Alan Amos has abused the office of the Mayor of Worcester, says former chain-holder

Worcester News: Councillor Alan Amos, the new Mayor of Worcester Councillor Alan Amos, the new Mayor of Worcester

A FORMER Mayor of Worcester has laid into the city's controversial new first citizen - saying he has abused "a great honour and privilege".

Councillor Liz Smith, the city's lone Liberal Democrat, says the Alan Amos saga will not go away until he explains his rise to the mayoralty.

The veteran politician has also accused Cllr Amos of "holding a gun" to Worcester's Conservative Party in order to promote his own ambitions.

Her fresh criticism is among the most stark the new mayor has had to face from rival councillors, with Cllr Smith saying the city's politicians have all been damaged in recent weeks.

Cllr Smith, who was Mayor of Worcester in 1995/96, said: "Cllr Amos has used the vulnerability of the council to promote his own ambitions by holding a gun to the head of Worcester’s Conservative leadership, pushing aside their own long-favoured candidate in a grab for power.

"He has abandoned his party twice and shows no indication that cherished policies or beliefs have played a part in his decisions.

"If those decisions or those of the Conservative leadership were principled ones the public, who value transparency in public office, should be given an explanation.

"However all the evidence points to this not being the case."

When Worcester City Council first ended up in no overall control in 2012 Cllr Smith backed a minority Tory administration, before switching sides last year to allow Labour to form a shock coup.

She said on both of those deals, the "agreements or negotiations are in the public domain", adding: "The difference this time is that none of this has happened".

"It is this, I believe, rather than the intrusion of politics which has upset so many, including myself," she said.

As your Worcester News revealed last month Cllr Amos, who represents Warndon, suddenly resigned from the Labour Party to become an independent.

Two days later he used his vote to allow the Conservatives to take back power, and was made the new mayor by the Tories on the same night.

Cllr Amos had tried to become Labour's new deputy mayoral candidate a few days beforehand but after losing out to Councillor Jabba Riaz, resigned.

After quitting he said he had "not felt part of the Labour leadership for some time" but has refused to speak about it further.

Cllr Smith has faced criticism from the Tories in recent weeks, with Councillor Marc Bayliss using Twitter to say she "sold out" last year.

THE QUESTIONS WE WANT ANSWERED

YOUR Worcester News has put a series of questions to Councillor Alan Amos which as of today are still unanswered.

To refresh his memory on behalf of our readers they are:

- What would you say to the people of Warndon who elected you under a Labour banner with the biggest majority in the city?

- If the Conservatives had refused to make you the mayor, would you still have voted for a change of administration?

- Did you make becoming the new Mayor of Worcester a condition for allowing the Tories to take over?

- Why did you decide against resigning and fighting a by-election?

- You were a Conservative MP until 1992 - are you planning to rejoin the party?

- Have you asked for or been offered any other inducements for backing a change of control?

Comments (52)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:58pm Mon 16 Jun 14

3thinker says...

His worshipfulness may find the attached hints from "Joining the Chain Gang" the How to be a Mayor workbook useful.

Handling the media

Don’t respond to press calls that come out of the blue. Ask for background information and a deadline, then respond when you have prepared your answer.

Think of key messages and good, punchy quotes you can give to the media.
Don’t point the finger, complain or consistently say ‘no comment’. This could get you a bad reputation.

Build a long-term relationship with the media. For example, write letters and suggest news stories.

Don’t use jargon or council-speak, and don’t use inflammatory words – these might come back to haunt you.

Act quickly and have a consistent approach to media enquiries. Be honest, concise and helpful.
His worshipfulness may find the attached hints from "Joining the Chain Gang" the How to be a Mayor workbook useful. Handling the media Don’t respond to press calls that come out of the blue. Ask for background information and a deadline, then respond when you have prepared your answer. Think of key messages and good, punchy quotes you can give to the media. Don’t point the finger, complain or consistently say ‘no comment’. This could get you a bad reputation. Build a long-term relationship with the media. For example, write letters and suggest news stories. Don’t use jargon or council-speak, and don’t use inflammatory words – these might come back to haunt you. Act quickly and have a consistent approach to media enquiries. Be honest, concise and helpful.  3thinker
  • Score: 4

5:29pm Mon 16 Jun 14

CJH says...

What the heck is a "chain-holder"? Hasn't the position of mayor been devalued enough recently?
What the heck is a "chain-holder"? Hasn't the position of mayor been devalued enough recently? CJH
  • Score: 7

6:17pm Mon 16 Jun 14

imustbeoldiwearacap says...

Not a chain-holder, more an albatross around the neck of Worcester citizens! (and in Amos' case that's insulting to an albatross!)
Not a chain-holder, more an albatross around the neck of Worcester citizens! (and in Amos' case that's insulting to an albatross!) imustbeoldiwearacap
  • Score: 13

8:35pm Mon 16 Jun 14

pinkfluff says...

Alan Amos has abused the office of the Mayor of Worcester, says former chain-holder........
no s**t Sherlock!! Tell us something we don't know lol.
Alan Amos has abused the office of the Mayor of Worcester, says former chain-holder........ no s**t Sherlock!! Tell us something we don't know lol. pinkfluff
  • Score: 10

9:32pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Chris.Styles says...

When is he back from holiday? or is he in hiding from the good people of his ward and city? If he had an inch of decency in him, he would do the decent thing and resign. However he's not decent is he....
When is he back from holiday? or is he in hiding from the good people of his ward and city? If he had an inch of decency in him, he would do the decent thing and resign. However he's not decent is he.... Chris.Styles
  • Score: 14

10:23pm Mon 16 Jun 14

gmoore1207 says...

the man is a complete a hole
the man is a complete a hole gmoore1207
  • Score: 14

10:39pm Mon 16 Jun 14

moseby says...

Worcester News... Please please please use your influence to put more pressure on this self promoting buffoon. Worcester deserves so much better and something needs to be done.
Worcester News... Please please please use your influence to put more pressure on this self promoting buffoon. Worcester deserves so much better and something needs to be done. moseby
  • Score: 22

10:49pm Mon 16 Jun 14

moseby says...

Support the petition!

http://www.ipetition
s.com/petition/alan-
amos-must-resign

Don't stand for this Worcester!
Support the petition! http://www.ipetition s.com/petition/alan- amos-must-resign Don't stand for this Worcester! moseby
  • Score: 12

11:05pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Baldrick1955 says...

Will the Worcester News still be running the weekly Mayor column? i wonder,
Will the Worcester News still be running the weekly Mayor column? i wonder, Baldrick1955
  • Score: 15

11:52pm Mon 16 Jun 14

ray1111 says...

SO WHEN RIAZ was offered deputy mayor that was because he has been a long standing labour party councillor or because he has great respect across worcester for the tireless work he has done for the city over many many years ? Nothing to do with leaving the tories for a safe seat , nothing like conviction politics is there ..
SO WHEN RIAZ was offered deputy mayor that was because he has been a long standing labour party councillor or because he has great respect across worcester for the tireless work he has done for the city over many many years ? Nothing to do with leaving the tories for a safe seat , nothing like conviction politics is there .. ray1111
  • Score: -10

12:36am Tue 17 Jun 14

marko12345 says...

Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone
Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone marko12345
  • Score: -31

6:43am Tue 17 Jun 14

Spetchley Dave says...

Alan Amos' actions are deplorable but all he needs to do is tough it out for a few weeks.

Your Worcester News soon got tired of the incessant stories it ran about Bill Longmore appointing his crony Barry Sheldon as DPCC and they will soon lose interest in this "story" too.

Unfortunately this will only be "newsworthy" for a couple more weeks at most and Amos knows this. He is going nowhere (except on holidays) so we all just better get used to it. The people of Worcester just need to remember his actions when he faces the voters next.
Alan Amos' actions are deplorable but all he needs to do is tough it out for a few weeks. Your Worcester News soon got tired of the incessant stories it ran about Bill Longmore appointing his crony Barry Sheldon as DPCC and they will soon lose interest in this "story" too. Unfortunately this will only be "newsworthy" for a couple more weeks at most and Amos knows this. He is going nowhere (except on holidays) so we all just better get used to it. The people of Worcester just need to remember his actions when he faces the voters next. Spetchley Dave
  • Score: 12

8:54am Tue 17 Jun 14

Ted Elgar says...

Every time I think people are going to stop signing the petition.. some more do. http://ipt.io/rvud (260 so far).
I did notice the Riaz family dropped in to sign this week.. no sense of double standards there eh chaps?
Every time I think people are going to stop signing the petition.. some more do. http://ipt.io/rvud (260 so far). I did notice the Riaz family dropped in to sign this week.. no sense of double standards there eh chaps? Ted Elgar
  • Score: 7

10:02am Tue 17 Jun 14

themooman says...

marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone
you sir, are a chump!!!Cllr Amos is a tool. Take him out worcester news!!
[quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone[/p][/quote]you sir, are a chump!!!Cllr Amos is a tool. Take him out worcester news!! themooman
  • Score: 9

10:22am Tue 17 Jun 14

3thinker says...

Despite being vehemently anti-establishment Amos did something similar after last year's County Council elections.

He got the Labour Group to put his name forward for the ceremonial role as County County Chairman (the County equivalent of Mayor).

A further irony was the reason his Labour chums said he was well equipped for the role was because of his past experience as a Conservative MP.

I assume Amos is so full of his own self importance that he sees himself above Party and principles so long as he gets the status and respect he thinks he deserves.
Despite being vehemently anti-establishment Amos did something similar after last year's County Council elections. He got the Labour Group to put his name forward for the ceremonial role as County County Chairman (the County equivalent of Mayor). A further irony was the reason his Labour chums said he was well equipped for the role was because of his past experience as a Conservative MP. I assume Amos is so full of his own self importance that he sees himself above Party and principles so long as he gets the status and respect he thinks he deserves. 3thinker
  • Score: 14

10:58am Tue 17 Jun 14

ringthembells says...

Have a look at http://www.worcester
.gov.uk/mayorsblog/

On his first Mayor's blogpost, Cllr Amos tells everyone how excited he is about being Mayor, because "it is the highest honour that the City can bestow on anyone."

Right about it being an honour, but deeply wrong in every other way. Sorry to disabuse you Councillor, but the City did not bestow this on you, you were given it by Cllr Gergahty in return for your political co-operation.
Have a look at http://www.worcester .gov.uk/mayorsblog/ On his first Mayor's blogpost, Cllr Amos tells everyone how excited he is about being Mayor, because "it is the highest honour that the City can bestow on anyone." Right about it being an honour, but deeply wrong in every other way. Sorry to disabuse you Councillor, but the City did not bestow this on you, you were given it by Cllr Gergahty in return for your political co-operation. ringthembells
  • Score: 15

1:09pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Andy_R says...

The 'comments' section of the Mayor's blog isn't working, I wonder why that might be?
The 'comments' section of the Mayor's blog isn't working, I wonder why that might be? Andy_R
  • Score: 8

3:02pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Pomygranit says...

If you click 'Contact the Mayor' you get

If you would like to contact the Mayor of Worcester, Councillor Pat Agar,

Presume she has to take the flack.

Suggest we wait until it changes and then everyone 'Contact the Mayor' and express our views.
If you click 'Contact the Mayor' you get If you would like to contact the Mayor of Worcester, Councillor Pat Agar, Presume she has to take the flack. Suggest we wait until it changes and then everyone 'Contact the Mayor' and express our views. Pomygranit
  • Score: 10

8:47pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Keith B says...

Who has lost interest in the Bill Longmore appointing his crony Barry Sheldon as DPCC. With Longmore totally useless, due to an illness that even I wouldn't wish on him, unelected and illegally appointed Sheldon is defacto Commissioner. It is as corrupt as Brazils opening game win in the World Cup. I think the Government need to re-assess the commissioner policy and maybe re-think how our police services are managed. West Mercia got a very raw deal when Longmore was elected.
Who has lost interest in the Bill Longmore appointing his crony Barry Sheldon as DPCC. With Longmore totally useless, due to an illness that even I wouldn't wish on him, unelected and illegally appointed Sheldon is defacto Commissioner. It is as corrupt as Brazils opening game win in the World Cup. I think the Government need to re-assess the commissioner policy and maybe re-think how our police services are managed. West Mercia got a very raw deal when Longmore was elected. Keith B
  • Score: 7

8:47pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Keith B says...

.
. Keith B
  • Score: 3

8:51pm Tue 17 Jun 14

pinkfluff says...

marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone
LMFAO
[quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone his a nice bloke who cares if he is on a holiday or not or don't want to sit in stupid meetings wasteing tax payers money get a life w.n leave the man alone[/p][/quote]LMFAO pinkfluff
  • Score: 6

9:03pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Spetchley Dave says...

Who has lost interest? Your Worcester News that's who. They moved on and gave up and they will do the same with Amos. Give it two weeks, you will see. And Sheldon is de facto PCC in Longmore's absence and guess what, there is nothing we (or this newspaper) can do about it. Likewise Amos, we can shout all we want, he will be Mayor all year regardless. The time to shout is when he next faces the voters (if he has the guts to)
Who has lost interest? Your Worcester News that's who. They moved on and gave up and they will do the same with Amos. Give it two weeks, you will see. And Sheldon is de facto PCC in Longmore's absence and guess what, there is nothing we (or this newspaper) can do about it. Likewise Amos, we can shout all we want, he will be Mayor all year regardless. The time to shout is when he next faces the voters (if he has the guts to) Spetchley Dave
  • Score: 8

9:11pm Tue 17 Jun 14

3thinker says...

Keith B wrote:
.
Best comment so far Keith!
[quote][p][bold]Keith B[/bold] wrote: .[/p][/quote]Best comment so far Keith! 3thinker
  • Score: 5

9:15pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Tony Pingree says...

marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss
I hope that wasn't done on expenses.
[quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss[/p][/quote]I hope that wasn't done on expenses. Tony Pingree
  • Score: 4

10:14pm Tue 17 Jun 14

wooshman says...

Does it really matter who is Mayor seems a bit of a nonsense

As to the Tory labour it's all very boring
Does it really matter who is Mayor seems a bit of a nonsense As to the Tory labour it's all very boring wooshman
  • Score: -8

8:42am Wed 18 Jun 14

Pomygranit says...

Tony Pingree wrote:
marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss
I hope that wasn't done on expenses.
Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy
[quote][p][bold]Tony Pingree[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss[/p][/quote]I hope that wasn't done on expenses.[/p][/quote]Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy Pomygranit
  • Score: 6

9:54am Wed 18 Jun 14

Tony Pingree says...

Pomygranit wrote:
Tony Pingree wrote:
marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss
I hope that wasn't done on expenses.
Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy
I don't think it will take too much of a change.

After looking him up I found that Mayor Amos has been described as an ambitious, confirmed bachelor who liked the idea of birching children. He's also being arrested and cautioned for indecency on Hampstead Heath and for some reason loathes the police with a vengeance

Oh, and he doesn't like the press either.
[quote][p][bold]Pomygranit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony Pingree[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss[/p][/quote]I hope that wasn't done on expenses.[/p][/quote]Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy[/p][/quote]I don't think it will take too much of a change. After looking him up I found that Mayor Amos has been described as an ambitious, confirmed bachelor who liked the idea of birching children. He's also being arrested and cautioned for indecency on Hampstead Heath and for some reason loathes the police with a vengeance Oh, and he doesn't like the press either. Tony Pingree
  • Score: 8

10:32am Wed 18 Jun 14

3thinker says...

These are the views held by our new Mayor. The full article from the Spectator can be found here > http://archive.spect
ator.co.uk/article/1
8th-january-1997/22/
that-night-on-the-he
ath

'The Establishment', he says, is `corrupt' because its only interest is the preservation of its 'privilege and power'. The Tory Party is 'corrupt' because it is controlled by 'the Establishment'. The Tories have destroyed local government by `taking away all its powers'. Tory Party members are 'bigots' because they use `blacks, gays, the disabled' as 'scapegoats for society's ills'. 'Discrimination' against such groups is rife. The police are 'corrupt' as well. But he emphasised: 'I am not bit- ter, I am angry.'

But it was only post-Heath that Mr Amos saw the light — that the monarchy was the wicked symbol of all that was rot- ten.

Perhaps the Worcester News should be adding a few more questions to their list?

Why if the 'establishment' is corrupt was he so desperate to become Mayor?

Why if the Conservatives are 'corrupt' 'bigots' and have 'destroyed local government' did he do a deal with them so they could get back into power in Worcester?

If he thinks the Royal Family are 'wicked' how will he react if as Mayor he has to meet any of them as part of his duties?
These are the views held by our new Mayor. The full article from the Spectator can be found here > http://archive.spect ator.co.uk/article/1 8th-january-1997/22/ that-night-on-the-he ath 'The Establishment', he says, is `corrupt' because its only interest is the preservation of its 'privilege and power'. The Tory Party is 'corrupt' because it is controlled by 'the Establishment'. The Tories have destroyed local government by `taking away all its powers'. Tory Party members are 'bigots' because they use `blacks, gays, the disabled' as 'scapegoats for society's ills'. 'Discrimination' against such groups is rife. The police are 'corrupt' as well. But he emphasised: 'I am not bit- ter, I am angry.' But it was only post-Heath that Mr Amos saw the light — that the monarchy was the wicked symbol of all that was rot- ten. Perhaps the Worcester News should be adding a few more questions to their list? Why if the 'establishment' is corrupt was he so desperate to become Mayor? Why if the Conservatives are 'corrupt' 'bigots' and have 'destroyed local government' did he do a deal with them so they could get back into power in Worcester? If he thinks the Royal Family are 'wicked' how will he react if as Mayor he has to meet any of them as part of his duties? 3thinker
  • Score: 11

12:08pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Ted Elgar says...

It's always someone else's fault, not Alan's.
This petition will be people treating him unfairly.
The letter writers will be "awful people".

Politics a funny career for someone who doesn't actually seem to like people? Maybe he wants to impose his will on society in some way?
I wonder if Worcester is just a "lovely place" that is ruined by the people for him. A bit like France.. beautiful, but full of the French.
It's always someone else's fault, not Alan's. This petition will be people treating him unfairly. The letter writers will be "awful people". Politics a funny career for someone who doesn't actually seem to like people? Maybe he wants to impose his will on society in some way? I wonder if Worcester is just a "lovely place" that is ruined by the people for him. A bit like France.. beautiful, but full of the French. Ted Elgar
  • Score: 6

1:22pm Wed 18 Jun 14

sigh12 says...

http://www.ipetition
s.com/petition/alan-
amos-must-resign/?ut
m_medium=social&utm_
source=twitter&utm_c
ampaign=button

signed and shared on facebook.
http://www.ipetition s.com/petition/alan- amos-must-resign/?ut m_medium=social&utm_ source=twitter&utm_c ampaign=button signed and shared on facebook. sigh12
  • Score: 4

10:29pm Wed 18 Jun 14

liketoknow says...

Pomygranit wrote:
Tony Pingree wrote:
marko12345 wrote:
Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss
I hope that wasn't done on expenses.
Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy
Perhaps it comes with the chain and the robes
[quote][p][bold]Pomygranit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony Pingree[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marko12345[/bold] wrote: Why don't people just leave the man alone at least he isn't being bang by the chauffeur in the guildhall in Evey position like one of the ex mayor ss[/p][/quote]I hope that wasn't done on expenses.[/p][/quote]Who knows, if he can change political parties on a whim, what other changes may take his fancy[/p][/quote]Perhaps it comes with the chain and the robes liketoknow
  • Score: 3

12:41am Thu 19 Jun 14

jammer1010 says...

I've said this before in previous comments, but the biggest prize for the Conservatives of course, is winning the next general election with an overall majority. Despite the unpopularity of Gordon Brown and a deep recession The Torys failed to win in 2010. This might be because it has alienated the whole of Scotland, most of Wales and many industrial cities that used to regularly return Tory MPs in their more affluent areas. (E.g Birmingham Edgbaston, Old Trafford Manchester etc),whilst they were in power with their deeply divisive policies in the 80s.
It will take just. a 2.9 % swing from Conservative to Labour for Labour to take the vital Worcester seat as well as sweeping away this corrupt Worcester local admistration. Don't give in to apathy and hit the Conservatives where it hurts, and vote against them in May 2015. If the Tories can't hold on to this seat next year they have no hopes of forming the next government.
I've said this before in previous comments, but the biggest prize for the Conservatives of course, is winning the next general election with an overall majority. Despite the unpopularity of Gordon Brown and a deep recession The Torys failed to win in 2010. This might be because it has alienated the whole of Scotland, most of Wales and many industrial cities that used to regularly return Tory MPs in their more affluent areas. (E.g Birmingham Edgbaston, Old Trafford Manchester etc),whilst they were in power with their deeply divisive policies in the 80s. It will take just. a 2.9 % swing from Conservative to Labour for Labour to take the vital Worcester seat as well as sweeping away this corrupt Worcester local admistration. Don't give in to apathy and hit the Conservatives where it hurts, and vote against them in May 2015. If the Tories can't hold on to this seat next year they have no hopes of forming the next government. jammer1010
  • Score: 6

7:01am Thu 19 Jun 14

Keith B says...

And we could see the Conservatives winning the popular vote and we end up with a Labour Government that will totally wreck the nation for generations to come - and that with less than 25% of the nation voting for it - maybe even less than 20% if we include abstentions. Because of a corrupt, self serving voting system and corrupted constituency boundaries that the Liberals prevented correcting, we may even find UKIP get more votes than Labour in England and get 2-5 seats and yet Labour will form a Government. THAT is just plain wrong.

God help us, but our only hope is that the Liberals (as Clegg now calls them - he seems to have dropped the Social Democrats off the edge) still win 25 seats and hold the balance of power and keep the nutters at bay.
Or maybe the Unionists of Northern Ireland or Sinn Féin will help form the next Coalition. That will be fun, won't it!!!!

But can we really trust the Balls family, Mr & Mrs Harperson, The Milliband family, the Eagle sisters, the Mahmood family, the Vaz family, the Benn dynasty, the Straw Dynasty - even Ewan Blair's is getting a look in - as the same Labour families that destroyed the nations finances and took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan, are given yet another go in the toy cupboard.

The leaderless Tory's are no better. No wonder the disillusioned are voting UKIP - but it's frightening what we might end up with. I think I'll vote for Angela Merkel .... who said coming second in a war is losing!
And we could see the Conservatives winning the popular vote and we end up with a Labour Government that will totally wreck the nation for generations to come - and that with less than 25% of the nation voting for it - maybe even less than 20% if we include abstentions. Because of a corrupt, self serving voting system and corrupted constituency boundaries that the Liberals prevented correcting, we may even find UKIP get more votes than Labour in England and get 2-5 seats and yet Labour will form a Government. THAT is just plain wrong. God help us, but our only hope is that the Liberals (as Clegg now calls them - he seems to have dropped the Social Democrats off the edge) still win 25 seats and hold the balance of power and keep the nutters at bay. Or maybe the Unionists of Northern Ireland or Sinn Féin will help form the next Coalition. That will be fun, won't it!!!! But can we really trust the Balls family, Mr & Mrs Harperson, The Milliband family, the Eagle sisters, the Mahmood family, the Vaz family, the Benn dynasty, the Straw Dynasty - even Ewan Blair's is getting a look in - as the same Labour families that destroyed the nations finances and took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan, are given yet another go in the toy cupboard. The leaderless Tory's are no better. No wonder the disillusioned are voting UKIP - but it's frightening what we might end up with. I think I'll vote for Angela Merkel .... who said coming second in a war is losing! Keith B
  • Score: -1

7:01am Thu 19 Jun 14

Keith B says...

.................. or maybe we should just make Amos PM.
.................. or maybe we should just make Amos PM. Keith B
  • Score: -2

9:41am Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

Keith B wrote:
.................. or maybe we should just make Amos PM.
With his background it would be another coalition that couldn't make its mind up on whether to adopt Conservative or Labour policies. Still, if he gets a nice house, the trappings of the state that he so despises and plenty of holidays I'm sure he'd be up for it!
[quote][p][bold]Keith B[/bold] wrote: .................. or maybe we should just make Amos PM.[/p][/quote]With his background it would be another coalition that couldn't make its mind up on whether to adopt Conservative or Labour policies. Still, if he gets a nice house, the trappings of the state that he so despises and plenty of holidays I'm sure he'd be up for it! 3thinker
  • Score: 2

10:09am Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again? 3thinker
  • Score: 8

10:51am Thu 19 Jun 14

liketoknow says...

3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor!
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor! liketoknow
  • Score: 5

10:51am Thu 19 Jun 14

liketoknow says...

3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor!
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor! liketoknow
  • Score: 2

10:58am Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

liketoknow wrote:
3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor!
Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF.
[quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor![/p][/quote]Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF. 3thinker
  • Score: 5

10:58am Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

liketoknow wrote:
3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor!
Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF.
[quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor![/p][/quote]Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF. 3thinker
  • Score: 2

10:58am Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

liketoknow wrote:
3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor!
Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF.
[quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]maybe he's signed up to 'Rent-a Mayor![/p][/quote]Perhaps he misunderstood what the good burghers of Worcester meant when they signed a petition asking him to BOGOF. 3thinker
  • Score: 0

11:34am Thu 19 Jun 14

jammer1010 says...

Keith B wrote:
And we could see the Conservatives winning the popular vote and we end up with a Labour Government that will totally wreck the nation for generations to come - and that with less than 25% of the nation voting for it - maybe even less than 20% if we include abstentions. Because of a corrupt, self serving voting system and corrupted constituency boundaries that the Liberals prevented correcting, we may even find UKIP get more votes than Labour in England and get 2-5 seats and yet Labour will form a Government. THAT is just plain wrong.

God help us, but our only hope is that the Liberals (as Clegg now calls them - he seems to have dropped the Social Democrats off the edge) still win 25 seats and hold the balance of power and keep the nutters at bay.
Or maybe the Unionists of Northern Ireland or Sinn Féin will help form the next Coalition. That will be fun, won't it!!!!

But can we really trust the Balls family, Mr & Mrs Harperson, The Milliband family, the Eagle sisters, the Mahmood family, the Vaz family, the Benn dynasty, the Straw Dynasty - even Ewan Blair's is getting a look in - as the same Labour families that destroyed the nations finances and took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan, are given yet another go in the toy cupboard.

The leaderless Tory's are no better. No wonder the disillusioned are voting UKIP - but it's frightening what we might end up with. I think I'll vote for Angela Merkel .... who said coming second in a war is losing!
well ironically, the Tories had the chance to vote for a fairer electoral system, but denied it themselves in the recent AV referendum. The reason the electoral system its slightly biased towards Labour is that the Tories pile up massive majorities in their safe Southern England seats, however, people have long memories in Scotland, Wales and the industrial cities of the horrors and deeply divisive policies inflicted on them in the 80s and 90s. Even, mega posh areas of Manchester and Sheffield don't return Tory MPs anymore. If you think it is plain wrong for a Labour Government to be elected with 25% of the vote. Feel sorry for the Scots who have to endure a Tory government with about 5 or 6% of the vote, returning not a single Conservative MP. Sinn Feinn never attend the house of common as they won't swear aliegence to The Queen so it's strange you'd think they'd have a say on who forms the next government!
[quote][p][bold]Keith B[/bold] wrote: And we could see the Conservatives winning the popular vote and we end up with a Labour Government that will totally wreck the nation for generations to come - and that with less than 25% of the nation voting for it - maybe even less than 20% if we include abstentions. Because of a corrupt, self serving voting system and corrupted constituency boundaries that the Liberals prevented correcting, we may even find UKIP get more votes than Labour in England and get 2-5 seats and yet Labour will form a Government. THAT is just plain wrong. God help us, but our only hope is that the Liberals (as Clegg now calls them - he seems to have dropped the Social Democrats off the edge) still win 25 seats and hold the balance of power and keep the nutters at bay. Or maybe the Unionists of Northern Ireland or Sinn Féin will help form the next Coalition. That will be fun, won't it!!!! But can we really trust the Balls family, Mr & Mrs Harperson, The Milliband family, the Eagle sisters, the Mahmood family, the Vaz family, the Benn dynasty, the Straw Dynasty - even Ewan Blair's is getting a look in - as the same Labour families that destroyed the nations finances and took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan, are given yet another go in the toy cupboard. The leaderless Tory's are no better. No wonder the disillusioned are voting UKIP - but it's frightening what we might end up with. I think I'll vote for Angela Merkel .... who said coming second in a war is losing![/p][/quote]well ironically, the Tories had the chance to vote for a fairer electoral system, but denied it themselves in the recent AV referendum. The reason the electoral system its slightly biased towards Labour is that the Tories pile up massive majorities in their safe Southern England seats, however, people have long memories in Scotland, Wales and the industrial cities of the horrors and deeply divisive policies inflicted on them in the 80s and 90s. Even, mega posh areas of Manchester and Sheffield don't return Tory MPs anymore. If you think it is plain wrong for a Labour Government to be elected with 25% of the vote. Feel sorry for the Scots who have to endure a Tory government with about 5 or 6% of the vote, returning not a single Conservative MP. Sinn Feinn never attend the house of common as they won't swear aliegence to The Queen so it's strange you'd think they'd have a say on who forms the next government! jammer1010
  • Score: 6

11:45am Thu 19 Jun 14

Tony Pingree says...

3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
Perhaps typing in a few words is a bit much for him if he's lying on a warm sandy beach somewhere.
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]Perhaps typing in a few words is a bit much for him if he's lying on a warm sandy beach somewhere. Tony Pingree
  • Score: 3

2:36pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Ted Elgar says...

I really hope, wherever he is, that he is able to keep up with the comments in your Worcester News and that he understands the people of Worcester haven't forgotten how awful he is.
I really hope, wherever he is, that he is able to keep up with the comments in your Worcester News and that he understands the people of Worcester haven't forgotten how awful he is. Ted Elgar
  • Score: 6

2:38pm Thu 19 Jun 14

3thinker says...

3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
Whoops. Spoke to soon. He's just 'blogged'.

He's just found out that as Mayor he can form an army. I assume that's not a veiled threat to fend off those who think he should do the decent thing and resign!
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]Whoops. Spoke to soon. He's just 'blogged'. He's just found out that as Mayor he can form an army. I assume that's not a veiled threat to fend off those who think he should do the decent thing and resign! 3thinker
  • Score: 6

8:23am Fri 20 Jun 14

Keith B says...

Thanks for the lesson Jammer. I was taking the p..... a bit ... but Sinn Feinn actually do take part in the government of the UK in Northern Ireland so it's not beyond their ability to hold the balance of power and take a role. And there is a real prospect of Unionists holding the balance and that could set the cat amongst the pigeons again.
Thanks for the lesson Jammer. I was taking the p..... a bit ... but Sinn Feinn actually do take part in the government of the UK in Northern Ireland so it's not beyond their ability to hold the balance of power and take a role. And there is a real prospect of Unionists holding the balance and that could set the cat amongst the pigeons again. Keith B
  • Score: 2

5:23pm Fri 20 Jun 14

jammer1010 says...

Keith B wrote:
Thanks for the lesson Jammer. I was taking the p..... a bit ... but Sinn Feinn actually do take part in the government of the UK in Northern Ireland so it's not beyond their ability to hold the balance of power and take a role. And there is a real prospect of Unionists holding the balance and that could set the cat amongst the pigeons again.
Sinn Fein do take part in the Northern Ireland assembly, but its a seperate entity to the House of commons. Jerry Adams can' t form a government with either the Tories or Labour, and I'm not sure either would want to as it would spell electoral suicide, because they will not swear allegience to the monarch. The Unionists can provide talks though, and they would certainly support The Tories, not many people know they helped John Major to stay in power when he lost his overall majority in the early 90s from by-election defeats. Labour would more likely form coalitions with SDLP, Greens, SNP, and Plaid Cyru if it was the largest party in a hung parliament. These parties can actually vote in the house of commons unlike Sinn Feinn. Hope you enjoyed the politics lesson Keith B ;O)
[quote][p][bold]Keith B[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the lesson Jammer. I was taking the p..... a bit ... but Sinn Feinn actually do take part in the government of the UK in Northern Ireland so it's not beyond their ability to hold the balance of power and take a role. And there is a real prospect of Unionists holding the balance and that could set the cat amongst the pigeons again.[/p][/quote]Sinn Fein do take part in the Northern Ireland assembly, but its a seperate entity to the House of commons. Jerry Adams can' t form a government with either the Tories or Labour, and I'm not sure either would want to as it would spell electoral suicide, because they will not swear allegience to the monarch. The Unionists can provide talks though, and they would certainly support The Tories, not many people know they helped John Major to stay in power when he lost his overall majority in the early 90s from by-election defeats. Labour would more likely form coalitions with SDLP, Greens, SNP, and Plaid Cyru if it was the largest party in a hung parliament. These parties can actually vote in the house of commons unlike Sinn Feinn. Hope you enjoyed the politics lesson Keith B ;O) jammer1010
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Tony Pingree says...

3thinker wrote:
3thinker wrote:
Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary.

Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?
Whoops. Spoke to soon. He's just 'blogged'.

He's just found out that as Mayor he can form an army. I assume that's not a veiled threat to fend off those who think he should do the decent thing and resign!
Has anybody mailed Mayor Amos yet?

It says you can on his blog.

I thought about it but didn't fancy being conscripted.
[quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]3thinker[/bold] wrote: Nothing on the Mayor's Blog since 5th June. No appointments showing in his diary. Has he resigned? Is he keeping a very low profile? Or has he buggered off on holiday again?[/p][/quote]Whoops. Spoke to soon. He's just 'blogged'. He's just found out that as Mayor he can form an army. I assume that's not a veiled threat to fend off those who think he should do the decent thing and resign![/p][/quote]Has anybody mailed Mayor Amos yet? It says you can on his blog. I thought about it but didn't fancy being conscripted. Tony Pingree
  • Score: 2

10:53pm Fri 20 Jun 14

DeBrian Thronker says...

"Former Chain Holder" - Sorry, but why is someone who used to hold chains - I can only assume he was a dock worker or a prison guard - qualified to talk about Mayorial matters that are clearly well above his station?
"Former Chain Holder" - Sorry, but why is someone who used to hold chains - I can only assume he was a dock worker or a prison guard - qualified to talk about Mayorial matters that are clearly well above his station? DeBrian Thronker
  • Score: 1

8:02am Sat 21 Jun 14

Keith B says...

The male dock worker / prison guard you refer to is a rather sophisticated, dainty lady who has represented her community for many many years. I think she has every right and every qualification to make her opinion public.
The male dock worker / prison guard you refer to is a rather sophisticated, dainty lady who has represented her community for many many years. I think she has every right and every qualification to make her opinion public. Keith B
  • Score: 5

10:09am Sat 21 Jun 14

green49 says...

Whats gone on is a disgrace and an insult to the people of Worcester and Amos is just putting up two fingers to us all who pay council tax etc, dont forget the usual suspects behind all this too.
Whats gone on is a disgrace and an insult to the people of Worcester and Amos is just putting up two fingers to us all who pay council tax etc, dont forget the usual suspects behind all this too. green49
  • Score: 7

8:50pm Tue 24 Jun 14

Butterfly dreamer says...

He is booking another holiday soon. He is not doing his duty for the position he so desparetly wanted. Most of appointments are being done by the deputy Roger Knight. He just wants the title! !!!
He is booking another holiday soon. He is not doing his duty for the position he so desparetly wanted. Most of appointments are being done by the deputy Roger Knight. He just wants the title! !!! Butterfly dreamer
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree