Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Man escapes house in Hanley Castle fire after smoke alarm goes off
A SOFA fire last night highlighted the importance of having a working smoke alarm.
The male occupant of a house in Drakes Place, the Rhydd, near Hanley Castle, was alerted to the fire in a sun room on the ground floor of the property by the alarm at just before midnight.
Fire crews from Upton and Worcester attended the incident and extinguished the fire, which is believed to have started accidentally, with four firefighters in breathing apparatus using two hose reels and a covering jet.
No one was injured but there was fire damage to the leather sofa and a door in the sun room, with further smoke damage in the adjoining kitchen.
Station Commander Gary Jay, from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fortunately the occupant was alerted by his smoke alarm and was able to escape unharmed from his house.
“This incident shows just why we promote the importance of smoke alarms and I’d everyone to check their own alarms are in working order.”
The fire services recommends smoke alarms are fitted on every level of your home and are tested on a weekly basis.