Fire dad is hero as son is saved from Malvern house blaze

David Carter-Coates and his wife Natasha.

David Carter-Coates and his wife Natasha.

First published in News by

A ONE-year-old boy had a lucky escape after he was rescued from a blazing room by his hero dad.

Little Harley Carter-Coates was just metres away from a fire that broke out in his family home in Moat Way, Malvern, while he was sleeping on Thursday night.

Luckily for the youngster his dad David acted quickly after hearing the fire alarms around 9.30pm and snatched his son away from the growing inferno.

Mum Natasha, aged 25, said he was her hero. "He is definitely a hero. It was very scary."

The cause of the fire is thought to be a romantic night gone wrong.

Mr Carter-Coates said he had been trying to create a romantic atmosphere while his wife was in the bath by lighting candles.

But it was one of these candles stood on a computer table, which was knocked over by Harley, who has two older siblings, onto a chair setting it alight and spreading to the curtains and duvet cover.

Mrs Carter-Coates said: "I was in the bath just back from an exercise class. Our youngest son had knocked over a lit candle in our front bedroom. The fire alarms started going off.

"David ran in and he (Harley) was just stood there looking at it.

"The smoke alarms save lives, it doesn't bear thinking about if they hadn't gone off. Two minutes later, so lucky but that's down to David being a hero."

Mr Carter-Coates, a lead station assistant at Foregate Street Station in Worcester, added: "I got Harley out and lobbed the computer chair in the bath and ripped the curtains down and threw them out the window.

"You just go on automatic, you need to save everyone, your family and the house. I just kept thinking I need to get the kids out.

While the family were not seriously hurt Mr Carter-Coates suffered burns to his foot and all three needed treatment for smoke inhalation and were taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

The damage to the house was also minimal.

"At least we can replace stuff," said Mr Carter-Coates. "You can't replace your family."

The couple also said they were grateful to their neighbours, who helped them during the emergency.

"We must thank Katrina Adams, Marc Grey and Becky Brown," they added.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:53pm Mon 20 Jan 14

truth must out says...

So he left a one year old unattended in a room with lighted candles.............
......just saying.
So he left a one year old unattended in a room with lighted candles............. ......just saying. truth must out
  • Score: 23

7:08pm Mon 20 Jan 14

broken6 says...

I agree. Hero or irresponsible idiot?
I agree. Hero or irresponsible idiot? broken6
  • Score: 24

7:25pm Mon 20 Jan 14

New Kid on the Block says...

Good job he had a smoke alarm.
I have just checked the battery in mine after reading this.
Good job he had a smoke alarm. I have just checked the battery in mine after reading this. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: 11

3:18pm Tue 21 Jan 14

inkiponk says...

I agree with you both broken6 and truth must out. Who leaves a one year old unattended near a naked flame?! On another note i hope his wife had got out the bath before he lobbed the chair in there. Could of been a more entertaining story! lol
I agree with you both broken6 and truth must out. Who leaves a one year old unattended near a naked flame?! On another note i hope his wife had got out the bath before he lobbed the chair in there. Could of been a more entertaining story! lol inkiponk
  • Score: 3

5:06pm Tue 21 Jan 14

bigboobzbeans says...

idiot..!!!
idiot..!!! bigboobzbeans
  • Score: 2

2:41pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Tjcarter says...

For all your information our youngest had got of bed while my husband was getting a hot drink ever heard of an accident or never made a mistake my husband is a hero it could have been a lot worse if it weren't for his quick thinking everything in the article is not correct!! Think before you write as we already feel bad enough!!!
For all your information our youngest had got of bed while my husband was getting a hot drink ever heard of an accident or never made a mistake my husband is a hero it could have been a lot worse if it weren't for his quick thinking everything in the article is not correct!! Think before you write as we already feel bad enough!!! Tjcarter
  • Score: -4

3:04pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Jabbadad says...

And if your Husband left Candles around upstairs with Kids about, asleep or not, to create a romantic ambience, it really was daft thing to do. And NO we haven't all done such daft things as this.
Yes he was quick thinking and brave.
However think yourself lucky that you are not mourning a loss of life.
And if your Husband left Candles around upstairs with Kids about, asleep or not, to create a romantic ambience, it really was daft thing to do. And NO we haven't all done such daft things as this. Yes he was quick thinking and brave. However think yourself lucky that you are not mourning a loss of life. Jabbadad
  • Score: 3

3:12pm Wed 22 Jan 14

CJH says...

Tjcarter wrote:
For all your information our youngest had got of bed while my husband was getting a hot drink ever heard of an accident or never made a mistake my husband is a hero it could have been a lot worse if it weren't for his quick thinking everything in the article is not correct!! Think before you write as we already feel bad enough!!!
So you're saying it's your sons fault?
[quote][p][bold]Tjcarter[/bold] wrote: For all your information our youngest had got of bed while my husband was getting a hot drink ever heard of an accident or never made a mistake my husband is a hero it could have been a lot worse if it weren't for his quick thinking everything in the article is not correct!! Think before you write as we already feel bad enough!!![/p][/quote]So you're saying it's your sons fault? CJH
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree