Pleasure as early proposals show bus cuts in Pershore may not be as bad as feared (From Worcester News)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Pleasure as early proposals show bus cuts in Pershore may not be as bad as feared
11:30am Wednesday 28th May 2014 in News
PERSHORE bus services may not be cut back as much as had been feared, according to an early preview of the newly proposed timetable.
At a special meeting of Pershore Town Council on Tuesday this week members met to discuss what changes will be made to the timetable.
And although the final decision on the cut backs will not be made until a Worcestershire County Council cabinet meeting on Monday, June 9, councillors were positive about what was being put forward.
Currently the plans show the loss of a subsidised service from Pershore to Upton Snodsbury and Peopleton altogether and the possible cutting of the town's only remaining Sunday bus service.
Reductions to afternoon and evening services were also made across the board and it was suggested the county council were unlikely to offer a subsidised service on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Despite this councillors, who had feared all services could be lost, were positive about the changes.
Councillor Charles Tucker, who has led a campaign with county councillor Liz Tucker and other residents to stop the cut backs in Pershore and the surrounding villages, said he was "cautiously encoraged".
"If we have this timetable I think Pershore is very lucky but it is early days," he said.
A positive to come from the meeting was the revelation people would be able to use their bus pass on particular services before 9.30am from September.
One issue was raised by town clerk Ann Dobbins regarding the length of time people travelling into Pershore from Inkberrow would have to wait until a return bus was available.
The council decided the bus group, a collection of councillors, were able to make enquiries with the county council as to how routes could be amended to tackle this without taking on an extra service.
A decision was also made to let them discuss with service providers the possibility of retaining the Sunday 166 service between Worcester and Stratford, but this is likely to take place after the cabinet meeting.
Cllr Val Wood thanked the bus group for their hard work and Pershore mayor, Cllr Tony Rowley, said: "If what we have is what we get the group have done very well. I am also pleased Pensham has been added to the route.
"We have got something out of this now that we can work with."
Comments are closed on this article.