Sad scenes as popular coffee shop closes

Sad scenes as popular coffee shop closes

GOODBYES: About 200 people came to say goodbye to Cafe Aroma at the party on Saturday. Picture by Andrew Kelsall (s)

MEMORIES: Owner Darren Bindert shares some time with some loyal customers. Picture by Andrew Kelsall (s)

EMOTIONAL: It was a sad day for staff and customers. Picture by Andrew Kelsall (s)

(8685276)

(8685283)

FLOWERS: Staff member Zuzana Galasova receives a bunch of flowers from a customer. Picture by Andrew Kelsall (s)

CLOSED: Cafe Aroma had been trading in Worcester for over seven years but has been forced to close its doors. Picture by Andrew Kelsall (s)

First published in News
Last updated

THERE were many tears, hugs and happy memories shared at a bittersweet party to mark the closing of a popular city centre cafe.

Over 200 people visited Cafe Aroma in Cathedral Plaza to say goodbye to staff and enjoy their last hot drink or bacon roll before the doors shut for good.

But while owner Darren Bindert enjoyed having the chance to say goodbye to loyal regulars who had become friends, it was a sad day as he did not want to close the cafe he ran for over seven years.

Cathedral Plaza's owner Salmon Harvester has ended his tenancy ahead of plans to transform it into a leisure complex boasting seven restaurants across two floors.

A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out adding: "We wish them all the best for the future."

Mr Bindert, aged 46, called the closure an "end of an era" but has not ruled out opening another cafe in the city, collecting customers' email addresses to keep them informed of updates.

"Saturday was very emotional.

"There were lots of tears, a lot of people came by to give it a lovely send off.

"We must have had well over 200 people come through the doors to wish us well and I've got 20 pages of of comments about the job we have done.

"It was busy and standing room only from 9.30am through to 5pm."

Mr Bindert, who is originally from Canada and now lives in Birmingham, said he would be taking a break for the summer then worry about the next step.

Four staff members were also made redundant following the closure.

The former senior manager at Barclay's Bank said he had no idea how many cups of coffee had been served over the years but said it must have been hundreds of thousands.

"People have been telling us what the loss is going to mean to them - older people who would come in as part of their daily ritual to get out of the house, parents whose children knew it as the cafe with the toys and those who hoped we would resurrect somewhere else.

"It was a community and people came here who didn't know each other and ended up making friends.

"We have even had people meet their future partners here.

"That was what was so wonderful about the cafe and made it special in Worcester.

"It's a real shame for independent coffee shops like this because they are the heart and soul of any city.

"All you are left with are soulless, ubiquitous chains which can't have any uniqueness about them but they are what they are.

"In my heart of hearts, I hope I can find a new place to open in Worcester."

To leave a message to Mr Bindert and the staff at Cafe Aroma, log on to cafearoma.co.uk/blog.

What they're saying on our Facebook page about the closure of Cafe Aroma:

 

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:03am Tue 29 Jul 14

themooman says...

fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee
fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee themooman
  • Score: -75

10:43am Tue 29 Jul 14

3thinker says...

No doubt small independent coffee shops have trouble competing with some of the big chains who managed to avoid paying tax. Perhaps time the good burghers of Worcester decided to patronise the independents. Its also a lot better for the local economy.
No doubt small independent coffee shops have trouble competing with some of the big chains who managed to avoid paying tax. Perhaps time the good burghers of Worcester decided to patronise the independents. Its also a lot better for the local economy. 3thinker
  • Score: 34

10:47am Tue 29 Jul 14

SazB says...

I'm guessing the 200 people who turned up on Saturday didn't think the coffee was rubbish ;-)
I'm guessing the 200 people who turned up on Saturday didn't think the coffee was rubbish ;-) SazB
  • Score: 52

11:14am Tue 29 Jul 14

Thechopster says...

No doubt there will be yet another Costa when the new complex opens.
No doubt there will be yet another Costa when the new complex opens. Thechopster
  • Score: 13

2:43pm Tue 29 Jul 14

themooman says...

200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;)
200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;) themooman
  • Score: -44

3:13pm Tue 29 Jul 14

mauro balbino says...

themooman wrote:
200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;)
Well, you needed not to turn up to be an idiot.
[quote][p][bold]themooman[/bold] wrote: 200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;)[/p][/quote]Well, you needed not to turn up to be an idiot. mauro balbino
  • Score: 23

3:20pm Tue 29 Jul 14

mauro balbino says...

Darren & Zuzana always with a smile.
A place where you can sit and browse a paper.
Comfortable sofas.
Good Jazz, good Blues, always.
And an excellent coffee!
Darren & Zuzana always with a smile. A place where you can sit and browse a paper. Comfortable sofas. Good Jazz, good Blues, always. And an excellent coffee! mauro balbino
  • Score: 22

4:07pm Tue 29 Jul 14

themooman says...

mauro balbino wrote:
Darren & Zuzana always with a smile. A place where you can sit and browse a paper. Comfortable sofas. Good Jazz, good Blues, always. And an excellent coffee!
gone now though mate..hard luck
[quote][p][bold]mauro balbino[/bold] wrote: Darren & Zuzana always with a smile. A place where you can sit and browse a paper. Comfortable sofas. Good Jazz, good Blues, always. And an excellent coffee![/p][/quote]gone now though mate..hard luck themooman
  • Score: -31

4:09pm Tue 29 Jul 14

themooman says...

mauro balbino wrote:
themooman wrote: 200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;)
Well, you needed not to turn up to be an idiot.
are you challenging me to a square dance??

Oh and for the record its simply you 'need not have turnED up to be an idiot"

Want some ice for that burn?
[quote][p][bold]mauro balbino[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]themooman[/bold] wrote: 200 people who turned up on saturday were idiotic ;)[/p][/quote]Well, you needed not to turn up to be an idiot.[/p][/quote]are you challenging me to a square dance?? Oh and for the record its simply you 'need not have turnED up to be an idiot" Want some ice for that burn? themooman
  • Score: -28

4:25pm Tue 29 Jul 14

mauro balbino says...

Asinus asinum fricat.
Asinus asinum fricat. mauro balbino
  • Score: 4

5:19pm Tue 29 Jul 14

originalG says...

never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really.
never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really. originalG
  • Score: 0

5:23pm Tue 29 Jul 14

CJH says...

originalG wrote:
never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really.
Well, maybe it's just you?
[quote][p][bold]originalG[/bold] wrote: never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really.[/p][/quote]Well, maybe it's just you? CJH
  • Score: 12

7:03pm Tue 29 Jul 14

DarrenM says...

7 restaurants across two floors - That's lucky I was just thinking the other day how there were hardly any restaurants in Worcester and that we could do with a few more - Theres a shortage of charity shops as well....
7 restaurants across two floors - That's lucky I was just thinking the other day how there were hardly any restaurants in Worcester and that we could do with a few more - Theres a shortage of charity shops as well.... DarrenM
  • Score: 16

7:04pm Tue 29 Jul 14

liketoknow says...

originalG wrote:
never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really.
once they took away Sainsbury's and Russell & Dorrell's went it was always going to go downhill . there's no incentive to go there. what a mistake that was. was it down to high rates?
[quote][p][bold]originalG[/bold] wrote: never went in as Cathedral Plaza is dead, only used as a cut through to the cathedral area for me. When i did look in, it seemed very quiet. The decor also quite stale. Shame as Costa and co are very bland and all the same, but many independents don't get it right either - bit stale and often the coffee worse. There is a little coffee shop near the Worcester Porcelain on the corner and the coffee there is foul! I think the only business they get are the unlucky coach trippers as it is right near the drop off point. Also tried Waterside Cafe - weak and burnt. Not good. Any recommendations? Tried Mac and Jac as heard it was good - hmmm average really.[/p][/quote]once they took away Sainsbury's and Russell & Dorrell's went it was always going to go downhill . there's no incentive to go there. what a mistake that was. was it down to high rates? liketoknow
  • Score: 8

9:23pm Tue 29 Jul 14

PammyA says...

Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.
Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains. PammyA
  • Score: 21

12:45am Wed 30 Jul 14

canadagirl says...

I always used to go to Cafe Aroma whenever's I was in Worcester from Canada and always found it had good coffee and Wi-Fi. It was sometimes difficult to find a seat as the cafe was very busy. On par with Starbucks in my mind. It's sad that it will not be there when I'm next in Worcester.
I always used to go to Cafe Aroma whenever's I was in Worcester from Canada and always found it had good coffee and Wi-Fi. It was sometimes difficult to find a seat as the cafe was very busy. On par with Starbucks in my mind. It's sad that it will not be there when I'm next in Worcester. canadagirl
  • Score: 12

1:25pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JackTheSecond says...

PammyA wrote:
Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.
I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.
[quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.[/p][/quote]I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again. JackTheSecond
  • Score: -1

2:15pm Wed 30 Jul 14

PammyA says...

JackTheSecond wrote:
PammyA wrote:
Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.
I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.
Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents.
[quote][p][bold]JackTheSecond[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.[/p][/quote]I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.[/p][/quote]Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents. PammyA
  • Score: 6

3:40pm Wed 30 Jul 14

MJI says...

At least Costa cannot be blamed.
At least Costa cannot be blamed. MJI
  • Score: -1

11:18am Thu 31 Jul 14

Bufton Tufton says...

themooman wrote:
fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee
The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional". No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post.
[quote][p][bold]themooman[/bold] wrote: fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee[/p][/quote]The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional". No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post. Bufton Tufton
  • Score: -11

11:27am Thu 31 Jul 14

Bufton Tufton says...

PammyA wrote:
JackTheSecond wrote:
PammyA wrote:
Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.
I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.
Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents.
The landlords must be loosing money hand over fist as this outdated shopping centre is nearly always deserted. I think it was Sainsburys own decision to move out for some reason best know to them and I have never been a frequent visitor to the Plaza since then.
[quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JackTheSecond[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.[/p][/quote]I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.[/p][/quote]Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents.[/p][/quote]The landlords must be loosing money hand over fist as this outdated shopping centre is nearly always deserted. I think it was Sainsburys own decision to move out for some reason best know to them and I have never been a frequent visitor to the Plaza since then. Bufton Tufton
  • Score: 0

11:29am Thu 31 Jul 14

JackTheSecond says...

Bufton Tufton wrote:
PammyA wrote:
JackTheSecond wrote:
PammyA wrote:
Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.
I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.
Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents.
The landlords must be loosing money hand over fist as this outdated shopping centre is nearly always deserted. I think it was Sainsburys own decision to move out for some reason best know to them and I have never been a frequent visitor to the Plaza since then.
I co-run a shop opposite Cafe Aroma and I can confirm that they had more than enough business through the week to be profitable, certainly more customers than your average Costa in Worcester.
[quote][p][bold]Bufton Tufton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JackTheSecond[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PammyA[/bold] wrote: Losing Cafe Aroma is a sad loss for Worcester. The decor may have been dated, but you could not fail to feel warmth and welcome if you went in. The coffee and food were excellent and the expression of emotion from the many regular customers is a testimony to the community that had been built. The bullying new landowners have lost a great talisman that drew people to this part of Worcester and sadly the heart and soul of the city - the independents - are being gradually choked by the bland chains.[/p][/quote]I don't think the new landowners are bullying, I co-run a charity shop in Cathedral Plaza although we've not (yet) been told that we have to leave, I've had no real problems with them since they took over. The quote in the article says ''A spokesman for Salmon Harvester said it had reached an amicable commercial agreement with Cafe Aroma for them to move out'' - hopefully they will start the Cafe up again.[/p][/quote]Sadly I don't think the quote from Salmon Harvester is truthful. It is different for charity shops. Independent shops have had a significant start up cost and investment. If you can't sell the business as a going concern, it is unlikely that you could restart somewhere else as your whole investment has gone! So I'm afraid the large landowners are acting in a bullying way and squeezing out independents.[/p][/quote]The landlords must be loosing money hand over fist as this outdated shopping centre is nearly always deserted. I think it was Sainsburys own decision to move out for some reason best know to them and I have never been a frequent visitor to the Plaza since then.[/p][/quote]I co-run a shop opposite Cafe Aroma and I can confirm that they had more than enough business through the week to be profitable, certainly more customers than your average Costa in Worcester. JackTheSecond
  • Score: 3

4:26pm Fri 1 Aug 14

themooman says...

Won't be coming to your shop
Won't be coming to your shop themooman
  • Score: -7

6:52pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Flynnders says...

Bufton Tufton wrote:
themooman wrote:
fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee
The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional"
. No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post.
Maybe they disliked the post because it was rubbish. Anyone who knew the owner and staff would know that it didn't ring true. There have been two owners of Cafe Aroma so it could have been the previous owner they were referring to, or maybe they just made it up and have an axe to grind.

The "rubbish coffee" comment is also rubbish because it's a matter of taste and clearly many disagreed with that too.
[quote][p][bold]Bufton Tufton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]themooman[/bold] wrote: fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee[/p][/quote]The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional" . No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post.[/p][/quote]Maybe they disliked the post because it was rubbish. Anyone who knew the owner and staff would know that it didn't ring true. There have been two owners of Cafe Aroma so it could have been the previous owner they were referring to, or maybe they just made it up and have an axe to grind. The "rubbish coffee" comment is also rubbish because it's a matter of taste and clearly many disagreed with that too. Flynnders
  • Score: 9

10:08am Sat 2 Aug 14

it700x says...

If it was that good then the landlord will want them as an anchor client for the redevelopment
If it was that good then the landlord will want them as an anchor client for the redevelopment it700x
  • Score: 0

5:52pm Sat 2 Aug 14

Flynnders says...

it700x wrote:
If it was that good then the landlord will want them as an anchor client for the redevelopment
You really think they'd want a small independent cafe, no matter how popular, as an anchor? They already have big chains to do that and are focussing on bringing more big chains in. The redevelopment makes no provision for small independents, just big units for the chains. Cafe Aroma's unit is to be taken by an expanded NEXT.
[quote][p][bold]it700x[/bold] wrote: If it was that good then the landlord will want them as an anchor client for the redevelopment[/p][/quote]You really think they'd want a small independent cafe, no matter how popular, as an anchor? They already have big chains to do that and are focussing on bringing more big chains in. The redevelopment makes no provision for small independents, just big units for the chains. Cafe Aroma's unit is to be taken by an expanded NEXT. Flynnders
  • Score: 4

1:24am Sun 3 Aug 14

themooman says...

Flynnders wrote:
Bufton Tufton wrote:
themooman wrote:
fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee
The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional"

. No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post.
Maybe they disliked the post because it was rubbish. Anyone who knew the owner and staff would know that it didn't ring true. There have been two owners of Cafe Aroma so it could have been the previous owner they were referring to, or maybe they just made it up and have an axe to grind.

The "rubbish coffee" comment is also rubbish because it's a matter of taste and clearly many disagreed with that too.
Yawn
[quote][p][bold]Flynnders[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bufton Tufton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]themooman[/bold] wrote: fired my sister after 1 day when she was 14 - Glad they have closed down! Karma ! and rubbish coffee[/p][/quote]The Mafioso friends of this now closed coffee shop obviously do not like your post. I only use the plaza as a cut through and hadn't even noticed this coffee shop but the décor does look a bit "institutional" . No doubt all their "friends" will also dislike this post.[/p][/quote]Maybe they disliked the post because it was rubbish. Anyone who knew the owner and staff would know that it didn't ring true. There have been two owners of Cafe Aroma so it could have been the previous owner they were referring to, or maybe they just made it up and have an axe to grind. The "rubbish coffee" comment is also rubbish because it's a matter of taste and clearly many disagreed with that too.[/p][/quote]Yawn themooman
  • Score: -4

10:50am Sun 3 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

you get people with points to make, and then you get wind-up merchants. sad.
you get people with points to make, and then you get wind-up merchants. sad. liketoknow
  • Score: 2

7:38pm Sun 3 Aug 14

lucky2bhere says...

as if we need another 7 restaurants, and chain coffee outlets, Im sticking to Clockwatchers thank you, or Quinns, or House of Fraser, esp as Clockwatchers has good service, nice food and drink, and a passionflower in the conservatory.
as if we need another 7 restaurants, and chain coffee outlets, Im sticking to Clockwatchers thank you, or Quinns, or House of Fraser, esp as Clockwatchers has good service, nice food and drink, and a passionflower in the conservatory. lucky2bhere
  • Score: 4

9:38pm Sun 3 Aug 14

Hugh Wattmate says...

Bet people say its turning into a KFC.. Most likely though some silly book shop, odd candle/smelly gypsy like shop or a hair dressers. Could even turn into another coffee shop. My bets is on hair dressers.
Bet people say its turning into a KFC.. Most likely though some silly book shop, odd candle/smelly gypsy like shop or a hair dressers. Could even turn into another coffee shop. My bets is on hair dressers. Hugh Wattmate
  • Score: -3

10:25pm Thu 7 Aug 14

Small Town says...

That shopping centre is a wart on Worcester, level it and do something like they have in Bath. Go discover.
That shopping centre is a wart on Worcester, level it and do something like they have in Bath. Go discover. Small Town
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree