A TAXI driver who was repeatedly stabbed by a customer in a frenzied attack has now spoken about his terrifying ordeal.

Mohammed Khan was hospitalised for almost a week and had to have 40 stitches to knife wounds in his hand, chest and lip following the attack.

The Worcester News revealed how the father-of-five was found staggering in the road drenched in blood by a fellow driver, 36-year-old Gary Meiklejohn, of Worcester.

Speaking from his home in St John's, Worcester, for the first time, Mr Khan said: "It's one of the most frightening things you could imagine - it was terrifying.

"As he pushed the knife into my chest and pulled it out again I put my right hand up and grabbed hold of the blade.

"In that split second, I thought I had to get out of here or he will kill me."

Mr Khan was in St Swithin's Street, Worcester city centre, in the early hours of Friday, August 18, when the attacker got into the front seat of his red Ford Mondeo and asked to go to Tibberton, near Droitwich.

They pulled off, but Mr Khan became aware of a suspicious smell and stopped briefly at The Cross. He saw the customer had an energy drink and continued on the journey.

The married 44-year-old said the journey did not initially seem out of the ordinary - except that the man claimed he was from Wolverhampton and had to be in by midnight because of a curfew.

Although Mr Khan was going the correct way to Tibberton, the customer started shouting that he had gone the wrong way when he went past a turning for Crowle.

It was as Mr Khan reversed that the attacker suddenly plunged the knife into his chest. Mr Khan recalls: "I grabbed hold of the knife but I couldn't get out of the car as I was holding it with my right hand. I had to kick it open."

"He moved round towards the front of the car and I ran towards Worcester and didn't look back."

Mr Khan - who did not recognise his attacker - spoke of his relief when Mr Meiklejohn came to his rescue and took him to Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

"I could have bled to death - nobody could have come for another half an hour," he said.

After being transferred to Birmingham's Selly Oak Hospital, Mr Khan had an operation on his hand to repair severed nerves, a tendon and artery.

He also had plastic surgery on his lip.

The family would like to publicly thank the hundreds of well-wishes who have been in touch.

Police have issued a description of a man they would like to speak to about the attack.

He is about 23 years old, 5ft 8in tall, of average build, with stubble, and was wearing a baseball cap and a light-coloured jacket.

Anyone with information about the attack can call the police on 08457 444888, quoting incident number 18S/180806, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.