Three wards at Worcestershire Royal Hospital closed due to norovirus

Three wards at Worcestershire Royal Hospital closed due to norovirus

Three wards at Worcestershire Royal Hospital closed due to norovirus

First published in News

THREE wards at Worcestershire Royal Hospital are currently closed to visitors due to outbreaks of norovirus.

Beech Two, Avon Three and the Acute Medical Unit at the hospital are closed following outbreaks of the infection, which causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

Friends and family are asked to only visit patients on these wards in an emergency and to phone ahead before travelling.

There is no treatment for norovirus except for letting it run its course and people suffering from the illness are advised to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration, wash their hands thoroughly after using the toilet and not prepare food for others until at least 48 hours after symptoms have subsided.

Towels and flannels should also not be shared and all surfaces should be thoroughly disinfected.

All other wards at the hospital as well as Kidderminster Hospital and Redditch’s Alexandra Hospital are open as normal.

For up-to-date information on ward closures visit worcsacute.nhs.uk.

For advice on norovirus call your GP or NHS 111.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

sunnside says...

what do they expect when they allow patients to go outside and smoke while still wearing their pyjamas and nighties then they return to the ward bringing in all the dirt on the bottom of their slippers,in my opinion if their well enough to smoke their well enough to go home.
what do they expect when they allow patients to go outside and smoke while still wearing their pyjamas and nighties then they return to the ward bringing in all the dirt on the bottom of their slippers,in my opinion if their well enough to smoke their well enough to go home. sunnside
  • Score: 7

8:31am Tue 8 Apr 14

green49 says...

Last time i went to visit someone in WRH the ward was dirty, the cleaner didnt clean properly, and i am not surprised about it, some people who go to visit turn up in dirty work clothes etc and no one will stop you if you want to walk around the place, i did it to prove a point, the place is disgusting and its about time the management got a grip.
Last time i went to visit someone in WRH the ward was dirty, the cleaner didnt clean properly, and i am not surprised about it, some people who go to visit turn up in dirty work clothes etc and no one will stop you if you want to walk around the place, i did it to prove a point, the place is disgusting and its about time the management got a grip. green49
  • Score: 4

10:27am Tue 8 Apr 14

tub_thumper says...

Erm, talk about jumping in the band wagon!

I work at the hospital as a HCA and I can tell you now that patients who have the Norovirus are placed into a side-room following the first two symptoms of very loose stools and will not be allowed to leave their room until 48 hours after their last symptom. The toilets are kept for single patient use and the rooms are thouroughly bleach-cleaned after patient use.

Also, the wards are closed to visitors. And even when there is no case of Noro (when a patient still requires a side room due to infection risk or neutropenia) then visitors must wear aprons and gloves before entering the room.

One problem I do find is the transferring of patient to appointments and admissions during a Norovirus closure. But, people still need medical help regardless.

The general public are much to blame. There are alcohol sanitisers situated everywhere yet people still fail to use them. In fact, soap and water is better for the prevention of Norovirus as alcohol doesn't always work. The automatic sanitiser dispensers are for the public convenience (because apparently it's really hard to actually wash your hands in soap and water).

Out of 18 of the main wards at the hospital (including A&E) then the three wards that are shut leaves a statistic of 16.66% of the hospital that is closed. So you can be safe in the knowledge that you can walk around, infection free, through the rest of the 83.34% of the hospital.

I'm not getting upset about your comments because I work there. I just find it irritating when people focus on a small negative compared to all the amazing things that hospitals do for us.

The Norovirus is inevitable. I've had it from being in patient contact regardless of all measures that I took before entering the room. A lot of contamination is due to the virus being airborne (and I was wearing a duckbill mask too)!

So yeah, virus' and bacteria spead. Just deal with it.
Erm, talk about jumping in the band wagon! I work at the hospital as a HCA and I can tell you now that patients who have the Norovirus are placed into a side-room following the first two symptoms of very loose stools and will not be allowed to leave their room until 48 hours after their last symptom. The toilets are kept for single patient use and the rooms are thouroughly bleach-cleaned after patient use. Also, the wards are closed to visitors. And even when there is no case of Noro (when a patient still requires a side room due to infection risk or neutropenia) then visitors must wear aprons and gloves before entering the room. One problem I do find is the transferring of patient to appointments and admissions during a Norovirus closure. But, people still need medical help regardless. The general public are much to blame. There are alcohol sanitisers situated everywhere yet people still fail to use them. In fact, soap and water is better for the prevention of Norovirus as alcohol doesn't always work. The automatic sanitiser dispensers are for the public convenience (because apparently it's really hard to actually wash your hands in soap and water). Out of 18 of the main wards at the hospital (including A&E) then the three wards that are shut leaves a statistic of 16.66% of the hospital that is closed. So you can be safe in the knowledge that you can walk around, infection free, through the rest of the 83.34% of the hospital. I'm not getting upset about your comments because I work there. I just find it irritating when people focus on a small negative compared to all the amazing things that hospitals do for us. The Norovirus is inevitable. I've had it from being in patient contact regardless of all measures that I took before entering the room. A lot of contamination is due to the virus being airborne (and I was wearing a duckbill mask too)! So yeah, virus' and bacteria spead. Just deal with it. tub_thumper
  • Score: 5

1:18pm Tue 8 Apr 14

green49 says...

tub_thumper says...The general public are much to blame. There are alcohol sanitisers situated everywhere yet people still fail to use them. In fact, soap and water is better for the prevention of Norovirus as alcohol doesn't always work. The automatic sanitiser dispensers are for the public convenience (because apparently it's really hard to actually wash your hands in soap and water).

Totally agree with these comments its mainly what i am saying but when on my last visit 3 out of the first 4 automatic sanitiser dispensers were empty and when i said to a nurse about them she said they had been reported 2 days before and they had not been done yet, well makes the point really, i do use both the sanitiseres and old fashioned soap and water when i am in the WRH sadly to say not even all the Doctors and Nurses use them as much as they should, thats been my observation, too busy sometimes were the answers when i asked why they had not washed hands from one patient to another thats what they are supposed to do. I will add that the waste bins are not always emptied properly either, i know i have seen it,
tub_thumper says...The general public are much to blame. There are alcohol sanitisers situated everywhere yet people still fail to use them. In fact, soap and water is better for the prevention of Norovirus as alcohol doesn't always work. The automatic sanitiser dispensers are for the public convenience (because apparently it's really hard to actually wash your hands in soap and water). Totally agree with these comments its mainly what i am saying but when on my last visit 3 out of the first 4 automatic sanitiser dispensers were empty and when i said to a nurse about them she said they had been reported 2 days before and they had not been done yet, well makes the point really, i do use both the sanitiseres and old fashioned soap and water when i am in the WRH sadly to say not even all the Doctors and Nurses use them as much as they should, thats been my observation, too busy sometimes were the answers when i asked why they had not washed hands from one patient to another thats what they are supposed to do. I will add that the waste bins are not always emptied properly either, i know i have seen it, green49
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree