WORCESTER could get a bigger and better swimming pool after all after councillors voted to approve plans to widen the scope of the scheme.
Although Worcester City Council had previously voted to go ahead with plans for a six-lane pool at Perdiswell – smaller than the existing one in Sansome Walk – at a meeting on Tuesday, July 30 the Conservative-run cabinet gave the go-ahead to investigate the possibility of instead creating a bigger and better facility.
Council leader Cllr Simon Geraghty said he felt it was important the pool that was built was the best it could be.
“We want the pool Worcester deserves,” he said.
“I don’t feel the option on the table is delivering that.
“We want a very short period of time just to make sure the option we’re going forward with is the best one because we going to be living with this for 40 years.”
Councillors had previously agreed to refurbish and extend Perdiswell Leisure Centre to create a new pool to replace the facility at Sansome Walk.
Although Liberal Democrat member Cllr Liz Smith asked the cabinet if they were making the decision for political reasons, she was assured this was not the case.
But she said she was firmly in favour of a bigger pool.
“I don’t think there’s anyone on this council who doesn’t want to see a new swimming pool,” she said.
Cllr Chris Mitchell said it was important for the city to have a swimming pool.
“While the pool we have at the moment suffices it’s on its on its last legs,” he said.
Officers will report back to a meeting of the full council in September.