Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Barry Dearlove rape trial latest
4:12pm Wednesday 16th January 2013 in News
A judge was today completing his summing up in the trial of a transvestite accused of raping a transsexual in a Worcester flat.
Judge Abbas Mithani QC urged a jury of seven men and five women to approach their verdict with a clear head and not with a feeling of outrage about the sort of behaviour they had heard.
The accused, 32-year-old Barry Dearlove, of South Park Avenue, Didcot, Oxfordshire, pleads not guilty at Worcester Crown Court to the rape of a pre-operative transsexual.
The court was told that the couple had returned to her flat after a night-out at the Brewery tap pub in Lowesmoor on May 1 last year. Her boyfriend was ill and sleeping on the floor because of a bad back.
The prosecution alleged that Dearlove followed her into the bathroom and forced himself upon her. But he told the court that they had only been involved in kissing and cuddling before they went to bed.
The trial continues.