A MAN who headbutted two people as they queued for a late night takeaway had downed vodka and lager as he celebrated getting a new job, a court was told.

Aaron Rao had gone into Worcester with his best friend and partner after finding work having been unemployed for a year.

Sarah Stock, prosecuting at Worcester Magistrates Court, said Rao, aged 23, had been drinking vodka and lager and was “quite drunk” when he entered McDon-ald’s, on The Cross, at about 3.30am on October 26 last year.

She said the restaurant was busy and that Rao’s two victims, James Llewelyn and Joshua Henry, were in the queue for food.

Rao approached Mr Llew-elyn and accused him of speaking to his girlfriend.

He then butted Mr Henry on his nose and forehead, sending him to the floor.

Mr Llewelyn told him to leave his friend alone and was then butted himself. Mr Henry suffered a bruised nose and a black eye and was taken by ambulance to Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

Mr Llewelyn, who was also taken to hospital, later told police the attack had left him with a “permanent scar and a noticeably disfigured nose”.

He said the attack had left him with “no faith or trust in people” and that he had lost all confidence and was struggling to sleep.

David Ollivere, defending, described it as a “most unsavoury incident” and said it had been fuelled by a mixture of alcohol and a misplaced impulse to protect his long-term girlfriend.

“He had gone into Worcester to celebrate getting a job and unfortunately the night descended in the most unsavoury manner,” he said. “His partner was in the queue when she came across Mr Henry, who she knew when she was younger.

“A comment was made that upset her and it was at this point that he intervened in a completely inappropriate manner.” Mr Ollivere said Rao looked at the incident with “a great deal of regret” and had learnt from it.

“His alcohol intake has been reduced and he rarely goes out and keeps himself to himself,” he added.

Rao, of Sherrards Green Road, Malvern, admitted two charges of common assault and was sentenced to a 12-month community order with 80 hours of unpaid work. He must also pay each of his victims compensation of £125.

Chairman of the bench Richard Poppleton told him: “You may not have been carrying a baseball bat but clearly the skull is quite a serious weapon.”