Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Burning smell prompts fire callout to Lowesmoor flats
RESIDENTS of flats in Lowesmoor had to be evacuated in the middle of the night while fire fighters searched for the source of a burning smell.
Firefighters were called to Boscobel Place at about 12.30am today after residents complained about the smell.
The fire crews evacuated the five flats in the top floor as a precaution while they investigated. They traced the smell to a hydraulic lift motor in the loft which was leaking oil. The oil was being heated and evaporating, causing the smell.
Station commander Phil Berry said firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used thermal imaging gear to scan for hot spots, while ventilation gear was used to clear the air in the building.
He said that the residents were allowed to return to their flats in about an hour, and the fire fighters left about half an hour after that.