Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
We won’t sell lethal liquid nitrogen cocktails
4:40pm Wednesday 10th October 2012 in News
BAR and restaurant owners in Worcester have spoken out against the use of liquid nitrogen in food and drink.
The concerns come after 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon drank a cocktail containing the chemical at a wine bar in Lancaster city centre last week.
Miss Scanlon developed severe stomach pain and had emergency surgery to remove her stomach at Lancaster Royal Infirmary.
“It’s not something we would consider doing – it isn’t something to play around with.
“It isn’t a responsible thing to have your staff handling something that could burn your fingers off. It’s a big risk to take.”
He said that cocktails made the traditional way had more flair and entertainment value.
Felice Tocchini, of Fusion Brasserie in Stoulton, near Worcester, also questioned the use of the chemical.
He said: “It’s a fantastic gimmick but something that’s not natural in the kitchen.
“Why would you want to bring something into the kitchen that can be dangerous when used in the wrong manner?”
The chemical, which can be used to chill and freeze food, is not a toxic substance but its extreme cold temperature makes it unsafe for people to drink and eat because the human body is unable to cope with such a cold internal temperature.
Colin Houston, the Food Standards Agency’s head of incident management, said: “There are safety and handling guidelines around the use of liquid nitrogen, especially in relation to food.”
“It is the business owner’s responsibility to make sure that their staff are fully trained and made aware of the potential risks of using liquid nitrogen.
“They also have to have safety measures in place to protect staff and consumers.”