DOG owners have been warned after ‘rat poison’ stuffed inside small parcels of meat was found next to a city canal.

The substance believed to be rat poison was found in Diglis near Lock Two, by the canal steps and Armstrong Drive, which is a popular route for dog walkers.

This has led to dog owners reacting with horror, saying they could not understand why somebody would leave rat poison inside meat and risk a dog eating the potentially fatal pellets.

A spokesman for Dogs Trust, the animal welfare charity, said: “Dogs Trust is urging dog walkers to be extra vigilant following reports of rat poison found near the canal in Diglis.

“Rat poison contains chemicals which cause clotting disorders in dogs which can lead to a range of presenting symptoms and can be fatal.

“These symptoms can begin with subtle signs or changes so it’s always best to take your dog to the vet if you notice a change in their health or behaviour, or are concerned they have eaten something they shouldn’t.

“If you are worried your dog may have ingested something, or is showing symptoms of poisoning, contact your vet immediately.

“Dogs Trust has a range of advice on things that are poisonous to your dog at”

Although the substance has not yet been verified as poison, many brands of wheat bait rat poison are red and look similar to the one found near the canal. 

The substance was found on Monday (March 12) by a member of the Diglis Basin Facebook group, who posted an alert.  Members of the group were appalled by the news.

Clarah Jones said: “It’s sick, no human has the right to poison an animal no matter what reason it is for.”

Brianna Gittens added: “I have no idea what goes through someone’s mind to want to do this for any reason.”

Margaret Layland said: “Very worrying. Please take care all dog owners. 

“My dog would have wolfed this down in one go.” 

Debbie Evans added: “Very irresponsible of whoever left it there.”

Dog owners are being told to remain vigilant and keep their pet on a lead when walking around the Diglis area.


If you see your pet eating rat poison or if your pet is showing signs that it may have ingested poison, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.

Rat bait is dangerous because it acts as an anticoagulant and prevents the blood from clotting by depleting the body’s supply of vitamin K.

Severity and toxicity varies between the different types of rat poison and the effect it has will depend on what and how much poison was digested.

Treatment could be as simple as taking tablets but others poisons may require blood transfusions and long stays in hospital or a veterinary clinic. Some poisons, if not treated quickly and properly, are deadly.

You can report sightings of rat poison to the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme by calling 0800 321600 or by visiting