New shop creates 50 local jobs

Worcester News: New shop creates 50 local jobs New shop creates 50 local jobs

A NEW shop opening in Worcester this week will create 50 new jobs in the city.

B&M, which already has more than 300 stores across the country, will open its doors in St Martin's Quarter on Friday.

The store offers top branded products at discount prices and is close to the ASDA car park and Fit for Free gym, on the corner of St Martin’s Gate and Pheasant Street.

The new Worcester store will employ around 50 staff, many of whom have already been recruited, but there may be a few more vacancies available.

B&M store manager Andrew Bradley, who was born and bred in Worcester in Worcester, joined B&M ten years ago at their 16th store based in Dudley and is delighted to be opening a brand new store in his home town.

He said: “We will offer something to Worcester that it has been missing, a fantastic range of branded products at unbelievably low prices. It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else." 

Selwyn Rowley of St Martin’s Quarter developers Carillion Richardson said: “The letting of units at St Martin’s Quarter is now gathering pace and we are delighted to see such a dynamic retail chain that will add to the footfall generated by ASDA and FitforFree and offer great value shopping."

 

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:23pm Wed 28 Nov 12

skychip says...

Is it like TK Maxx
Is it like TK Maxx skychip
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Wed 28 Nov 12

Hwicce says...

Upmarket pound shop.
Upmarket pound shop. Hwicce
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Wed 28 Nov 12

EconoXL says...

Hmm, Prestigious new development then.......
Hmm, Prestigious new development then....... EconoXL
  • Score: 0

5:26pm Wed 28 Nov 12

CJH says...

EconoXL wrote:
Hmm, Prestigious new development then.......
It's 50 jobs!
[quote][p][bold]EconoXL[/bold] wrote: Hmm, Prestigious new development then.......[/p][/quote]It's 50 jobs! CJH
  • Score: 0

5:46pm Wed 28 Nov 12

Hwicce says...

I like B&M, though it's on the lower end of the scale its better than another mobile phone shop or clothes shop where T-shirts cost £30 each.

It's on par with Aldi and Lidl but with more non-food stuff.

I definitely think it's positive as it broadens what Worcester has to offer.
I like B&M, though it's on the lower end of the scale its better than another mobile phone shop or clothes shop where T-shirts cost £30 each. It's on par with Aldi and Lidl but with more non-food stuff. I definitely think it's positive as it broadens what Worcester has to offer. Hwicce
  • Score: 0

12:34am Thu 29 Nov 12

Kenni says...

ST Martins Discount Quarter....
ST Martins Discount Quarter.... Kenni
  • Score: 0

9:37am Thu 29 Nov 12

pronstar says...

B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else."

Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though.
B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else." Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though. pronstar
  • Score: 0

10:14am Thu 29 Nov 12

mayall8808 says...

Its always good to see people get work, something this government seems to have no idea about, its also good to see a different shop too instead of another pizza place or just an empty unit as there are plenty of them in Worcester.
Its always good to see people get work, something this government seems to have no idea about, its also good to see a different shop too instead of another pizza place or just an empty unit as there are plenty of them in Worcester. mayall8808
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Thu 29 Nov 12

dm5858 says...

a different shop and 50 new jobs is good, pity it wasnt wilkinsons thou
a different shop and 50 new jobs is good, pity it wasnt wilkinsons thou dm5858
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Mobey says...

Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too.
Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too. Mobey
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Lord Newbold says...

pronstar wrote:
B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else."

Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though.
B & M are just like any other large store. Somewhat, cheap and well frequented by shoppers who think they are going to get a bargain. However, many will become disillusioned soon after they discover what they thought they had bought is not as good as they thought. Purchasers will soon realise you only get what you pay for.
We have one in our area, it took over Woolworths. Like many of these large super stores, B & M are one-step up from a charity shop. They fair pretty well at Christmas Time, unfortunately, the boxes are more expensive that the gifts. Still after all is said and done where there is rubbish, there is money. Yet you may find a better bargain (even if it has been used) in a charity shop.
[quote][p][bold]pronstar[/bold] wrote: B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else." Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though.[/p][/quote]B & M are just like any other large store. Somewhat, cheap and well frequented by shoppers who think they are going to get a bargain. However, many will become disillusioned soon after they discover what they thought they had bought is not as good as they thought. Purchasers will soon realise you only get what you pay for. We have one in our area, it took over Woolworths. Like many of these large super stores, B & M are one-step up from a charity shop. They fair pretty well at Christmas Time, unfortunately, the boxes are more expensive that the gifts. Still after all is said and done where there is rubbish, there is money. Yet you may find a better bargain (even if it has been used) in a charity shop. Lord Newbold
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Fri 30 Nov 12

kevkirky says...

For all those negative people out there, why don't you at least see what they have on offer before passing comment. Plus, how many stores are opening at the moment rather than closing? To take on a shop this big is a real positive move for retail in worcester and it can only drive footfall in worcester city centre! Oh and 50 jobs created? It's not every day that a retailer like this creates opportunities on such a large scale. Rant over!
For all those negative people out there, why don't you at least see what they have on offer before passing comment. Plus, how many stores are opening at the moment rather than closing? To take on a shop this big is a real positive move for retail in worcester and it can only drive footfall in worcester city centre! Oh and 50 jobs created? It's not every day that a retailer like this creates opportunities on such a large scale. Rant over! kevkirky
  • Score: 0

11:41pm Fri 30 Nov 12

CJH says...

Lord Newbold wrote:
pronstar wrote: B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else." Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though.
B & M are just like any other large store. Somewhat, cheap and well frequented by shoppers who think they are going to get a bargain. However, many will become disillusioned soon after they discover what they thought they had bought is not as good as they thought. Purchasers will soon realise you only get what you pay for. We have one in our area, it took over Woolworths. Like many of these large super stores, B & M are one-step up from a charity shop. They fair pretty well at Christmas Time, unfortunately, the boxes are more expensive that the gifts. Still after all is said and done where there is rubbish, there is money. Yet you may find a better bargain (even if it has been used) in a charity shop.
Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going? *Rolls eyes*
[quote][p][bold]Lord Newbold[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pronstar[/bold] wrote: B&M store manager Andrew Bradley said "It constantly amazes me why people shop anywhere else." Maybe because B&M don't sell everything and what they do sell is cheap tat. Good luck to the people who have found new jobs just before Christmas though.[/p][/quote]B & M are just like any other large store. Somewhat, cheap and well frequented by shoppers who think they are going to get a bargain. However, many will become disillusioned soon after they discover what they thought they had bought is not as good as they thought. Purchasers will soon realise you only get what you pay for. We have one in our area, it took over Woolworths. Like many of these large super stores, B & M are one-step up from a charity shop. They fair pretty well at Christmas Time, unfortunately, the boxes are more expensive that the gifts. Still after all is said and done where there is rubbish, there is money. Yet you may find a better bargain (even if it has been used) in a charity shop.[/p][/quote]Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going? *Rolls eyes* CJH
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Mon 3 Dec 12

More Tea Vicar says...

Mobey wrote:
Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too.
I truly hope so.

I wonder how many of the staff will be from here?

But at face value, yes, absolutely, great news.
[quote][p][bold]Mobey[/bold] wrote: Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too.[/p][/quote]I truly hope so. I wonder how many of the staff will be from here? But at face value, yes, absolutely, great news. More Tea Vicar
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Mon 3 Dec 12

More Tea Vicar says...

kevkirky wrote:
For all those negative people out there, why don't you at least see what they have on offer before passing comment. Plus, how many stores are opening at the moment rather than closing? To take on a shop this big is a real positive move for retail in worcester and it can only drive footfall in worcester city centre! Oh and 50 jobs created? It's not every day that a retailer like this creates opportunities on such a large scale. Rant over!
Agreed. It looks great. And it's in line with the current economic situation. It might be nice to have a John Lewis, too, but the market is what it is.

It's also good that the development is towards the city centre rather than out of town.
[quote][p][bold]kevkirky[/bold] wrote: For all those negative people out there, why don't you at least see what they have on offer before passing comment. Plus, how many stores are opening at the moment rather than closing? To take on a shop this big is a real positive move for retail in worcester and it can only drive footfall in worcester city centre! Oh and 50 jobs created? It's not every day that a retailer like this creates opportunities on such a large scale. Rant over![/p][/quote]Agreed. It looks great. And it's in line with the current economic situation. It might be nice to have a John Lewis, too, but the market is what it is. It's also good that the development is towards the city centre rather than out of town. More Tea Vicar
  • Score: 0

9:17am Tue 4 Dec 12

Mobey says...

More Tea Vicar wrote:
Mobey wrote:
Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too.
I truly hope so.

I wonder how many of the staff will be from here?

But at face value, yes, absolutely, great news.
I hope all of them will be if not the surrounding areas. I think it's great we have a new retail company looking at Worcester. Anyone know when it opens?
[quote][p][bold]More Tea Vicar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mobey[/bold] wrote: Great news for the unemployed in Worcester, and great for new business in Worcester too.[/p][/quote]I truly hope so. I wonder how many of the staff will be from here? But at face value, yes, absolutely, great news.[/p][/quote]I hope all of them will be if not the surrounding areas. I think it's great we have a new retail company looking at Worcester. Anyone know when it opens? Mobey
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree