Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Recycling plant fire started of its own accord - fire service
5:40pm Monday 29th July 2013 in News
A FIRE which has been burning at a recycling plant for six weeks is thought to have been caused by spontaneous combustion.
Mark Preece, Incident Commander with Hereford and Worcester Fire & Rescue Service, said it was “fairly certain” that the Lawrence Recycling blaze in Kidderminster on June 16 began of its own accord when the material began to decompose and produce heat.
He said there was no third party involvement.
At its height, 80 firefighters battled the Stourport Road blaze.
In the last two weeks, a final bid to stop the fire has begun.
It involves the demolition of two fire-damaged bays which will cost £250,000.
The cost is being met by the Environment Agency, Hereford and Worcester Fire & Rescue Service, Wyre Forest District Council and Worcestershire County Council because the company is currently unable to meet the costs.
Unburnt waste has been removed from the main building site and taken to landfill.
The district council said it would be monitoring the air quality in the area while the building was demolished.
Comments are closed on this article.