THE daughter of a war veteran who died at a Worcester care home said he received the best love and care possible and was treated by staff like a member of their own family.

Kim Workman criticised a negative report by the Care Quality Commission about Norton Hall care home in Woodbury Park, Norton, Worcester which she says does not reflect the superb standard of care on offer.

Her father Ron Walker, aged 90, originally from Evesham and who fought for the RAF in the Second World War, died of vascular dementia at Norton Hall on January 7 following an earlier stroke.

The grandfather was secretary of the Burma Star Association in Evesham and a standard bearer. He was described by his daughter as a ‘fantastic father’ and a regular at VJ Remembrance services, wearing his medals with pride. During the war he provided vital intelligence to the Allies in the fight against the Japanese, faced enemy sniper fire and may have saved the lives of villagers by persuading them to come with him before the Japanese arrived.

Mrs Workman, aged 52, of Churchill Road, Sedgeberrow said: “The way the home dealt with his last few hours should be used as an example to other homes. They made sure I was able to be with him. It is because of the care and love shown to myself and dad on that day (the day he died) that I am now able to cope with the hard task of making arrangements for his funeral. I was also able to tell my 87 year old mum Edna that my dad died peacefully and with dignity. I will forever be indebted to Norton Hall for allowing my dad to live the last years of his life with an extended family who loved him as much as we did.”

Mrs Workman said a report published by the Care Quality Commission earlier this month which called for improvements in cleanliness did not reflect the standard of care delivered at Norton Hall, focusing too much on problems and not enough on ‘the human side of care’. She also said, in the many times she visited, the sheets on the beds were ‘spotless’. She also said her father’s health and happiness improved ‘dramatically’ while he was there from 2010, so much so that a pressure ulcer he had suffered for a year healed. They also helped him use a knife and fork and drink from a cup and saucer which he had struggled to do after his stroke.

She said relatives considering a home for a member of their family could not choose a better place.

His funeral will be held at All Saints Church in Evesham tomorrow at 1.30pm when there will be standard bearers from the RAF and the Royal British Legion. The last post will be played and refreshments will be available for friends and family at the town hall afterwards.