A DRIVER has walked away with minor injuries after his vehicle overturned.

The man, who is in his 40s, suffered minor head and arm injuries and insisted on taking himself to hospital.

The Nissan Terrano 4x4 flipped onto its roof at the junction between the A449 Worcester Road and Bank Street, in Malvern.

West Midlands Ambulance Service were called to reports of a vehicle on its roof at 6.47pm yesterday (April 19). 

An ambulance spokesman said the man was fully conscious and walking around outside the car.

“He said he would make his own way to hospital,” the spokesman said.

“Thankfully, in this particular case the man involved appears to have escaped with minor injuries and did not require an ambulance to transport him to hospital.

“As always, we encourage all road users to take care and remain vigilant whether on four wheels or two.

“Our crews attend lots of serious road traffic collisions throughout the region and are therefore more than aware of the potential dangers the roads hold.”

The spokesman added that the only patient they treated was believed to be the driver and that no other vehicles were involved in the incident.

The ambulance service sent an ambulance and a rapid response paramedic to the incident.

One eyewitness described the scene as chaotic and said the driver walked away with minor injuries.

She added that he was towing a camper van, which had broken down, and flipped over after braking.

"He had come from the Ledbury direction and had come to the traffic lights and as he came around the corner he was met by stationary cars," she said.

"He braked and he tipped over. It think the weight just sent him over. It went over with a bang. His window was out."

Severn Trent Water has temporary traffic lights on Worcester Road between Zetland Road and North Malvern Road.

The company has also closed the junction between the A449 and the North Malvern Road, to enable the installation of a new water pipe.

The two-way temporary lights and the junction closure will remain in place until Friday, April 28.

West Mercia Police said they were called to a collision involving one vehicle at 6.50pm and managed a temporary road closure.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service also attended the scene after a call at 6.48pm.

Two fire crews from Malvern were sent to the crash.