Keep up the work on reducing flooding

Worcester's flooding last winter by Dave Grubb

Worcester's flooding last winter by Dave Grubb

First published in News Worcester News: Tom Edwards by , Political Reporter

LAST winter's flooding crisis in Worcestershire bought the whole county together - but more needs to be done to protect vulnerable homes.

That's the verdict from Worcester City Council, which has just published a report on how the recovery has gone five months on.

Back in February 108 homes and 55 businesses were flooded after water levels rose to their highest since 2007.

During the crisis, the main Worcester Bridge had to be closed and £640,000 of taxpayers' money went on a mammoth recovery operation.

The city council's scrutiny committee has met to discuss what lessons can be learned now several months have passed.

During the debate, it emerged that the city council has now handed over a total of £80,000 to Worcester traders in grants to help them fully recover from the lost business.

The role of social media like Twitter was also praised for helping people communicate far better than in 2007.

Councillor Joy Squires, Worcester's Labour parliamentary candidate, said: "For me, what I have really noticed since the floods is how very senior officers from a wide range of organisations have been communicating among themselves on Twitter to find out what's going on.

"That started when the floods came and it's carried on - another good example at how they are communicating better was the SOS Fest at Pitchcroft last week, which was phenomenally well attended."

During the debate she also said more focus needs to be on protecting areas like Diglis and the riverside.

"In Diglis the influx of sewage into properties was probably the most awful aspect of the flooding, I wonder what is being done to help there," she said. "We're always talking of the importance of the riverside, is more help needed to reduce flooding there?"

Councillor Lynn Denham said: "A significant percentage of homes affected were social housing - it's worth noting that many landlords took responsibility for their 'own tent', if they didn't then there would have been a far higher cost to the council."

Worcestershire County Council has revealed funding of £1.5 million will be available this year for more flood defences and other alleviation work.

The Government has also handed Worcestershire £700,000 towards flooding as part of a £47 million package to help the county's economy, to be spent on New Road.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:39pm Wed 23 Jul 14

RobertR says...

Don't get too excited. We've been waiting since 2007 for flood protection in Wick. It's taken three years for our Parish council to apply for a grant and the EA,WCC and others to drag there heels for a year over the grant decision. At least another four months before any work is carried out.
If you thinking of a quick solution forget it!.
Don't get too excited. We've been waiting since 2007 for flood protection in Wick. It's taken three years for our Parish council to apply for a grant and the EA,WCC and others to drag there heels for a year over the grant decision. At least another four months before any work is carried out. If you thinking of a quick solution forget it!. RobertR
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree