History comes to life at Spetchley reenactment

History comes to life at Spetchley reenactment

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677201 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday.................Ragged Victorians, The Great Unwashed ! (9377342)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677202 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday.................Ragged Victorians, The Great Unwashed !Victorian rat catcher, Joel Thomas (9377344)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677203 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday................American Civil War Union soldiers (9377346)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677204 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday................English Civil War musketeers fire their weapons (9377348)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677205 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday.................Victorian rag and bone man with his cart (9377352)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677206 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday.................Second World War Russian soldiers, Breagh White and David Hill (9377356)

John Anyon 17/8/14 3314677207 M5 Living History Weekend at Spetchley Park on Sunday.................German soldiers, Tom Sweet, Richard Bishop and Steve Scrannage (9377358)

First published in News by

BATTLES were fought between long standing enemies this weekend at Spetchley Park in Worcester as the M5 Living History Show took place.

The Napoleonic War was reenacted alongside American Civil War battles and Second World War conflicts as history came to life all over the weekend.

Now in its eighth year the show has grown in popularity and is one of few multi-period reenactment events in the country.

Brian Bullock, one of the organisers, said there were around 870 reenactors from across the country and visitors from as far as Holland.

"I really enjoy doing it," said Mr Bullock, who was part of the French Napoleonic period. "Every second is a highlight because there is so much going on so it's hard to pick out a favourite moment.

"It's running to programme and we have happy reenactors and happy public."

During the weekend people reenacting live largely within the constraints of their period, camping on the site and enjoying traditional past times.

Antoon Jansen, of the Hood's Texas Brigade, is from the American Civil War period on the side of the confederacy.

He said he got into the past time after seeing bubble gum cards in the 60s.

"We come from all over the country and are here for the whole weekend," he said. "Everybody is like one big family here, and it's a lovely site as well.

"We did camp duties during the day, cleaning our muskets and performed drills. We had a battle as well.

"In the evening we play horse shoes and some of the Napoleonic's come over as well and we had a challenge.

"It's 1860 as far as we can see until we leave the site. This is a winter camp though, and you wouldn't have had this luxury as a fighting man. They walked further than the horses so they just dropped and slept under a blanket."

Another confederate reenactor was 83-year-old Rev Ron Moseley, from Sheffield.

He said: "This is a good event. It's multi-period. The Napoleonic period is the biggest this year. I took part in a battle yesterday, but I am not today. I am a confederate padre, I have been doing it for 30 years."

There were also members of the lower class on hand from the Ragged Victorians group, to remind the British of olden days.

Lee Thomas and his wife Lenny said the group was formed about a year ago.

He said it was a social event for them while Mrs Thomas said they enjoyed acting out what they discovered about the Victorians through their research.

Steve Scrannhee, is a German Paratrooper from the FJR 5 group, and said he enjoyed the multi period reenactment.

"This is the only one that we go to apart from in Kent," he said. "We are teaching history as well and how bad the Germans were. The kids love to see the weapons and they are very interested."

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:05pm Sun 17 Aug 14

iron cross says...

who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....
who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) .... iron cross
  • Score: 23

3:00am Mon 18 Aug 14

Graham Price says...

iron cross wrote:
who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....
Have we learned nothing from history.

To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"?

Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century.

Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis.

Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject.
[quote][p][bold]iron cross[/bold] wrote: who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....[/p][/quote]Have we learned nothing from history. To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"? Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century. Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis. Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject. Graham Price
  • Score: -22

9:16am Mon 18 Aug 14

iron cross says...

Graham Price wrote:
iron cross wrote:
who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....
Have we learned nothing from history.

To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"?

Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century.

Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis.

Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject.
guess you haven't been to many living history event's it has nothing to do with the politics of the time , i despise Hitler and the NSDAP...i carried a gun for my country for 6 years C Coy 2nd Batt RGJ's ...were did you serve ...ive worked with and spoken too 100's of veteran's from all side's ...how many people that were there do you know , ive stood in the garden's of stone on Crete , and in Europe and payed my respect's to our fallen , and those of our enemy , so i may i suggest , that books are only a start , you have to see what it was like , hear and listen to the story's of the hero's that were there , the second world war was not all about the holocaust , it was about the lives of every person in europe , and if anything i find you lack of understanding of that offensive ....
[quote][p][bold]Graham Price[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iron cross[/bold] wrote: who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....[/p][/quote]Have we learned nothing from history. To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"? Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century. Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis. Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject.[/p][/quote]guess you haven't been to many living history event's it has nothing to do with the politics of the time , i despise Hitler and the NSDAP...i carried a gun for my country for 6 years C Coy 2nd Batt RGJ's ...were did you serve ...ive worked with and spoken too 100's of veteran's from all side's ...how many people that were there do you know , ive stood in the garden's of stone on Crete , and in Europe and payed my respect's to our fallen , and those of our enemy , so i may i suggest , that books are only a start , you have to see what it was like , hear and listen to the story's of the hero's that were there , the second world war was not all about the holocaust , it was about the lives of every person in europe , and if anything i find you lack of understanding of that offensive .... iron cross
  • Score: 14

9:28am Mon 18 Aug 14

iron cross says...

iron cross wrote:
Graham Price wrote:
iron cross wrote:
who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....
Have we learned nothing from history.

To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"?

Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century.

Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis.

Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject.
guess you haven't been to many living history event's it has nothing to do with the politics of the time , i despise Hitler and the NSDAP...i carried a gun for my country for 6 years C Coy 2nd Batt RGJ's ...were did you serve ...ive worked with and spoken too 100's of veteran's from all side's ...how many people that were there do you know , ive stood in the garden's of stone on Crete , and in Europe and payed my respect's to our fallen , and those of our enemy , so i may i suggest , that books are only a start , you have to see what it was like , hear and listen to the story's of the hero's that were there , the second world war was not all about the holocaust , it was about the lives of every person in europe , and if anything i find you lack of understanding of that offensive ....
oh and what you said about the SS read about the 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen...at Arnhem...., bit of an eye opener ... and again the german paratroop's were never part of the holocaust , infact ,... some of their officer's were killed defying Hitlers order's ....
[quote][p][bold]iron cross[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graham Price[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iron cross[/bold] wrote: who wrote this crap , i'm one of FJR-5 ....we do event's all over the country , inc the Tank Feast at Bovington , and The Victory Show in Corby , and a whole host of other's we educate and inform the public , as we explain what it was like for German Paratroopers , highly respected by Allied forces in world war two , NOT ALL GERMANS WERE BAD ....as not all ALLIED TROOPS WERE GOOD ....Sarha (name spelled wrong on purpose) please read a book on the subject ...Ian Cross (proud member of FJR-5) ....[/p][/quote]Have we learned nothing from history. To equate the morality of the Nazi regime with the allied troops is deeply offensive. There was a German resistance movement against Hitler and their memory should be lauded; not the memory of those who were complicit in the Holocaust. What next, that not all all Gestapo or SS were were truly evil: a re-enactment of the death camps: that Hitler had some "good ideas"? Some of your fellow travellers from the Confederacy side of the American Civil War tacitly support slavery and segregation, by dressing up as evil men from another century. Perhaps at next year's event we can 'look forward' (sic) to Jihadists recreating the horror of 9/11, 7/7, or the murder and rape of the Yazidis. Perhaps Ian Cross should read a book on the subject.[/p][/quote]guess you haven't been to many living history event's it has nothing to do with the politics of the time , i despise Hitler and the NSDAP...i carried a gun for my country for 6 years C Coy 2nd Batt RGJ's ...were did you serve ...ive worked with and spoken too 100's of veteran's from all side's ...how many people that were there do you know , ive stood in the garden's of stone on Crete , and in Europe and payed my respect's to our fallen , and those of our enemy , so i may i suggest , that books are only a start , you have to see what it was like , hear and listen to the story's of the hero's that were there , the second world war was not all about the holocaust , it was about the lives of every person in europe , and if anything i find you lack of understanding of that offensive ....[/p][/quote]oh and what you said about the SS read about the 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen...at Arnhem...., bit of an eye opener ... and again the german paratroop's were never part of the holocaust , infact ,... some of their officer's were killed defying Hitlers order's .... iron cross
  • Score: 10

9:40am Tue 19 Aug 14

Jimdiver says...

It is wonderful to chat to ww2 veterans and hear first hand of their experiences during the war. For Graham Price to tarnish these soldiers honour, soldiers of both sides who were fighting for their friends and their lives, is truly despicable. I can only imagine his knowledge is based on a film or a game he has played as his theories are rather specific rather than panoramic. To see all sides represented at military shows portrays a balanced approach and teaches the younger generations true history, giving meaning to the imagery of films and multimedia they use day in and day out. It would sadly appear for some , that contemplation on a subject is less important that self embarrassment. Mr Cross, many regards for showing compassion and remembrance to both sides of a truly world conflict. Perhaps the imbecilious rantings of the uneducated prove the use of hard won freedoms mean nought.
It is wonderful to chat to ww2 veterans and hear first hand of their experiences during the war. For Graham Price to tarnish these soldiers honour, soldiers of both sides who were fighting for their friends and their lives, is truly despicable. I can only imagine his knowledge is based on a film or a game he has played as his theories are rather specific rather than panoramic. To see all sides represented at military shows portrays a balanced approach and teaches the younger generations true history, giving meaning to the imagery of films and multimedia they use day in and day out. It would sadly appear for some , that contemplation on a subject is less important that self embarrassment. Mr Cross, many regards for showing compassion and remembrance to both sides of a truly world conflict. Perhaps the imbecilious rantings of the uneducated prove the use of hard won freedoms mean nought. Jimdiver
  • Score: 10

1:16pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Graham Price says...

Nuts
Nuts Graham Price
  • Score: -2

9:28am Sat 23 Aug 14

iron cross says...

Brigadier General Anthony C. McAuliffe ....you will never be ....
Brigadier General Anthony C. McAuliffe ....you will never be .... iron cross
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree