Driver posing as policeman lured girl aged four at Westlands, Droitwich

Worcester News: Mother Kelly Quill with her daughter Charlie Mother Kelly Quill with her daughter Charlie

A MOTHER has spoken of how her four-year-old daughter and her friend escaped a man posing as a police officer who told them they should get in his car.

Four-year-old Charlie Quill and her friend, three-year-old Peggy-Mae Bailey, were playing outside near their homes in Westlands, Droitwich, when they were approached by two men and a woman on Wednesday (July 9).

Emma Bailey had been watching the children who were playing on a green next to the front of their Meadow Walk home, but had gone back inside for a moment.

Charlie’s mum, Kelly Quill, was also in her home just two doors down when her daughter came running in.

She said: “She came in and said a car pulled up really fast and a man got out saying he was a police man and that it was okay to get in the car and grabbed her arm and pulled her.

“She got away and when she came running in and said a man had tried to grab her, we said ‘are you telling the truth?’ and she said ‘smell my arm, you can still smell the man’.”

She described the car as being blue and green with red wheel arches on the front, although there was some confusion over the colours because of her age, and said there was a man driving, a boy in the front and a lady in the back of it.

Peggy-Mae also told the same version of events to her mum and both said the man who got out of the car had brown hair and the woman had blonde hair, although again, due to their age, they were unsure of the age of the people involved.

The parents called the police and officers attended the scene.

A spokesman for West Mercia Police confirmed that they were aware of the incident and that there was cause for concern.

But since getting away from the man, Charlie has been having nightmares and has had to sleep in her parents’ bed, her mum said.

Ms Quinn said: “Last night she wet the bed three times and was having nightmares. The only time she went to sleep was when I put her in our bed.

“Luckily Charlie knows all about stranger danger and went someone walks past the from garden and her younger sister says ‘hello’ she tells her not to talk to people she doesn’t know.

“But this time he said he was a policeman and she paused and thought about it before running off.”

The children are banned from playing at the front of the houses, which lie down a quiet walkway, and are only allowed in the back garden.

Ms Bailey said: “It’s a shame because this was the only place they could go to with their friends and still be close where we could see them and now that’s ruined.

“I have brought my kids up to know about stranger danger.

“I have always told them that if you can’t run away, you scream.”

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact police on 101.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:20pm Fri 11 Jul 14

zrxstreetfighter says...

I would be asking the parents why a 4yr old girl was out in the street at that time of night obviously not close to her parents or the car wouldn't have stopped
I would be asking the parents why a 4yr old girl was out in the street at that time of night obviously not close to her parents or the car wouldn't have stopped zrxstreetfighter
  • Score: 87

10:04pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Give Up! says...

Find the true story and cut the sensationalism that worries the public...... You're not the Daily Mail.....
Find the true story and cut the sensationalism that worries the public...... You're not the Daily Mail..... Give Up!
  • Score: 41

12:27am Sat 12 Jul 14

shameful says...

Its the bloody parents fault for not keeping a closer eye on her/him.
Its the bloody parents fault for not keeping a closer eye on her/him. shameful
  • Score: 32

12:42am Sat 12 Jul 14

TomQuill says...

to mr "streetfighter". 1st of all my daughter wasnt out at 8pm onwards. when the dirty paedos tryed 2 get her it was abt 6pm.
Secondly, she didnt say what had happened as she wasnd supposed to be outside our neighbours house where it happened.
My daughter was scared about getting into trouble for being where she shouldnt have been & didnt know if she would get told off for not listenin to (so called) policemen.
she told my wife later on while they were getting her settled for bed which is when the police were called.
Now if perverts trying to snatch children makes you think its the parents fault straight away then i hope you dont have children or if you do, that you never have to go through what my daughter (who cant sleep now), wife & I are dealing with.
I dont know whats wrong with some people. the first thing that we did was ring the police when we knew what had happened, then i posted an alert to all my social media friends so they knew what sort of people are in the local area.
So streetfighter, you and your muggy name can jog on. when your perfect & your sh*t dont stink you can give your opinion. when you dont know the facts & and try to put down people who have gone through somthing scares the Sh*t out of any parent you make yourself look like a prat, simple as.
to mr "streetfighter". 1st of all my daughter wasnt out at 8pm onwards. when the dirty paedos tryed 2 get her it was abt 6pm. Secondly, she didnt say what had happened as she wasnd supposed to be outside our neighbours house where it happened. My daughter was scared about getting into trouble for being where she shouldnt have been & didnt know if she would get told off for not listenin to (so called) policemen. she told my wife later on while they were getting her settled for bed which is when the police were called. Now if perverts trying to snatch children makes you think its the parents fault straight away then i hope you dont have children or if you do, that you never have to go through what my daughter (who cant sleep now), wife & I are dealing with. I dont know whats wrong with some people. the first thing that we did was ring the police when we knew what had happened, then i posted an alert to all my social media friends so they knew what sort of people are in the local area. So streetfighter, you and your muggy name can jog on. when your perfect & your sh*t dont stink you can give your opinion. when you dont know the facts & and try to put down people who have gone through somthing scares the Sh*t out of any parent you make yourself look like a prat, simple as. TomQuill
  • Score: -40

3:58am Sat 12 Jul 14

wutown says...

As harsh as it may sound TomQuill, you say she wasn't supposed to be outside but where were you/your wife to make sure she didn't go outside? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure children that age require pretty much constant supervision.
As harsh as it may sound TomQuill, you say she wasn't supposed to be outside but where were you/your wife to make sure she didn't go outside? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure children that age require pretty much constant supervision. wutown
  • Score: 93

7:38am Sat 12 Jul 14

shameful says...

A child that age should be kept an eye on 24/7, as they could wonder off,and this is a prime example.Luckily the little girl was ok this time,may not be so lucky next.Adults have a parental right to safeguard their children,lets hope they have learnt a valueble lesson.
A child that age should be kept an eye on 24/7, as they could wonder off,and this is a prime example.Luckily the little girl was ok this time,may not be so lucky next.Adults have a parental right to safeguard their children,lets hope they have learnt a valueble lesson. shameful
  • Score: 52

9:53am Sat 12 Jul 14

mrslish says...

If this child was in the street on her own, and from the information we have, with no adult witnesses, and she told her parents two hours later, how do we know that these 'peados' we're not simply adults who saw a small vulnerable child out on their own, and thinking she was lost as her parents were nowhere to be seen, simply saying we will take you to a policeman, rather than we are policemen? She was at risk from many things being 'where she shouldn't have been' I'm afraid as parents you need to take responsibility for the fact she was out on the street on her own. That is the true 'end of'. And yes, I do have children. And yes, they are my responsibility AT ALL TIMES.
If this child was in the street on her own, and from the information we have, with no adult witnesses, and she told her parents two hours later, how do we know that these 'peados' we're not simply adults who saw a small vulnerable child out on their own, and thinking she was lost as her parents were nowhere to be seen, simply saying we will take you to a policeman, rather than we are policemen? She was at risk from many things being 'where she shouldn't have been' I'm afraid as parents you need to take responsibility for the fact she was out on the street on her own. That is the true 'end of'. And yes, I do have children. And yes, they are my responsibility AT ALL TIMES. mrslish
  • Score: 63

10:27am Sat 12 Jul 14

pinkfluff says...

Shocking that a four year old was out alone with no appropriate adult supervision. That should NOT happen ever.
Shocking that a four year old was out alone with no appropriate adult supervision. That should NOT happen ever. pinkfluff
  • Score: 46

11:33am Sat 12 Jul 14

karen mulhearn says...

Could be resolved by the 3 people coming forward and stating their view. Perhaps they did stop out of concern and had no ill intention.
Could be resolved by the 3 people coming forward and stating their view. Perhaps they did stop out of concern and had no ill intention. karen mulhearn
  • Score: 30

11:35am Sat 12 Jul 14

blueyez says...

If you know the area where you live is a bit rough or your child is of that age or you actually listen to the news considering that there are people out there that take kids. she should be watched at all times. It would of been your fault if your child got taken
If you know the area where you live is a bit rough or your child is of that age or you actually listen to the news considering that there are people out there that take kids. she should be watched at all times. It would of been your fault if your child got taken blueyez
  • Score: 24

12:33pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Jabbadad says...

i hope that the parents of this small child will be able to comfort this child's traumas. And to say that kids in rougher neighbourhoods are more likely to get snatched is a load of rubbish, since kids from shopping centres (Jamie Bulger) parks, in fact anywhere are vulnerable, and need the protection of we adults. And remember the days when we could trust someone who said they were a Policeman, since they were in uniform and lot's of them out on the streets. Remember also the days when perverts were aware that if they got caught by the neighbours they were for it, particularly from the mothers. Now the offenders get more protection than the victims, with an army of do-gooders ready to treat them with more respect than they gave the victims.
Good days now, or perhaps sad times, when we were kids our families did not have Tellevisons, or electronic games etc, nor refrigerators, or even sliced bread, but we were able to play outside, even to go on our own to the nearby park, or into the closeby fields, sometimes for hours at a time, only coming home for feeding or a drink.
So sadly no matter where you live you have to make sure that your kids are in a very secure garden if you have one, or with a responsible adult when outside. No Ifs no Buts.
I wish that little girl well and a safe childhood.
i hope that the parents of this small child will be able to comfort this child's traumas. And to say that kids in rougher neighbourhoods are more likely to get snatched is a load of rubbish, since kids from shopping centres (Jamie Bulger) parks, in fact anywhere are vulnerable, and need the protection of we adults. And remember the days when we could trust someone who said they were a Policeman, since they were in uniform and lot's of them out on the streets. Remember also the days when perverts were aware that if they got caught by the neighbours they were for it, particularly from the mothers. Now the offenders get more protection than the victims, with an army of do-gooders ready to treat them with more respect than they gave the victims. Good days now, or perhaps sad times, when we were kids our families did not have Tellevisons, or electronic games etc, nor refrigerators, or even sliced bread, but we were able to play outside, even to go on our own to the nearby park, or into the closeby fields, sometimes for hours at a time, only coming home for feeding or a drink. So sadly no matter where you live you have to make sure that your kids are in a very secure garden if you have one, or with a responsible adult when outside. No Ifs no Buts. I wish that little girl well and a safe childhood. Jabbadad
  • Score: 3

4:04pm Sat 12 Jul 14

spider666 says...

TomQuill wrote:
to mr "streetfighter"
. 1st of all my daughter wasnt out at 8pm onwards. when the dirty paedos tryed 2 get her it was abt 6pm.
Secondly, she didnt say what had happened as she wasnd supposed to be outside our neighbours house where it happened.
My daughter was scared about getting into trouble for being where she shouldnt have been & didnt know if she would get told off for not listenin to (so called) policemen.
she told my wife later on while they were getting her settled for bed which is when the police were called.
Now if perverts trying to snatch children makes you think its the parents fault straight away then i hope you dont have children or if you do, that you never have to go through what my daughter (who cant sleep now), wife & I are dealing with.
I dont know whats wrong with some people. the first thing that we did was ring the police when we knew what had happened, then i posted an alert to all my social media friends so they knew what sort of people are in the local area.
So streetfighter, you and your muggy name can jog on. when your perfect & your sh*t dont stink you can give your opinion. when you dont know the facts & and try to put down people who have gone through somthing scares the Sh*t out of any parent you make yourself look like a prat, simple as.
Tom ---if it helps I've just been told that someone saw the car speeding away over the island by the train station,heading from the B/legion towards the direction of the middle school
[quote][p][bold]TomQuill[/bold] wrote: to mr "streetfighter" . 1st of all my daughter wasnt out at 8pm onwards. when the dirty paedos tryed 2 get her it was abt 6pm. Secondly, she didnt say what had happened as she wasnd supposed to be outside our neighbours house where it happened. My daughter was scared about getting into trouble for being where she shouldnt have been & didnt know if she would get told off for not listenin to (so called) policemen. she told my wife later on while they were getting her settled for bed which is when the police were called. Now if perverts trying to snatch children makes you think its the parents fault straight away then i hope you dont have children or if you do, that you never have to go through what my daughter (who cant sleep now), wife & I are dealing with. I dont know whats wrong with some people. the first thing that we did was ring the police when we knew what had happened, then i posted an alert to all my social media friends so they knew what sort of people are in the local area. So streetfighter, you and your muggy name can jog on. when your perfect & your sh*t dont stink you can give your opinion. when you dont know the facts & and try to put down people who have gone through somthing scares the Sh*t out of any parent you make yourself look like a prat, simple as.[/p][/quote]Tom ---if it helps I've just been told that someone saw the car speeding away over the island by the train station,heading from the B/legion towards the direction of the middle school spider666
  • Score: -16

4:14pm Sat 12 Jul 14

local tom says...

I don't know what type of area the little girl lived, it may well have been a council estate or private estate however there is no need to slag the parents off even if they were in the wrong. i am sure they have learnt their lesson. I don't think the comments are to do with the incident more like the class of the victim. And talking about responsibility for our children what happened to Kate & Jerry McCann after their daughter was snatched from their hotel room while they were socializing with friends? - Nothing that's what despite leaving their children alone in a unlocked hotel room. And why were they not made accountable for their actions? well because they were respectable pillars of the community, doctors, with money-higher than the average working class that's why. No doubt if they would have been lower class from a council estate they would have faced a stringent police investigation in the UK and been charged with child neglect on arrival back in the UK.

As a parent my thoughts are with this little girl and her family and i wish them well.
I don't know what type of area the little girl lived, it may well have been a council estate or private estate however there is no need to slag the parents off even if they were in the wrong. i am sure they have learnt their lesson. I don't think the comments are to do with the incident more like the class of the victim. And talking about responsibility for our children what happened to Kate & Jerry McCann after their daughter was snatched from their hotel room while they were socializing with friends? - Nothing that's what despite leaving their children alone in a unlocked hotel room. And why were they not made accountable for their actions? well because they were respectable pillars of the community, doctors, with money-higher than the average working class that's why. No doubt if they would have been lower class from a council estate they would have faced a stringent police investigation in the UK and been charged with child neglect on arrival back in the UK. As a parent my thoughts are with this little girl and her family and i wish them well. local tom
  • Score: 4

4:37pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Gallii says...

Why on earth is a 4 year old out alone at any time where where the parents why were they not watching there child! People make it so easy for this to happen! If you have kids watch them it as simple as that.
Why on earth is a 4 year old out alone at any time where where the parents why were they not watching there child! People make it so easy for this to happen! If you have kids watch them it as simple as that. Gallii
  • Score: 26

6:24pm Sat 12 Jul 14

_stu_ says...

I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.
I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this. _stu_
  • Score: -8

7:44pm Sat 12 Jul 14

blueyez says...

if parents choose to let their kids to the park on their own, play outside on their own etc without watching them and they get taken its the parents fault aswell as the people that take the kids
if parents choose to let their kids to the park on their own, play outside on their own etc without watching them and they get taken its the parents fault aswell as the people that take the kids blueyez
  • Score: 7

9:06pm Sat 12 Jul 14

pinkfluff says...

_stu_ wrote:
I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.
When people choose to have children they should also choose the responsibility that comes with being a parent.

Parents should learn from their mistakes, suck it up and move on.

Fortunately no harm came to the children and all will know better in future. It's not always about blame.
[quote][p][bold]_stu_[/bold] wrote: I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.[/p][/quote]When people choose to have children they should also choose the responsibility that comes with being a parent. Parents should learn from their mistakes, suck it up and move on. Fortunately no harm came to the children and all will know better in future. It's not always about blame. pinkfluff
  • Score: 11

12:20am Sun 13 Jul 14

broken6 says...

_stu_ wrote:
I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.
Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations

I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be.

If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem!

