New Tesco Express to open in Worcester

New Tesco Express to open in Worcester

New Tesco Express to open in Worcester

First published in News
Last updated
Worcester News: Tom Edwards by , Political Reporter

TESCO has secured permission to open up an express store in Barbourne - despite opposition due to traffic fears and the impact on other traders.

The supermarket giant has been allowed to open up at the former Esso petrol station site in Barbourne Road, creating 20 new jobs.

The food store wants to create a three-storey building with a Tesco Express on the ground floor and 12 apartments on the upper levels above it, ten of which will be two-bed and two one-bed.

It was backed by Worcester City Council's planning committee despite Tesco being turned down for an express store on the same site six years ago.

But back in April a Sainsbury's Local was allowed to open at the former Intoto furniture store at the junction of St George’s Lane North, and on top of that independent planning inspectors have shifted towards allowing mini convenience stores the green light.

The committee gave the Tesco approval after saying it would bring a neglected Worcester site on a key gateway back to life.

Three objections had been handed in by nearby householders who are part of the St George's Square Residents Association, saying it would increase traffic and damage the independent traders nearby.

A report before the committee said it was "not for the planning system to control competition between businesses", suggesting that if the plans were refused Tesco could appeal.

Some councillors said the project would help restore a flattened site into a far better state.

Cllr Roger Knight said: "There is a concern over car parking, but on the other hand it will be good to get this empty site back to some kind of operational form."

Under an agreement with the store, it will be required to hand over £8,000 to funds for nearby Northwick Manor Primary School and Tudor Grange Academy, and £10,000 to play facilities in the area.

St George's Residents Association had submitted an objection saying it would have a "detrimental affect on an already critical traffic situation".

But it was passed by the committee, with planning officers saying there will be 15 parking spaces provided on-site.

Simon Petar, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, says it will "create local jobs, homes and more choice" in the city.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:27pm Mon 4 Aug 14

CamelToe says...

What a suprise, Tesco rules the world....... Another back hander for the council
What a suprise, Tesco rules the world....... Another back hander for the council CamelToe
  • Score: 10

3:51pm Mon 4 Aug 14

dave cus says...

why right opposite Sainsbury, and why now....?
why right opposite Sainsbury, and why now....? dave cus
  • Score: 13

4:15pm Mon 4 Aug 14

thompson9100 says...

12 apartments. 10 2 bed and 5 1 bed. Since when did 10+5 = 12? Can't investigate, can't grammar check, can't add up. Great job WN
12 apartments. 10 2 bed and 5 1 bed. Since when did 10+5 = 12? Can't investigate, can't grammar check, can't add up. Great job WN thompson9100
  • Score: 24

4:42pm Mon 4 Aug 14

New Kid on the Block says...

If you want to pay Tesco Express prices you are welcome.
They charge anywhere up to double the price of a main branch Tesco Store.
If you want to pay Tesco Express prices you are welcome. They charge anywhere up to double the price of a main branch Tesco Store. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: 14

5:04pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Hwicce says...

dave cus wrote:
why right opposite Sainsbury, and why now....?
Why not?
[quote][p][bold]dave cus[/bold] wrote: why right opposite Sainsbury, and why now....?[/p][/quote]Why not? Hwicce
  • Score: 8

6:02pm Mon 4 Aug 14

MJI says...

I used to use the Esso about 22 23 years ago, but not sure if there is the business there.
I used to use the Esso about 22 23 years ago, but not sure if there is the business there. MJI
  • Score: 2

6:26pm Mon 4 Aug 14

19joshua87 says...

oh ffs
oh ffs 19joshua87
  • Score: 6

6:45pm Mon 4 Aug 14

CYNIC_AL says...

Another Tesco Express? There's one five minutes down the road next to the station in Foregate Street. How many convenience stores does that part of the city need? As others have said Sainsbury's are opening up shop in Barbourne and not forgetting the Costcutter store by Gheluvelt Park too. FOUR mini supermarkets on the A38 between The Cross and the Old Toll House junction is a bit excessive...
Another Tesco Express? There's one five minutes down the road next to the station in Foregate Street. How many convenience stores does that part of the city need? As others have said Sainsbury's are opening up shop in Barbourne and not forgetting the Costcutter store by Gheluvelt Park too. FOUR mini supermarkets on the A38 between The Cross and the Old Toll House junction is a bit excessive... CYNIC_AL
  • Score: 15

7:31pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Slimboyfat says...

Well done Planning committee. Screw the small businesses in the area, If Sainsburys wasn't bad enough, you've certainly topped it with this one.
Nice to see they've thought about the parking as well or are they turning the bus lane into parking spaces?
Well done Planning committee. Screw the small businesses in the area, If Sainsburys wasn't bad enough, you've certainly topped it with this one. Nice to see they've thought about the parking as well or are they turning the bus lane into parking spaces? Slimboyfat
  • Score: 16

7:38pm Mon 4 Aug 14

worcester90 says...

Why dont we just call this country Tesco.
Why dont we just call this country Tesco. worcester90
  • Score: 7

7:55pm Mon 4 Aug 14

presterjohn says...

To be fair to the council. It would be hard to say no to the revenue from a previously unused bit of land. It sounds like they had a pretty big wants list before they agreed to the deal too. I hope it does not kill off the sandwich shop and newsagents down the road though as they have been a local fixture for years.
To be fair to the council. It would be hard to say no to the revenue from a previously unused bit of land. It sounds like they had a pretty big wants list before they agreed to the deal too. I hope it does not kill off the sandwich shop and newsagents down the road though as they have been a local fixture for years. presterjohn
  • Score: 15

8:27pm Mon 4 Aug 14

old misery says...

Not certain what the Tesco spokesman means by "more choice in the City" perhaps he means more choice of Tesco outlets.
Not certain what the Tesco spokesman means by "more choice in the City" perhaps he means more choice of Tesco outlets. old misery
  • Score: 19

8:38pm Mon 4 Aug 14

crazytattoo says...

Wow just what we need, another tesco! Poor old Barbourne, must have felt left out. Perhaps the council should give the city more important things, other than planning permission for supermarkets every 5 minutes
Wow just what we need, another tesco! Poor old Barbourne, must have felt left out. Perhaps the council should give the city more important things, other than planning permission for supermarkets every 5 minutes crazytattoo
  • Score: 6

8:48pm Mon 4 Aug 14

brooksider says...

thompson9100 wrote:
12 apartments. 10 2 bed and 5 1 bed. Since when did 10+5 = 12? Can't investigate, can't grammar check, can't add up. Great job WN
The article is also factually incorrect.
Tesco were granted planning permission on appeal in 2009 after the Council turned down the application.
That application was for 12 flats, Tesco had originally applied for 18 houses plus a shop!
Worcester City Council even had to compensate Tesco.

Originally the Council wanted housing on the old brewery site and as landowner it was Tesco who neglected it.
[quote][p][bold]thompson9100[/bold] wrote: 12 apartments. 10 2 bed and 5 1 bed. Since when did 10+5 = 12? Can't investigate, can't grammar check, can't add up. Great job WN[/p][/quote]The article is also factually incorrect. Tesco were granted planning permission on appeal in 2009 after the Council turned down the application. That application was for 12 flats, Tesco had originally applied for 18 houses plus a shop! Worcester City Council even had to compensate Tesco. Originally the Council wanted housing on the old brewery site and as landowner it was Tesco who neglected it. brooksider
  • Score: 12

11:55pm Mon 4 Aug 14

davethedude says...

The newsagents opposite the grammar, the other garages with shops out that side of town, the sarnie shop, butcher, Costcutter, Co-op etc could all suffer from loss of business.

More Choice? - Nope. Already have plenty of Tescos. Can only see us losing some of the above business over time, just because they don't have Tesco's purchasing power and capital investment available.

Many people won't consider going to the butchers when they want a piece of meat. All their business will go to Tesco. When we do want a piece of higher quality meat, we might find the butchers have closed down, or had to put their prices up for the more discerning customers they keep. It is a race to the bottom.

More jobs? - for every £1 spent at Tesco do they employ more people than Costcutter/other small businesses do? I think they are likely to be more efficient (logistics investments, large scale operation), and therefore employ less people per £1 spent. Worcester citizens are not going to spend more because of a new convenience store. Therefore less jobs over time as those stores get impacted.

A few new flats. Woopi! Did none of the property developers want to make plans for the land, or was it owned by an organisation determined to get a shop there for their own business, giving the Council a choice of shop and flats or wasteland"?

Not sure if the Council are to blame for short sightedness, or maybe they are hamstrung by overarching legislation and fear of legal costs. But this decision sucks.
The newsagents opposite the grammar, the other garages with shops out that side of town, the sarnie shop, butcher, Costcutter, Co-op etc could all suffer from loss of business. More Choice? - Nope. Already have plenty of Tescos. Can only see us losing some of the above business over time, just because they don't have Tesco's purchasing power and capital investment available. Many people won't consider going to the butchers when they want a piece of meat. All their business will go to Tesco. When we do want a piece of higher quality meat, we might find the butchers have closed down, or had to put their prices up for the more discerning customers they keep. It is a race to the bottom. More jobs? - for every £1 spent at Tesco do they employ more people than Costcutter/other small businesses do? I think they are likely to be more efficient (logistics investments, large scale operation), and therefore employ less people per £1 spent. Worcester citizens are not going to spend more because of a new convenience store. Therefore less jobs over time as those stores get impacted. A few new flats. Woopi! Did none of the property developers want to make plans for the land, or was it owned by an organisation determined to get a shop there for their own business, giving the Council a choice of shop and flats or wasteland"? Not sure if the Council are to blame for short sightedness, or maybe they are hamstrung by overarching legislation and fear of legal costs. But this decision sucks. davethedude
  • Score: 6

12:13am Tue 5 Aug 14

Jabbadad says...

Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.
Butchers What Butchers?
Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. Butchers What Butchers? Jabbadad
  • Score: -9

7:03am Tue 5 Aug 14

voledog says...

Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want.

Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it.

But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient.
Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want. Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it. But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient. voledog
  • Score: 11

8:18am Tue 5 Aug 14

Arthur Blenkinsop says...

Hopefully some of you will have watched the Channel 4 Dispatches program last night, called 'Supermarkets:The real cost of cheap food'. Don't use these big supermarkets and their spin-offs, there are not good value for money, do not sell quality produce and are certainly not looking after their staff or their producers/suppliers.
Hopefully some of you will have watched the Channel 4 Dispatches program last night, called 'Supermarkets:The real cost of cheap food'. Don't use these big supermarkets and their spin-offs, there are not good value for money, do not sell quality produce and are certainly not looking after their staff or their producers/suppliers. Arthur Blenkinsop
  • Score: 12

11:33am Tue 5 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

this 'more jobs' is a red herring. the one by us is manned practically singlehanded most of the time. I've noticed ASDA have converted a lot of tills to selfservice too.
this 'more jobs' is a red herring. the one by us is manned practically singlehanded most of the time. I've noticed ASDA have converted a lot of tills to selfservice too. liketoknow
  • Score: 5

12:20pm Tue 5 Aug 14

MJI says...

Jabbadad wrote:
Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.
Butchers What Butchers?
You were doing well until you got political!
[quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. Butchers What Butchers?[/p][/quote]You were doing well until you got political! MJI
  • Score: 15

12:25pm Tue 5 Aug 14

MJI says...

I used to live near there.

Food shopping was done in town. But the takeaways (chips and Indian).

Tesco don't do fish & chips. The other shops are quite a way up Barbourne so why would someone near the shops go up the road to a simialr shops and waste fuel?

If you are going to travel you may as well go to a large supermarket.

As to the Tything, the biggest damage was done by the insistance that new shops must be antique shops, (remember that very narrow book shop)
I used to live near there. Food shopping was done in town. But the takeaways (chips and Indian). Tesco don't do fish & chips. The other shops are quite a way up Barbourne so why would someone near the shops go up the road to a simialr shops and waste fuel? If you are going to travel you may as well go to a large supermarket. As to the Tything, the biggest damage was done by the insistance that new shops must be antique shops, (remember that very narrow book shop) MJI
  • Score: 0

3:10pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Maggie Would says...

You won't catch me in there.
You won't catch me in there. Maggie Would
  • Score: 1

3:43pm Tue 5 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

voledog wrote:
Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want.

Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it.

But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient.
I think you'll find those one-stops are no great shakes on variety either. milk and the basics , if your lucky.
[quote][p][bold]voledog[/bold] wrote: Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want. Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it. But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find those one-stops are no great shakes on variety either. milk and the basics , if your lucky. liketoknow
  • Score: 2

9:10pm Tue 5 Aug 14

nicki1967 says...

Jabbadad wrote:
Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.
Butchers What Butchers?
Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given.
As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party.
[quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. Butchers What Butchers?[/p][/quote]Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given. As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party. nicki1967
  • Score: 9

10:06pm Tue 5 Aug 14

themooman says...

I love tesco great to see a decent supermarket / express in barbourne costcutter and co op are abysmal .. Traffic won't be an issue your foolish if you think it will be
I love tesco great to see a decent supermarket / express in barbourne costcutter and co op are abysmal .. Traffic won't be an issue your foolish if you think it will be themooman
  • Score: -5

10:08pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Jabbadad says...

nicki1967 You are abosulutely on the wrong track about me EVER being a CONservative Party member. But carry on with your sad defence of the NASTY TORIES.
nicki1967 You are abosulutely on the wrong track about me EVER being a CONservative Party member. But carry on with your sad defence of the NASTY TORIES. Jabbadad
  • Score: -10

8:34am Wed 6 Aug 14

New Kid on the Block says...

Maggie Would wrote:
You won't catch me in there.
I will join you in not going there.
Horrible places designed to rip you off even more than the bigger stores.
[quote][p][bold]Maggie Would[/bold] wrote: You won't catch me in there.[/p][/quote]I will join you in not going there. Horrible places designed to rip you off even more than the bigger stores. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: -2

10:02am Wed 6 Aug 14

green49 says...

Jabbadad says...

Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.

He is right, and the ground should be tested as i remember the leak being very serious, as for the CONS well cons says it all really, WHO would open the new store IF built? the Mayor???
Jabbadad says... Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. He is right, and the ground should be tested as i remember the leak being very serious, as for the CONS well cons says it all really, WHO would open the new store IF built? the Mayor??? green49
  • Score: -4

6:38pm Wed 6 Aug 14

brooksider says...

nicki1967 wrote:
Jabbadad wrote:
Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.
Butchers What Butchers?
Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given.
As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party.
Ha Ha!! Jabbadad / Jabba Riaz
Easy mistake to make I suppose.
I wonder which one was in Star Wars?
[quote][p][bold]nicki1967[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. Butchers What Butchers?[/p][/quote]Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given. As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party.[/p][/quote]Ha Ha!! Jabbadad / Jabba Riaz Easy mistake to make I suppose. I wonder which one was in Star Wars? brooksider
  • Score: 5

11:51pm Wed 6 Aug 14

Jabbadad says...

Only when you are a KNOW -All nicci1967 and write with such conviction eh? Ha Ha
Only when you are a KNOW -All nicci1967 and write with such conviction eh? Ha Ha Jabbadad
  • Score: -5

11:10am Thu 7 Aug 14

MJI says...

brooksider wrote:
nicki1967 wrote:
Jabbadad wrote:
Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe?
But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business.
Butchers What Butchers?
Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given.
As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party.
Ha Ha!! Jabbadad / Jabba Riaz
Easy mistake to make I suppose.
I wonder which one was in Star Wars?
Totally different people. Neither are giant slugs.

Oh and Jabba the Hut
[quote][p][bold]brooksider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nicki1967[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: Please kick me if I am wrong, but wasn't this former filling station the site where they had THOUSANDS of GALLONS of PETROL leak out under the concrete into the soil rendering the whole site unsafe. And even when thousands of tons of contaminated soil was removed the site was still classed as contaminated and unsafe? But then our CONservatives have taken the thirty pieces of Silver yet again, all in the name of business. Butchers What Butchers?[/p][/quote]Once a petrol station closes and the tanks underground are drained, it is only classed as safe again after many years. That's even after any leaks. I can't remember how long it is since the site closed but isn't it somewhere between 20 and 30 years? If it wasn't safe, the go-ahead would not have been allowed to be given. As a final note, please quit with your bs about the Tories. Just because you decided to jump ship, you were an avid member for a fair while. Sometimes you post valid comments but surely you could just leave them as that instead of blaming everything on your former party.[/p][/quote]Ha Ha!! Jabbadad / Jabba Riaz Easy mistake to make I suppose. I wonder which one was in Star Wars?[/p][/quote]Totally different people. Neither are giant slugs. Oh and Jabba the Hut MJI
  • Score: 1

10:30pm Thu 7 Aug 14

New Kid on the Block says...

liketoknow wrote:
voledog wrote:
Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want.

Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it.

But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient.
I think you'll find those one-stops are no great shakes on variety either. milk and the basics , if your lucky.
Think of the shop at a petrol station. They are a bit like that, with similar prices.
[quote][p][bold]liketoknow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]voledog[/bold] wrote: Tesco, Sainsbury's and the other major chains succeed because lots of people prefer to use them to those smaller shops that just can't offer the same range of goods or prices. We will lose the Costcutter to Sainsbury's and the newsagent and sandwich shop will go soon after Tesco opens up just because the big chains will offer something more people want. Most small shops are just not commercially viable these days. There are only a few pennies to be made on each sale when you're selling low cost goods - if you're selling the sort of volume Tesco is then that's profitable for the shareholders, if you're an individual shop owner you'll find it very hard to scrape a living. The unfortunate truth is that the ship has long sailed for the small independant shop in the grocery sector and my advice for any of the business owners who will be hit would be to shut up shop NOW and cut their losses. They WILL go out of business and the longer they try fighting the inevitable the larger their debts will be at the end of it. But it won't really be Tesco or Sainsbury's (or the planners) who kill the small shop, it'll be me and you. I live near that area and in truth I buy very little from those shops. As much as I dislike what's happening to the independant shops, like everyone else, I'll probably end up pulling up in my car and popping in because it'll be convenient.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find those one-stops are no great shakes on variety either. milk and the basics , if your lucky.[/p][/quote]Think of the shop at a petrol station. They are a bit like that, with similar prices. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: 2

3:16pm Fri 8 Aug 14

its all spin says...

A block of flats would be more use than yet another Tesco outlet.
A block of flats would be more use than yet another Tesco outlet. its all spin
  • Score: 1

9:24am Sun 10 Aug 14

lizzyloolah says...

I worked part time at that petrol station. It was still trading for a while after I left. I'm sure it was 1995.
I worked part time at that petrol station. It was still trading for a while after I left. I'm sure it was 1995. lizzyloolah
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree