DEVASTATED brides-to-be have been left out of pocket and desperately trying to find new venues for their big days after all weddings at The Inn at Stonehall were cancelled.
Fifteen couples received an email from caterer Adrian Roberts, of Four Leaf Clover, on Saturday afternoon saying it was unlikely their weddings would go ahead at the venue, near Kempsey.
The venue is owned by Joanna Coull, but events are staged by Mr Roberts and his Warwickshire firm Four Leaf Clover who was brought in as an outside caterer when the previous chef left at the end of October.
Mr Roberts said he had decided to ‘back away’ from The Inn at Stonehall because he was unable to move forward with the business.
Bride-to-be Natalie Lewis, from Wigton Place, Worcester, had just returned from her hen do when she read the news that her wedding reception on Saturday, March 30, had been cancelled.
She is due to fly out to Mexico in two weeks to marry Alexander Peel and had planned to hold the reception at The Inn at Stonehall after the two week trip because her pregnant sister was unable to fly out.
Invites to 100 guests were about to be sent out and now she and her mother are desperately trying to find somewhere else to hold the reception.
She said: “When I read the email I just burst into tears. It has caused so much stress.
“We booked about 12 months ago after we had a look around and absolutely fell in love with the place.
“My parents were due to go next week to settle the balance so I am just so glad they hadn’t paid more to them as well.”
Unfortunately the couple believe they have lost their £250 deposit as well as £150 they paid for the invites.
They are also worried about money they have paid for cakes, the DJ, decorations and photography if they cannot find an alternative venue on a day that will suit their suppliers.
Another bride-to-be Charlotte Berlyn, 34, was due to marry at the end of July after she and fiance Wayne Tomkins, 34, fell in love with the beautiful setting and delicious food.
The Angel Hotel in Pershore has now agreed to host the couple’s wedding but they are doubtful they will have their £250 deposit returned.
“That’s what’s annoying me the most because my mother-in-law-to-be had paid and I feel awful that this has happened,” said Miss Berlyn, from Pershore.
“We’re on a very tight budget as we’re a family with three children and we’re currently on one income as I have had a baby and I don’t want my parents or his parents having to pay more.”
Mrs Coull said she felt absolutely horrendous about the situation but was only made aware the email had been sent out after she was contacted by unhappy couples.
“I felt absolutely gobsmacked,” she said.
Mr Roberts said: “We have tried to do the right thing by everybody.”
He has now promised to return deposits paid to his company by five of the couples by Friday.