Market traders in Angel Place, Worcester, fear for future as council says there's nowhere for them to go

The market in Angel Place, Worcester, will be refurbished.

Dave Grubb, of D and M Meat, trades at the Worcester market.

Paul Gardner, the Pet Man, on his stall at the market.

First published in News
Last updated
Worcester News: Photograph of the Author by

ANGRY market traders in Worcester say their livelihood is being "killed off" after the council failed to find them a temporary home while their base is revamped.

Traders in Angel Place fear for their future during the 13-week refurbishment and worry they will not have a home when work is finished.

Their fate is in the hands of the new market operator, yet to be appointed by Worcester City Council.

The operator is set to be in place by December 1 but in the meantime shell-shocked traders are in limbo.

Carl and Shelley Cusack who each run a stall were away on their honeymoon in York when told over the telephone that the council has been unable to find a temporary home for the stall-holders.

Mr Cusack, aged 39, is "shocked and horrified" and Mrs Cusack, 35, is "disgusted" by the council’s poor communication with the market’s 16 traders.

Mr Cusack said: “How will I pay my bills?”

The £555,000 Angel Place regeneration project has been put back by one week and will start on Tuesday, September 9.

The cost will be met by Worcester City Council, Worcestershire County Council and the Crown Estate, owners of CrownGate shopping centre.

The traders, some of whom have depended on the market for their livelihoods for more than quarter of a century, were given the devastating news that the market will have to shut for three months during the revamp about their temporary home falling yesterday.

The city council said: “Unfortunately it has not been possible to find a temporary home for Worcester’s market traders while the refurbishment of Angel Place takes place between September and November.”

Angel Place will not be closed during the revamp but work means the market must shut for three months.

Repaving work will take place and existing fixed stands will be removed and replaced with higher quality, flexible and movable stands.

David Blake, economic development and planning policy manager at the city council, said: “It was always hoped that the traders could be accommodated in empty units within CrownGate shopping centre, but that did not prove to be possible so we have been working hard to find an alternative.

“We worked closely with County Highways to find an alternative site and identified Queen Street as the only one that could work.

"Highways were happy to approve a 12-week road closure, but the market operators (not the individual traders - Worcester News) we spoke to about running the site felt that it was not financially viable.”

Duncan Squires, 60, at the flower stall, said: “The thing I’m disappointed about is that all the way through since they announced it was going to happen they said they were going to find us a temporary location.

"On the basis of that everyone has just accepted it. We haven’t looked for any other markets. They (the council) have dragged it out and dragged it out.

"This is my only source of livelihood. Now they are saying we have not got anywhere temporary and we’re not guaranteed to get anywhere even when the work is finished.

“When the market opens in December I do have a feeling certain traders would not be wanted on it.

"I think they have the idea of something ‘pretty pretty’ and ‘arty farty’ and some of the stalls on here would not fit into those plans. They have ideas of Angel Place being like Covent Garden with bars and cafes and cute stalls selling scented candles.”

David Grubb, 61, of D&M Meat has been working on his butcher’s van at Angel Place for the last 25 years but was told two weeks ago there would be no place for his stall at the new-look market when it is finished.

He said: “It is atrocious the way the council has handled this. We have never known anything all the way through - until this morning.

"What can I do? I will have to lay off my two staff. We can have a look at alternatives but they are very rare.

“I was told two weeks ago there wasn’t space for me because the unit is too big. It’s a shame - this is a market chartered city. They should be able to find us somewhere to go. They can find plenty of space for other markets but they can’t find space for 13 weeks for us.

"I personally feel they don’t want the market down here.”

Stall-holder Paul Gardner, 48, known as The Pet Man, said: “This means I have no earnings for 13 weeks. I’m surprised they can do this.

"I thought we had some sort of right?

"There has been a market ever since the time of King John. I feel like they’re killing it off. Thirteen weeks of closure - what does that do to a business?”

He said if he returned he would have to build up his customers again ‘from scratch’ not to mention the loss of income during the work. Traders have been talking about organising a petition about their concerns.

He added: “There are empty shops. Why can’t the council find an empty shop for each of us? There are three units just behind me. The rents would probably be too high.

"Maybe the council could pay our rent for the next 13 weeks. That would be lovely. They don’t want us market traders. We are the lowest of the low in their eyes.”

Individual traders have the option of identifying a location themselves and applying to Worcester City Council for authorisation to trade there under the city’s market charter and to Worcestershire Regulatory Services for a trading licence.

David Blake at the city council said: “We will consider any applications that traders make, although we will have to be mindful of the suitability of any location they apply for and of any other events already booked for the vicinity during that 12-week period.”

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:00am Wed 20 Aug 14

Bufton Tufton says...

Typical of council wallah who don't generate income for themselves and their families using their own wits, but instead live in a gold plated world of thick-pile carpet funded using other peoples taxes. They operate in a world of no competition or commercial risk. Why do the actions council/public sector never demonstrate any urgency?
Typical of council wallah who don't generate income for themselves and their families using their own wits, but instead live in a gold plated world of thick-pile carpet funded using other peoples taxes. They operate in a world of no competition or commercial risk. Why do the actions council/public sector never demonstrate any urgency? Bufton Tufton
  • Score: 29

10:53am Wed 20 Aug 14

green49 says...

This council is run by idiots, no compasion and no interest in anything else other than there own political gain, lets hope there out when the next voting comes round.

Hope the traders find else where then the council will get nothing and thats down to there stupidity.
This council is run by idiots, no compasion and no interest in anything else other than there own political gain, lets hope there out when the next voting comes round. Hope the traders find else where then the council will get nothing and thats down to there stupidity. green49
  • Score: 39

11:41am Wed 20 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

can't they stick them in the high street for a few months.
can't they stick them in the high street for a few months. liketoknow
  • Score: 51

12:00pm Wed 20 Aug 14

komic1 says...

This is terrible, where will I buy a cover for my 3 year old mobile phone now....
This is terrible, where will I buy a cover for my 3 year old mobile phone now.... komic1
  • Score: -17

1:01pm Wed 20 Aug 14

beerman says...

just another case of the council not interested in local business's and people unless it benefits them, I regular use the the meat van there, even last week I spent quite a bit there to re-stock my freezer, where am I going to get my meat from now at a reasonable price? I find the local butchers shops too expensive, as for the other traders, what are they going to do with no income in this period, surley this can be done half at a time, leaving space for traders to carry on, or has anyone looked at a temporary home in the cornmarket carpark or are the council scared they might they will loose too much income on car parking!
just another case of the council not interested in local business's and people unless it benefits them, I regular use the the meat van there, even last week I spent quite a bit there to re-stock my freezer, where am I going to get my meat from now at a reasonable price? I find the local butchers shops too expensive, as for the other traders, what are they going to do with no income in this period, surley this can be done half at a time, leaving space for traders to carry on, or has anyone looked at a temporary home in the cornmarket carpark or are the council scared they might they will loose too much income on car parking! beerman
  • Score: 20

1:32pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Old Uncle says...

The High Street makes sense down the middle or the space around that empty building by Asda across from the Cornmarket. Seems nobody is trying hard enough.
The High Street makes sense down the middle or the space around that empty building by Asda across from the Cornmarket. Seems nobody is trying hard enough. Old Uncle
  • Score: 20

3:02pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Marrowman says...

I'm not totally sure that council-bashing is totally warranted in this instance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Crown Estate (Crowngate) the current operator of the market, not the City Council (who only grant the licence to Crowngate). So why didn't Crowngate brief the traders well in advance to let them know they were pushing the City and County to redevelop Angel Place? As the operator, surely it would be their responsibility to negotiate a suitable alternative location for this well in advance, to protect the market traders (and their long-term income)?

There are bound to be some suitable alternative places in Worcester City Centre where a market could be held for 12-13 weeks whilst they tart up Angel Place. What about:

High Street,
the Guildhall,
the Cathedral Precincts (not unheard of!)
St Martin's Quarter (outside Costa Coffee)
All Saint's Square (bottom of Broad Street)
Cornmarket (Car Park or Square)
Cattlemarket Car Park,
Pump Street,
The Shambles...

... or maybe Erica Burlace (the manager of Crowngate) might like to give a thought to the plight of these poor traders who she has so carelessly disregarded and allow them to take up residence in one of the unused shops within Crowngate itself? The unit opposite Sports Direct has been vacant for some time. I'm sure some of the traders would be delighted to take up residents for a month or two!
I'm not totally sure that council-bashing is totally warranted in this instance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Crown Estate (Crowngate) the current operator of the market, not the City Council (who only grant the licence to Crowngate). So why didn't Crowngate brief the traders well in advance to let them know they were pushing the City and County to redevelop Angel Place? As the operator, surely it would be their responsibility to negotiate a suitable alternative location for this well in advance, to protect the market traders (and their long-term income)? There are bound to be some suitable alternative places in Worcester City Centre where a market could be held for 12-13 weeks whilst they tart up Angel Place. What about: High Street, the Guildhall, the Cathedral Precincts (not unheard of!) St Martin's Quarter (outside Costa Coffee) All Saint's Square (bottom of Broad Street) Cornmarket (Car Park or Square) Cattlemarket Car Park, Pump Street, The Shambles... ... or maybe Erica Burlace (the manager of Crowngate) might like to give a thought to the plight of these poor traders who she has so carelessly disregarded and allow them to take up residence in one of the unused shops within Crowngate itself? The unit opposite Sports Direct has been vacant for some time. I'm sure some of the traders would be delighted to take up residents for a month or two! Marrowman
  • Score: 26

3:36pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Happyfruiter says...

Marrowman wrote:
I'm not totally sure that council-bashing is totally warranted in this instance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Crown Estate (Crowngate) the current operator of the market, not the City Council (who only grant the licence to Crowngate). So why didn't Crowngate brief the traders well in advance to let them know they were pushing the City and County to redevelop Angel Place? As the operator, surely it would be their responsibility to negotiate a suitable alternative location for this well in advance, to protect the market traders (and their long-term income)?

There are bound to be some suitable alternative places in Worcester City Centre where a market could be held for 12-13 weeks whilst they tart up Angel Place. What about:

High Street,
the Guildhall,
the Cathedral Precincts (not unheard of!)
St Martin's Quarter (outside Costa Coffee)
All Saint's Square (bottom of Broad Street)
Cornmarket (Car Park or Square)
Cattlemarket Car Park,
Pump Street,
The Shambles...

... or maybe Erica Burlace (the manager of Crowngate) might like to give a thought to the plight of these poor traders who she has so carelessly disregarded and allow them to take up residence in one of the unused shops within Crowngate itself? The unit opposite Sports Direct has been vacant for some time. I'm sure some of the traders would be delighted to take up residents for a month or two!
Fab comments ! Crown gate no longer have running of the market so they are not go blame , the council have it in hand ( or not ! )once the market operator brays finishes their tender next month .
The council have been the ones who have kept people in the dark and have made outrageous decisions without talking it through with the traders.
[quote][p][bold]Marrowman[/bold] wrote: I'm not totally sure that council-bashing is totally warranted in this instance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Crown Estate (Crowngate) the current operator of the market, not the City Council (who only grant the licence to Crowngate). So why didn't Crowngate brief the traders well in advance to let them know they were pushing the City and County to redevelop Angel Place? As the operator, surely it would be their responsibility to negotiate a suitable alternative location for this well in advance, to protect the market traders (and their long-term income)? There are bound to be some suitable alternative places in Worcester City Centre where a market could be held for 12-13 weeks whilst they tart up Angel Place. What about: High Street, the Guildhall, the Cathedral Precincts (not unheard of!) St Martin's Quarter (outside Costa Coffee) All Saint's Square (bottom of Broad Street) Cornmarket (Car Park or Square) Cattlemarket Car Park, Pump Street, The Shambles... ... or maybe Erica Burlace (the manager of Crowngate) might like to give a thought to the plight of these poor traders who she has so carelessly disregarded and allow them to take up residence in one of the unused shops within Crowngate itself? The unit opposite Sports Direct has been vacant for some time. I'm sure some of the traders would be delighted to take up residents for a month or two![/p][/quote]Fab comments ! Crown gate no longer have running of the market so they are not go blame , the council have it in hand ( or not ! )once the market operator brays finishes their tender next month . The council have been the ones who have kept people in the dark and have made outrageous decisions without talking it through with the traders. Happyfruiter
  • Score: 10

3:39pm Wed 20 Aug 14

joestansmith says...

Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found.

However;
It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester.
Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale.
In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair.

Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere.
Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...
Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found. However; It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester. Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale. In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair. Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere. Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area... joestansmith
  • Score: 3

3:57pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Happyfruiter says...

joestansmith wrote:
Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found.

However;
It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester.
Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale.
In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair.

Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere.
Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...
That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it
[quote][p][bold]joestansmith[/bold] wrote: Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found. However; It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester. Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale. In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair. Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere. Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...[/p][/quote]That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it Happyfruiter
  • Score: 16

4:49pm Wed 20 Aug 14

joestansmith says...

Happyfruiter wrote:
joestansmith wrote:
Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found.

However;
It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester.
Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale.
In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair.

Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere.
Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...
That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it
I understand and agree, i wasn't looking to bash the produce sellers - i've used the market to buy fresh fruit and veg for years, but definitely some of the stalls are more suited to carboot sales. An indoor market or 'Inshops' in the Crowngate area would be perfect for these instead of the units sitting empty.
When the chap in the interview above said "They have ideas of Angel Place being like Covent Garden with bars and cafes and cute stalls" isnt exactly what Angel Place should be like..?
[quote][p][bold]Happyfruiter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]joestansmith[/bold] wrote: Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found. However; It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester. Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale. In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair. Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere. Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...[/p][/quote]That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it[/p][/quote]I understand and agree, i wasn't looking to bash the produce sellers - i've used the market to buy fresh fruit and veg for years, but definitely some of the stalls are more suited to carboot sales. An indoor market or 'Inshops' in the Crowngate area would be perfect for these instead of the units sitting empty. When the chap in the interview above said "They have ideas of Angel Place being like Covent Garden with bars and cafes and cute stalls" isnt exactly what Angel Place should be like..? joestansmith
  • Score: 2

4:56pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Happyfruiter says...

joestansmith wrote:
Happyfruiter wrote:
joestansmith wrote:
Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found.

However;
It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester.
Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale.
In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair.

Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere.
Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...
That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it
I understand and agree, i wasn't looking to bash the produce sellers - i've used the market to buy fresh fruit and veg for years, but definitely some of the stalls are more suited to carboot sales. An indoor market or 'Inshops' in the Crowngate area would be perfect for these instead of the units sitting empty.
When the chap in the interview above said "They have ideas of Angel Place being like Covent Garden with bars and cafes and cute stalls" isnt exactly what Angel Place should be like..?
There must be at least 20 coffee shop / cafés in Worcester town centre. What is the point of having more. There is only so much scope. Also in shops or indoor markets
don't work no more as all over the country in every city they have closed down. An open air market redeveloped with new stalls is the way to go.
[quote][p][bold]joestansmith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happyfruiter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]joestansmith[/bold] wrote: Coming from a working class background with market traders in the family, i feel for the traders, this will probably turn out to be a calculated move on behalf of the council in an attempt to drive the normal traders out and really the council should be held responsible for loss of earnings if a temporary replacement was not found. However; It pains me to say this, but in all honesty that market is a blight on Worcester. Not just the aesthetics of the market place itself, but the stalls and traders.; without wishing to offend anyone, (as i've said - we have family members that have run market stalls) the type of products being sold, phone chargers, spongebob squarepants towels, cheap quality clothes - really are more in keeping with Dudley/Blackheath market or Studley carboot sale. In response to the "arty ****" comment, again i hate to say it, but if Worcester is to be a city of culture, gain revenue from tourism etc," arty ****" is probably what the market place needs, not tat that can be picked up from the Poundshop or local carboot fair. Local farm produce? Crafts? Even the antiques/vintage market once a month does more for the aesthetics and atmosphere. Perhaps i'm alone in thinking this, but that market place is dragging down an already outdated and scruffy looking area...[/p][/quote]That is the whole point of it being redeveloped. Because the stalls are outdated and modern pop ups are the way to go. People don't need arty **** everyday they need there fruit and veg they need there meat and they need there phones fixing. Markets like the arty **** type that se candles and home made craft products happen at the top of the high st every so often. These are mostly people who do that as a hobby. The traders who work that market every day rely on it as it's there job. Not something they do once a month for the fun of it[/p][/quote]I understand and agree, i wasn't looking to bash the produce sellers - i've used the market to buy fresh fruit and veg for years, but definitely some of the stalls are more suited to carboot sales. An indoor market or 'Inshops' in the Crowngate area would be perfect for these instead of the units sitting empty. When the chap in the interview above said "They have ideas of Angel Place being like Covent Garden with bars and cafes and cute stalls" isnt exactly what Angel Place should be like..?[/p][/quote]There must be at least 20 coffee shop / cafés in Worcester town centre. What is the point of having more. There is only so much scope. Also in shops or indoor markets don't work no more as all over the country in every city they have closed down. An open air market redeveloped with new stalls is the way to go. Happyfruiter
  • Score: 10

5:58pm Wed 20 Aug 14

brooksider says...

This is a perfect example of how Worcester is being held back economically by these buffons.
I note there is a lack of comments from Simon Geraghty and Marc Bayliss the supposed Portfolio Holder for Economic Prosperity.
This is a perfect example of how Worcester is being held back economically by these buffons. I note there is a lack of comments from Simon Geraghty and Marc Bayliss the supposed Portfolio Holder for Economic Prosperity. brooksider
  • Score: 13

6:24pm Wed 20 Aug 14

imustbeoldiwearacap says...

I'm with Marrowman - the first place I though of was St Martins Quarter in front of Costa - give a bit of life to a bleak space!
I'm with Marrowman - the first place I though of was St Martins Quarter in front of Costa - give a bit of life to a bleak space! imustbeoldiwearacap
  • Score: 15

6:26pm Wed 20 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

it used to be in that place in the Shambles . Why did they move it?
it used to be in that place in the Shambles . Why did they move it? liketoknow
  • Score: 5

6:32pm Wed 20 Aug 14

A Chap says...

This is a terrible way for Worcester City Council to behave - they are simply telling the market traders that they will be out of work for three months. And as for the meat trader David Grubb he's effectively being put out of work permanently.

A lot of people have spent years building up these businesses; it is wrong and immoral that the council just shrug their shoulders and say "tough".

It's not as if the council is short of money. You only have to look at the current civil engineering work at County Hall (to provide them with more car parking spaces, no doubt considered "essential") to see how money can easily be found if they want to.

I've lived in cities with thriving market areas; they are a boon and I welcome the redevelopment of the Angel Place. But don't screw the people who have supported the market for so many years.

David Blake (at the city council) should be ashamed.
This is a terrible way for Worcester City Council to behave - they are simply telling the market traders that they will be out of work for three months. And as for the meat trader David Grubb he's effectively being put out of work permanently. A lot of people have spent years building up these businesses; it is wrong and immoral that the council just shrug their shoulders and say "tough". It's not as if the council is short of money. You only have to look at the current civil engineering work at County Hall (to provide them with more car parking spaces, no doubt considered "essential") to see how money can easily be found if they want to. I've lived in cities with thriving market areas; they are a boon and I welcome the redevelopment of the Angel Place. But don't screw the people who have supported the market for so many years. David Blake (at the city council) should be ashamed. A Chap
  • Score: 14

6:37pm Wed 20 Aug 14

A Chap says...

The irony is that David Blake's profile on LinkedIn ( http://uk.linkedin.c
om/in/davidblake13 ) says...

"my passion is economic development and regeneration - or should I say helping to improve the lives of the people that live in the communities where I work and the competitiveness of businesses that are located in these areas"

What is that word beginning with H I'm trying to think of...? Hypocr....
The irony is that David Blake's profile on LinkedIn ( http://uk.linkedin.c om/in/davidblake13 ) says... "my passion is economic development and regeneration - or should I say helping to improve the lives of the people that live in the communities where I work and the competitiveness of businesses that are located in these areas" What is that word beginning with H I'm trying to think of...? Hypocr.... A Chap
  • Score: 14

10:19pm Wed 20 Aug 14

julie allsopp says...

We used to have a fabulous open air market in Malvern until Waitrose arrived. Then they found other places for the market traders.....now we have NO open air market at all....Malvern is crap.Worcester is heading the same way. Leave the market traders where they are and spend the money somewhere else...
We used to have a fabulous open air market in Malvern until Waitrose arrived. Then they found other places for the market traders.....now we have NO open air market at all....Malvern is crap.Worcester is heading the same way. Leave the market traders where they are and spend the money somewhere else... julie allsopp
  • Score: 8

12:09am Thu 21 Aug 14

Jabbadad says...

Seems like many other things a market does not fit the CONservative way of life. probably since the less well off find it a welcome place to do business. when we recall that party claiming to be the party of small shopkeepers, this is how they act. It would be justice if the stall holders were able to find an area not under the CONservative jurisdiction, and became a permanent venue thus leaving the Crowngate and the CONservatives with yet another business ****-up.
Looking at the history of Worcester City Centre most of the devastation caused has been under CONservative control.
Our councillors won't be too fussed as long as they are claiming their high Attendance allowances for a part time job, and are able to keep their free car parking at both the Guildhall, County hall and other Council owned buildings.
Seems like many other things a market does not fit the CONservative way of life. probably since the less well off find it a welcome place to do business. when we recall that party claiming to be the party of small shopkeepers, this is how they act. It would be justice if the stall holders were able to find an area not under the CONservative jurisdiction, and became a permanent venue thus leaving the Crowngate and the CONservatives with yet another business ****-up. Looking at the history of Worcester City Centre most of the devastation caused has been under CONservative control. Our councillors won't be too fussed as long as they are claiming their high Attendance allowances for a part time job, and are able to keep their free car parking at both the Guildhall, County hall and other Council owned buildings. Jabbadad
  • Score: -2

7:26am Thu 21 Aug 14

WorcsBornandBred says...

Jesus.

Crowngate is NOT owned by the council so they have very little sway or say in it's goings on!

Come on guys, do your research before commenting like broken records!
Jesus. Crowngate is NOT owned by the council so they have very little sway or say in it's goings on! Come on guys, do your research before commenting like broken records! WorcsBornandBred
  • Score: 1

8:27am Thu 21 Aug 14

Jabbadad says...

Do Crowngate own Angel Place?
Do Crowngate own Angel Place? Jabbadad
  • Score: 0

10:46am Thu 21 Aug 14

liketoknow says...

WorcsBornandBred wrote:
Jesus.

Crowngate is NOT owned by the council so they have very little sway or say in it's goings on!

Come on guys, do your research before commenting like broken records!
I think they have to have licences don't they?
[quote][p][bold]WorcsBornandBred[/bold] wrote: Jesus. Crowngate is NOT owned by the council so they have very little sway or say in it's goings on! Come on guys, do your research before commenting like broken records![/p][/quote]I think they have to have licences don't they? liketoknow
  • Score: 2

11:47am Thu 21 Aug 14

Happyfruiter says...

Jabbadad wrote:
Do Crowngate own Angel Place?
No. They held the license till now. Now it is back in hands of council
[quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: Do Crowngate own Angel Place?[/p][/quote]No. They held the license till now. Now it is back in hands of council Happyfruiter
  • Score: 3

12:55pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Happypunter says...

Worcester market should be relocated for the time being until it's ready to move back after the work, it's not rocket science it's simple.
Bromsgrove market was moved easily ok it do not suit some traders but they are moving back soon , why it wasn't this simple in Worcester I'll never know ?? A lot more space to choice from than bromsgrove.
The council have been naughty and non respectful of people's businesses and should publicly apologise for the heartache they have caused over these outrageous decisions.
The last few days for the traders have been awful and stressful and still nothing is decided on the future of them.
Worcester council think hard before making another wrong decision ??!!
Worcester market should be relocated for the time being until it's ready to move back after the work, it's not rocket science it's simple. Bromsgrove market was moved easily ok it do not suit some traders but they are moving back soon , why it wasn't this simple in Worcester I'll never know ?? A lot more space to choice from than bromsgrove. The council have been naughty and non respectful of people's businesses and should publicly apologise for the heartache they have caused over these outrageous decisions. The last few days for the traders have been awful and stressful and still nothing is decided on the future of them. Worcester council think hard before making another wrong decision ??!! Happypunter
  • Score: 2

1:09pm Thu 21 Aug 14

ST_Clarke says...

Marrowman Marrowman Marrowman...Judging on the current performanes of Worcester(shire) City(County) Council it is a risky strategy to give them any benefit of the doubt based on their decision making qualities. I do find it hard to stomach the fact that the Council finds it appropriate to spend tax payers money on refurbishing Angel Place, when there are much more pressing items that need addressing.
This mess goes hand in glove with the more recent item on the Commissioning decisions fiasco at County Hall. Useless utterly useless........
Marrowman Marrowman Marrowman...Judging on the current performanes of Worcester(shire) City(County) Council it is a risky strategy to give them any benefit of the doubt based on their decision making qualities. I do find it hard to stomach the fact that the Council finds it appropriate to spend tax payers money on refurbishing Angel Place, when there are much more pressing items that need addressing. This mess goes hand in glove with the more recent item on the Commissioning decisions fiasco at County Hall. Useless utterly useless........ ST_Clarke
  • Score: -2

1:37pm Thu 21 Aug 14

originalG says...

Worcester City Council are complete idiots.
There are so many empty places and shops for the market stalls to temporarily move into and i am disgusted with them. Crowngate in my opinion needs demolishing - it is a blot on the landscape. But that will unfortunately never happen - so we are in a state of limbo with empty shops and a tired facade. Move the stalls into the huge space where Mark One (spelling?) used to be? That is a vast space. Or the Shambles? Or the empty Card Party there? Some stalls can set up temporary shops?

What about that street down the side of Debenhams? Bit of space there for the meat stall and a couple other vans? Or the dead zone (as i call it) towards Asda near Costa?
On a side note, It is hilarious that ANOTHER hairdresser has opened there?! How on earth do all these hairdressers compete for business? Do Worcester City Council have shares in these salons or something?!
Worcester City Council are complete idiots. There are so many empty places and shops for the market stalls to temporarily move into and i am disgusted with them. Crowngate in my opinion needs demolishing - it is a blot on the landscape. But that will unfortunately never happen - so we are in a state of limbo with empty shops and a tired facade. Move the stalls into the huge space where Mark One (spelling?) used to be? That is a vast space. Or the Shambles? Or the empty Card Party there? Some stalls can set up temporary shops? What about that street down the side of Debenhams? Bit of space there for the meat stall and a couple other vans? Or the dead zone (as i call it) towards Asda near Costa? On a side note, It is hilarious that ANOTHER hairdresser has opened there?! How on earth do all these hairdressers compete for business? Do Worcester City Council have shares in these salons or something?! originalG
  • Score: 1

5:03pm Sun 24 Aug 14

Keith B says...

This particular breed of Tory's, only in power because of a nasty little self serving turncoat, seem an uncaring bunch for ordinary working people. Like Hardman at County level, the Tory's in the City seem to be a bunch of dogmatic thugs.

Worcester is a swing seat in the next general election - which is being held on the same day as the next City Council election. As most people will vote the same way in the Council election as they will for Parliament, will Robin Walker lose his seat because people are simply disgusted with the actions of the City Tory's and their pet Mayor .... which in turn may just be the difference in who forms the next Government. Both are going to be close. And will there be a UKIP influence who although more right wing than the hard-core Tories, seem to be a lot more caring for the ordinary middle England voters and less well off folk.

These few market traders are part of the make up of the City - indeed the market place is the foundation of this and most other City's. The City has a duty to maintain a market both during the 13 weeks of it's closure and then afterwards for the current traders and maybe some new ones - including the butchers van which I have never used but serves a clientele, who are, in the end, the employers of the Council through their Council Tax funding.

Or is the "improvement" just going to make it a sterile area so that the "Jessica's and Henry's" from the County set can pretend they are roughing it by buying from a market stall.
This particular breed of Tory's, only in power because of a nasty little self serving turncoat, seem an uncaring bunch for ordinary working people. Like Hardman at County level, the Tory's in the City seem to be a bunch of dogmatic thugs. Worcester is a swing seat in the next general election - which is being held on the same day as the next City Council election. As most people will vote the same way in the Council election as they will for Parliament, will Robin Walker lose his seat because people are simply disgusted with the actions of the City Tory's and their pet Mayor .... which in turn may just be the difference in who forms the next Government. Both are going to be close. And will there be a UKIP influence who although more right wing than the hard-core Tories, seem to be a lot more caring for the ordinary middle England voters and less well off folk. These few market traders are part of the make up of the City - indeed the market place is the foundation of this and most other City's. The City has a duty to maintain a market both during the 13 weeks of it's closure and then afterwards for the current traders and maybe some new ones - including the butchers van which I have never used but serves a clientele, who are, in the end, the employers of the Council through their Council Tax funding. Or is the "improvement" just going to make it a sterile area so that the "Jessica's and Henry's" from the County set can pretend they are roughing it by buying from a market stall. Keith B
  • Score: 1

8:00pm Sun 24 Aug 14

Bufton Tufton says...

There seems to plenty of room for stalls in a prime High Street position near M&S during the annual Christmas fair so why not now?
There seems to plenty of room for stalls in a prime High Street position near M&S during the annual Christmas fair so why not now? Bufton Tufton
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree