the scuffle or as peacemakers.
Worcester United has not yet answered the charge from Worcester FA but internal action has already been taken, with chairman Ryan O’Connor calling the incident “unacceptable” and suspending two players for the club’s next match, away at Lye Town on Sunday.
He has also issued a club statement “making clear the standards he expects” from everyone at the club.
“We as a club have identified our own failings during this incident, he said.
“We could have controlled the situation better by walking away in the face of provocation.”
Mr O’Connor insisted the events, on Sunday, November 11, were “an isolated incident”, saying disciplinary standards had previously been “exceptionally high with no previous incidents of violent conduct”.
He added: “I believe I have dealt with this fairly and proportionately and we are now looking to move on as a club.”
Chris Dale, discipline manager at Worcester FA, said Worcester United has until Tuesday, November 27, to answer the charge.
He said the range of sanctions the sides could face was “fairly open ended” and that any disciplinary hearings would be held promptly – usually within 14 days of receiving the clubs’ responses.
Nobody from Marston Green was available for comment, but Mike Fellows, discipline manager at Birmingham FA, said the club has until Sunday, December 2, to respond to the charge.