Enjoy a barbecue safely this summer

First published in News

HEREFORD and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to take care when using their barbecues during the warm weather.

Station commander Alan Haley said: "If you’ve planned a barbecue and the weather lets you down, don’t take the barbecue indoors or into a tent. In recent years, some people have sadly succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result, so we are urging everyone to stay safe this summer.”

Other tips include not leaving a barbecue unattended, keeping it away from sheds, trees and garden waste and emptying ashes on to bare garden soil and not into dustbins or wheelie bins.

Station Commander Haley added: "By far the biggest danger is the use of flammable liquids to light the barbecue. We have had a couple of occasions where people have poured petrol onto the charcoal in an effort to get it going and the reaction has, not surprisingly, been violent and highly dangerous. Prepare well in advance and light the charcoal early.”

For more fire safety advice go to www.hwfire.org.uk.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree