A GROUP of women who believe their drinks were spiked while on a night out in Worcester have called for more to be done to support people in the same situation.
The trio went out into the city centre on Saturday, February 21, but, despite drinking only three glasses of wine each over a period of about six hours, began to feel much less in control than they would expect to given the amount they had drunk.
One of the women said they believed something had been put in their drinks at some point in the night and they had been “touched inappropriately” by a group of men.
“I remember very suddenly feeling in a dream-like state, not reacting or responding to anything going on around me and feeling very carefree and compliant,” she said.
When she woke the next morning, she said she felt “really heavy”, and much worse than she had felt after having drunk more in the past.
All three of the women, one of whom had recently undergone heart surgery and who have asked to remain anonymous over fears for their personal safety, reported the incident to police, who advised them to go to A&E for blood and urine tests.
But they said they were turned away both from hospital and their GPs, with staff apparently unaware of what to do, despite tests needing to be carried out within 72 hours.
Although the tests were eventually carried out, the woman said she and her friends were concerned over the apparent lack of awareness around what to do.
“Yes it’s embarrassing as there is a feeling that we are partially to blame and have to take some responsibility, but we just want everyone to be aware for this issue,” she said.
“We were just three girls who were keeping to themselves and had our drinks on a ledge next to us, but we were still targeted.
“It can happen to anyone.”
She said she wanted to tell her story so others would be more aware of the problem.
“Who knows what could have happened if we had been drinking more throughout the night,” she said.
“We feel we had a very lucky escape in hindsight.”
West Mercia Police chief inspector Jerry Reakes-Williams said anyone who suspected they or a friend had their drinks spiked should call police and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
“In order for us to establish whether spiking is the cause, we would need to investigate immediately while any substances would still be traceable,” she said.
“Genuine incidents of spiking are quite rare and there are many reasons which can cause people to become ill.
“Remember, never leave your drink unattended or accept drinks from a stranger.
“If a drink tastes unusual or smells odd, simply do not drink it.”
A spokesman from Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust said anyone concerned their drink and been spiked should seek help from someone they trust — but not accept offers of assistance from a stranger.
Many drugs used in drink spiking leave the body as soon as 12 hours after being taken, so it is important to undergo medical testing as soon as possible if you suspect to have been spiked.
Police say no criminal action is being taken following the incident.