Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Couple’s lucky escape as fire spreads to loft
A WORCESTER couple had a lucky escape when they awoke to find a fire in their bathroom.
The couple, of Winchester Avenue, St John’s, were woken at about 6.64am yesterday by the smell of burning. A light fitting in the bathroom had overheated and caused a fire in the loft.
The residents called 999 and two crews from Worcester fire station rushed to the scene. The firefighters isolated the electric system, put out the fire and then used thermal imaging equipment to ensure the fire had not spread. Watch Commander Adrian Farmer said: “It was fortunate that the occupants were at home and noticed the fire before it had chance to develop further.” He confirmed no one was injured and that damage was limited to insulation in the loft and a small amount of cutting away above the bathroom.
The crews also installed new smoke alarms before leaving, and called at neighbouring properties to offer home fire safety advice.
He said: “This highlights the difference that an early alert can make. We would urge everyone to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted.”