UPTON grabbed a 31-30 bonus-point victory from the jaws of defeat with their first win at Old Wheatleyans.

The game was seen as a 10-pointer with both teams close to each other in the bottom half of the Midlands Three West (South) table.

Upton travelled with a strong squad but were hampered by the late arrival of skipper Max Macfarlane.

However, Will Cullwick stepped up from the bench and there was a welcome return for Dan Staines after a year-long absence.

Rob Heeley took over the captaincy and asked for 100 per cent concentration as on previous occasions Upton had been blown away by the hosts.

The Worcestershire side were on top for the first quarter and went ahead from a rolling maul.

Cullwick took the line-out five metres out and the drive came on which resulted in Heeley touching down and converting.

Old Wheats replied from an identical rolling maul and failed with the extras but soon went ahead when their pacy right winger scooted round the blind side defence for a converted try.

The home side went further ahead with a penalty and then two minutes from half-time their winger intercepted and sprinted the length of the pitch to score a converted try.

But Upton were thrown a lifeline when Old Wheats messed up the restart and after their winger kicked the ball behind the dead-ball line Upton had a scrum five metres out.

The visitors, led by the propping of Adam Jones and Matt Glading, drove over the line and Macfarlane, who had just arrived, touched down.

Heeley's conversion made the half-time score 22-14.

But Upton, going up the slight hill in the second period, fell further behind to an early try and penalty to stretch the game to 30-14.

However, it seemed fitness told as Upton spent the rest of the match in the Old Wheats half.

The forwards battered away and the backs, led by Will Miekle, looked dangerous every time they got the ball.

Patience was the winner when Macfarlane stormed through and popped for the supporting Miekle to touch down over the line.

Heeley converted and then kicked a penalty.

Upton had line-outs on the Old Wheats line as the hosts continually infringed and Heeley kept sticking the ball in the corner.

With the final play of the game, the captain decided to go for a scrum and the visitors' pack dug deep, driving Old Wheats back over their line again for Macfarlane to touch down.

Heeley stepped up for his fifth successful kick to snatch a dramatic last-play victory.

Meanwhile, Kris Brown scored his first try for the club but it did not prevent bottom-of-the-table Bromyard losing 31-5 at Old Coventrians in Midlands Three West (South).