Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Darren Purchase sex offences trial latest
5:30pm Friday 25th January 2013 in News
AN attempt had been made to demonise a Worcester bus driver accused of a spate of sex offences over a period of 25 years, his barrister told a jury.
Prosecutor James Dunstan had described Darren Purchase, aged 44, as "a sexual shark" because of his treatment of women.
But defence counsel Jason Aris said it was unfair to "attach a dorsal fin" to the back of an accused man.
He was making his final speech at Worcester Crown Court on behalf of Purchase, of Hayfield Close, St John's, Worcester, who has denied rape, buggery and indecent assault.
Mr Aris said witnesses had given evidence during the five-week trial of how Purchase had been discreet and caring in his attitude towards women. His workmates had no complaints and described him as "a nice caring bloke."
He had waived his right of silence during three police interviews and he had helped their investigation by disclosing information about the women in his life.
Mr Aris said the prosecution "boat" had hit rocks and sprung a leak in places during the case.
He will continue his closing speech on Monday when Judge Robert Juckes QC will sum up the case.
The trial continues.