There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant.
[quote][p][bold]_stu_[/bold] wrote: I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.[/p][/quote]Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be. If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem! There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant. broken6
  • Score: 17

8:31pm Sun 13 Jul 14

DarrenM says...

Presumably they worked out they weren't police officers pretty quickly as Worst Farcia only police Warwickshire now.
Presumably they worked out they weren't police officers pretty quickly as Worst Farcia only police Warwickshire now. DarrenM
  • Score: -5

9:56pm Sun 13 Jul 14

purplestrawb says...

Tom, I would like to congratulate you and your wife on doing a fine job making sure your daughter is aware of the dangers of playing outside and knowing what to do in this situation. Some 4 year olds would have gone off with the stranger but your daughter was obviously sensible enough to come straight home.
Tom, I would like to congratulate you and your wife on doing a fine job making sure your daughter is aware of the dangers of playing outside and knowing what to do in this situation. Some 4 year olds would have gone off with the stranger but your daughter was obviously sensible enough to come straight home. purplestrawb
  • Score: 3

8:35am Mon 14 Jul 14

Ted Elgar says...

I think the people queuing up on here to give the parents a kicking should be ashamed of themselves.
The basis of your arguments seems to be that all children should have non-stop supervision at all times and parents should not expect that their child should be safe outside their own house which is patently a load of crap.
Most of the outrage seems to be directed at the family because they are from Westlands in Droitwich, which while not the best postcode in sunny Droitwich isn't exactly Moss Side; it is snobbery of the worst sort.
Although this incident could have been some kind of misunderstanding, the fact that the Police are suggesting "cause for concern" suggests to me that people aught to be looking out for one another, looking out for one another's kids as they play outside during summer, not being inward-looking, selfish and judgemental.
I think the people queuing up on here to give the parents a kicking should be ashamed of themselves. The basis of your arguments seems to be that all children should have non-stop supervision at all times and parents should not expect that their child should be safe outside their own house which is patently a load of crap. Most of the outrage seems to be directed at the family because they are from Westlands in Droitwich, which while not the best postcode in sunny Droitwich isn't exactly Moss Side; it is snobbery of the worst sort. Although this incident could have been some kind of misunderstanding, the fact that the Police are suggesting "cause for concern" suggests to me that people aught to be looking out for one another, looking out for one another's kids as they play outside during summer, not being inward-looking, selfish and judgemental. Ted Elgar
  • Score: 2

10:58am Mon 14 Jul 14

iamthebinman says...

Two important things, firstly this young girl is at home and well. The second is that the parents have told their story so that others can be a little more alert and careful with their children. Even though they new there would be the typical idiots who don't know the full story passing judgement, they still did the right thing. As a father of two young girls I thank you Tom.
Two important things, firstly this young girl is at home and well. The second is that the parents have told their story so that others can be a little more alert and careful with their children. Even though they new there would be the typical idiots who don't know the full story passing judgement, they still did the right thing. As a father of two young girls I thank you Tom. iamthebinman
  • Score: 2

1:30am Tue 15 Jul 14

nicki1967 says...

Ted Elgar wrote:
I think the people queuing up on here to give the parents a kicking should be ashamed of themselves.
The basis of your arguments seems to be that all children should have non-stop supervision at all times and parents should not expect that their child should be safe outside their own house which is patently a load of crap.
Most of the outrage seems to be directed at the family because they are from Westlands in Droitwich, which while not the best postcode in sunny Droitwich isn't exactly Moss Side; it is snobbery of the worst sort.
Although this incident could have been some kind of misunderstanding, the fact that the Police are suggesting "cause for concern" suggests to me that people aught to be looking out for one another, looking out for one another's kids as they play outside during summer, not being inward-looking, selfish and judgemental.
You are mistaken. What people are saying is that there is no way a 4 year old and a 3 year old should be left unsupervised, especially outside. At the end of the day, It doesn't matter where the children live. The parents need to take the majority of the responsibility.
[quote][p][bold]Ted Elgar[/bold] wrote: I think the people queuing up on here to give the parents a kicking should be ashamed of themselves. The basis of your arguments seems to be that all children should have non-stop supervision at all times and parents should not expect that their child should be safe outside their own house which is patently a load of crap. Most of the outrage seems to be directed at the family because they are from Westlands in Droitwich, which while not the best postcode in sunny Droitwich isn't exactly Moss Side; it is snobbery of the worst sort. Although this incident could have been some kind of misunderstanding, the fact that the Police are suggesting "cause for concern" suggests to me that people aught to be looking out for one another, looking out for one another's kids as they play outside during summer, not being inward-looking, selfish and judgemental.[/p][/quote]You are mistaken. What people are saying is that there is no way a 4 year old and a 3 year old should be left unsupervised, especially outside. At the end of the day, It doesn't matter where the children live. The parents need to take the majority of the responsibility. nicki1967
  • Score: 7

8:10am Tue 15 Jul 14

DanMacc says...

Excuse me Gema Bate, why no mention in the headline of the woman who was also in the car?? Not sensationalist enough???
Excuse me Gema Bate, why no mention in the headline of the woman who was also in the car?? Not sensationalist enough??? DanMacc
  • Score: 3

8:54am Tue 15 Jul 14

_stu_ says...

broken6 wrote:
_stu_ wrote:
I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.
Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations

I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be.

If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem!

There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant.
I can assure you, as a parent myself, I am NOT part of the problem, but the fact that, despite pinkfluff saying it's not about blame, ALL of the upvoted comments here blame the parents.

And if you are happy living in a world where kids cannot play outdoors for fear of strangers, then YOU are the problem.
[quote][p][bold]broken6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]_stu_[/bold] wrote: I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.[/p][/quote]Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be. If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem! There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant.[/p][/quote]I can assure you, as a parent myself, I am NOT part of the problem, but the fact that, despite pinkfluff saying it's not about blame, ALL of the upvoted comments here blame the parents. And if you are happy living in a world where kids cannot play outdoors for fear of strangers, then YOU are the problem. _stu_
  • Score: -9

6:56pm Tue 15 Jul 14

pinkfluff says...

_stu_ wrote:
broken6 wrote:
_stu_ wrote:
I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.
Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations

I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be.

If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem!

There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant.
I can assure you, as a parent myself, I am NOT part of the problem, but the fact that, despite pinkfluff saying it's not about blame, ALL of the upvoted comments here blame the parents.

And if you are happy living in a world where kids cannot play outdoors for fear of strangers, then YOU are the problem.
Unfortunately there will always be a criminal element in society and that's why we all need to be careful.

All parents have made mistakes raising children at some point. Mistakes and errors in judgement in life are unavoidable. The best we can do is learn from those mistakes is correct our behaviour and warn others.

Take no notice of the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" it's a poor system and not accurate.
[quote][p][bold]_stu_[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]broken6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]_stu_[/bold] wrote: I can't believe how many people are blaming the parents - perhaps their sympathies lie with the child snatchers? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Where I live there are children playing in the street all day long, which is refreshing to see in this day and age. They are aged from 3 upwards, and all look out for each other. Kids should be able to play outside safely - it's not the parents fault if they can't, it's the fault of the sick and twisted people who attempt to do things such as this.[/p][/quote]Award for the most supid ignorant comment of the yaer ! Congratulations I'm sure everyone would agree that the sympathy lies with the child herself. I can't imagines how frightened she must be. If you truly believe that letting young kids out on their own, with no parental supervision whatsoever, is acceptable, then you are part of the problem! There is no excuse for what the sick, twisted pereverts that seem to crawl out of the woodwork now and then, but parents and guardians have the moral (and legal) responsibility to protect their kids from them. The very fact that this sort of headline is becoming more frequent, should warn parents to be extra vigilant.[/p][/quote]I can assure you, as a parent myself, I am NOT part of the problem, but the fact that, despite pinkfluff saying it's not about blame, ALL of the upvoted comments here blame the parents. And if you are happy living in a world where kids cannot play outdoors for fear of strangers, then YOU are the problem.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately there will always be a criminal element in society and that's why we all need to be careful. All parents have made mistakes raising children at some point. Mistakes and errors in judgement in life are unavoidable. The best we can do is learn from those mistakes is correct our behaviour and warn others. Take no notice of the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" it's a poor system and not accurate. pinkfluff
  • Score: -6

8:17pm Tue 15 Jul 14

broken6 says...

Let's face it. The BIG problem here, is that there are a tiny minority of people who prey on the defenceless. FACT!

It's NOT a secret and it's terrible world we live in, where are freedoms are limited. It shouldn't be like that. But it is.

This case proves that kids cannot be left alone in the street. Again, I say, this is a terrible loss of liberty for us law abiding citizens.

Therefore anyone who leaves their very young kids unsupervised in a potentially dangerous situation ( as this case has been proved!) will be judged negatively by a lot of people. I thank God that this case didn't become more serious as it quite easily could have.
Let's face it. The BIG problem here, is that there are a tiny minority of people who prey on the defenceless. FACT! It's NOT a secret and it's terrible world we live in, where are freedoms are limited. It shouldn't be like that. But it is. This case proves that kids cannot be left alone in the street. Again, I say, this is a terrible loss of liberty for us law abiding citizens. Therefore anyone who leaves their very young kids unsupervised in a potentially dangerous situation ( as this case has been proved!) will be judged negatively by a lot of people. I thank God that this case didn't become more serious as it quite easily could have. broken6
  • Score: 8

11:43am Wed 16 Jul 14

CJH says...

If they want to protect their daughters why have they chosen to have their pictures printed in the paper?
If they want to protect their daughters why have they chosen to have their pictures printed in the paper? CJH
  • Score: 10

4:15pm Wed 16 Jul 14

iamthebinman says...

mrslish wrote:
If this child was in the street on her own, and from the information we have, with no adult witnesses, and she told her parents two hours later, how do we know that these 'peados' we're not simply adults who saw a small vulnerable child out on their own, and thinking she was lost as her parents were nowhere to be seen, simply saying we will take you to a policeman, rather than we are policemen? She was at risk from many things being 'where she shouldn't have been' I'm afraid as parents you need to take responsibility for the fact she was out on the street on her own. That is the true 'end of'. And yes, I do have children. And yes, they are my responsibility AT ALL TIMES.
Funny you say that, I saw three under fives messing about on their own on the Bromwich Road yesterday morning with no sign of a parent. There is no way on earth I would stop to ask where their parents were. No chance.

Just for thinking of helping would have me lynched by this mob! Sad world we live in!
[quote][p][bold]mrslish[/bold] wrote: If this child was in the street on her own, and from the information we have, with no adult witnesses, and she told her parents two hours later, how do we know that these 'peados' we're not simply adults who saw a small vulnerable child out on their own, and thinking she was lost as her parents were nowhere to be seen, simply saying we will take you to a policeman, rather than we are policemen? She was at risk from many things being 'where she shouldn't have been' I'm afraid as parents you need to take responsibility for the fact she was out on the street on her own. That is the true 'end of'. And yes, I do have children. And yes, they are my responsibility AT ALL TIMES.[/p][/quote]Funny you say that, I saw three under fives messing about on their own on the Bromwich Road yesterday morning with no sign of a parent. There is no way on earth I would stop to ask where their parents were. No chance. Just for thinking of helping would have me lynched by this mob! Sad world we live in! iamthebinman
  • Score: 9

1:47pm Sun 20 Jul 14

ACBLive says...

Oh sorry everyone, I thought this was the forum page on the closure of St Mary's Independent school for girls. On which note I should point out that privately educated girls would never be allowed to play out on there own because they would be busy learning important life skills, like Self Reliance, respect and responsibility.
Oh sorry everyone, I thought this was the forum page on the closure of St Mary's Independent school for girls. On which note I should point out that privately educated girls would never be allowed to play out on there own because they would be busy learning important life skills, like Self Reliance, respect and responsibility. ACBLive
  • Score: -4
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree