Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Masked sex beast Thomas Clark gets five years
4:00pm Friday 12th October 2012 in News
A MASKED sex attacker who terrified lone women he preyed upon in Worcester city centre has been given a five-year jail sentence.
Thomas Clark will have to serve two-and-a-half-years, less 138 days he has already spent in custody, and will not be released until the parole board is satisfied he is no longer a danger.
Clark, aged 21, of Barbourne Road, Worcester, admitted two offences of kidnap with intent to commit a sexual act. He bowed his head as he was sentenced and there was crying in the public gallery.
His first victim was a 24-year-old woman who was waiting for a bus at 5.30am on April 24 in Barbourne Road.
She was wearing earphones and listening to music when he grabbed her by the throat and dragged her 10 metres into bushes in Gheluvelt Park. She fought and screamed and he was only disturbed by a passing car.
The second attack was at 4.25am, on May 6, on a 44-year-old woman walking along Sansome Walk on the way home from a nightclub.
She was grabbed by the throat and dragged into bushes by the Baptist church where she was groped.
The woman was begging him to leave her alone because she had children at home.
She escaped when her attacker was “spooked” by a passing car and she flagged down a taxi.
On May 21, a woman walking in Chestnut Street said she was followed home by a man wearing black.
Clark was arrested three days later.
Prosecuting, Glyn Daniel said Clark was dressed in black and covered his face with a woollen sleeve.
Mr Daniel said Clark’s only previous sexual offence was when he pulled down the trousers of a fellow pupil in front of classmates at school.
Abigail Nixon, defending, said Clark had been assessed as being of high risk of re-offending by the probation service but he had a supportive family.
But Judge John Cavell said the “chilling” offences had been carried out in a carefully calculated fashion and had petrified the victims.
He was satisfied that Clark was a dangerous offender and he must impose a sentence for public protection. Clark must sign on as a sex offender for life.
After the hearing, Detective Inspector Jon Wallis, of Worcester CID, said: “I would like to personally thank the victims of this offence for supporting our prosecution.
“It has been no mean feat to bravely relive the fear and trauma they suffered at Clark’s hands and I hope his imprisonment gives them some sort of closure.”