Keeping park and ride is 'impossible' due to cuts, says council leader

Councillor Adrian Hardman, county council leader

Councillor Adrian Hardman, county council leader

First published in News Worcester News: Tom Edwards by , Political Reporter

THE leader of Worcestershire County Council has insisted keeping park and rides going became "impossible" - and believes the public don't care about them enough.

Councillor Adrian Hardman told your Worcester News he decided against using more taxpayers' cash to keep the loss-making Perdiswell and Sixways sites in operation after looking at the staggering decline in usage.

He also said the total annual cost of running them, which hit £296,870 last year, became harder to justify at a time when around £100 million needs to be saved by 2018.

As your Worcester News revealed yesterday, the council has approved £1.6 million of cuts to public transport spending from September.

As part of the plan both of the park and rides will close, which had led to fierce criticism.

Cllr Hardman said: "For a long time we have tried to deliver park and ride services for Worcester, indeed at one time it was a keystone policy.

"But it's been an impossible thing to deliver and the figures show that.

"We put an enormous amount of time and effort into the consultation, and from that we have got clear views from the public as to what they see as being most important.

"We've also paid a great deal of attention to the characteristics of the people likely to be affected by this and are confident we have passed all our equality duties."

He has also revealed that the Perdiswell park and ride land is leased from Worcester City Council at a cost of £40,000 and a similar arrangement exists for the Sixways facility, which is leased from Worcester Warriors.

He said the council "hasn't got the money" to justify promoting the sites more in light of the usage at Perdiswell, which peaked at 450,000 yearly customers in 2008 but fell to 274,935 last year.

His stance came as he faced more criticism from bus users yesterday, who contacted your Worcester News.

Peter Jenkins, 61, of Main Road, Hallow, said: "The Perdiswell park and ride is brilliant - it makes you wonder why they are getting rid of it.

"Does any public transport ever become profitable? Surely some services will always require a subsidy."

Of the 97 bus routes under threat 13 are being scrapped entirely, 17 will stay the same, at least five are upping fares and 52 will provide 'similar' timetables, with a handful improved and the rest slightly less frequent.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:39am Fri 13 Jun 14

ray1111 says...

i totally agree with him , most of us do not use them and would have to drive across Worcester to get to the park and ride sites. i do not want to subsidise some thing that i would never use.
i totally agree with him , most of us do not use them and would have to drive across Worcester to get to the park and ride sites. i do not want to subsidise some thing that i would never use. ray1111
  • Score: 0

10:42am Fri 13 Jun 14

green49 says...

Council should listen to the public who the majority said they didnt want it in the first place, it has never been a success and it only really benefitted the people out of the city, it didnt deal with the traffic problem mostly it added to it, the idea of park and ride is from A to B not calling at all the stops inbetween when there is a service already up and running doing that, the P&R has been going down for ages yet it was kept running for the minority,

get the smaller buses running again and make public transport useable thats the councils job, the millions thats been squandered on it and now its a disaster.
Council should listen to the public who the majority said they didnt want it in the first place, it has never been a success and it only really benefitted the people out of the city, it didnt deal with the traffic problem mostly it added to it, the idea of park and ride is from A to B not calling at all the stops inbetween when there is a service already up and running doing that, the P&R has been going down for ages yet it was kept running for the minority, get the smaller buses running again and make public transport useable thats the councils job, the millions thats been squandered on it and now its a disaster. green49
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree