'Hospital job ad is against whites' - claim

Worcester News: Hospital job ad 'against whites' - claim Hospital job ad 'against whites' - claim

A FORMER hospital boss has accused Worcestershire NHS chiefs of discriminating against white people in their advert for a key post.

Bob Donkin, of Upper Brookend, Kempsey, near Worcester, has written to Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust in Worcester over positive discrimination in favour of black and ethnic minority candidates to sit on their board.

The advertisement says the trust is “committed to equality of opportunity for all” but then goes on to say: “We particularly want to hear from people from black and minority ethnic communities who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.”

Mr Donkin joined the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust where he held a position as executive director for six years in the 1990s, helping the new board to define strategic direction and merge two acute hospitals.

There he had a wide range of responsibilities including for estates, IT, capital projects and risk management. He said he had never before found wording like that in a job advert.

He has written to Penny Venables, chief executive of Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, to express his concerns.

He wrote: “The advertisement discriminates against the white community.

“You say the best boards should reflect the communities they serve. Recruitment should be based on competence not colour.

“In the first instance I request that you remove this discriminatory phrase from your advertisement.”

Cambridge graduate Mr Donkin, who set up his own consultancy firm in 1998, said he was interested in serving as a non-executive director on the hospital trust if a suitable position came up, spotted the advert online.

A spokesman for Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust said: “Following the abolition of strategic health authorities, the NHS Trust development authority is responsible for overseeing the performance management and governance of NHS trusts, including clinical quality, and managing their progress towards foundation trust status.

“Since October 2012 they have also been responsible for the recruitment process and appointment of non-executive members to NHS trusts.

“The wording on the advert is theirs, not ours.”

The trust has yet to appoint anyone. Other adverts on the NHS Trust Development Agency website say they “particularly want to hear from women”.

The NHS Trust Development Agency declined to comment.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:47pm Tue 11 Dec 12

pinkfluff says...

Well I have failed to spot any discrimination in this article and my response to Mr Donkin would be "So??". I am sure the knuckle draggers will get all fired up though. ;-)
Well I have failed to spot any discrimination in this article and my response to Mr Donkin would be "So??". I am sure the knuckle draggers will get all fired up though. ;-) pinkfluff
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Tue 11 Dec 12

Sir Smeg says...

“We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.”

Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff??

It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too!
“We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.” Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff?? It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too! Sir Smeg
  • Score: 0

3:10pm Tue 11 Dec 12

Hwicce says...

Any mention of colour, race, religion, sex, age, etc. in a job advert makes it discriminatory.

Who it discriminates against depends on what you put.
Any mention of colour, race, religion, sex, age, etc. in a job advert makes it discriminatory. Who it discriminates against depends on what you put. Hwicce
  • Score: 0

7:06pm Tue 11 Dec 12

pinkfluff says...

Sir Smeg wrote:
“We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.”

Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff??

It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too!
Anything out of context could sound a bit iffy, however if an organisation felt that they were not representing the white British folk then no I don't think your comment would be out of place.

I believe it's about balance and providing the right service for a wide range of people, who are all entitled to have fair representation.
[quote][p][bold]Sir Smeg[/bold] wrote: “We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.” Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff?? It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too![/p][/quote]Anything out of context could sound a bit iffy, however if an organisation felt that they were not representing the white British folk then no I don't think your comment would be out of place. I believe it's about balance and providing the right service for a wide range of people, who are all entitled to have fair representation. pinkfluff
  • Score: 0

1:34pm Wed 12 Dec 12

More Tea Vicar says...

pinkfluff wrote:
Sir Smeg wrote:
“We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.”

Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff??

It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too!
Anything out of context could sound a bit iffy, however if an organisation felt that they were not representing the white British folk then no I don't think your comment would be out of place.

I believe it's about balance and providing the right service for a wide range of people, who are all entitled to have fair representation.
no, it's racism. Full stop, end of story.

That is certainly how any ad inviting white people in particular would be viewed.

The times when the pro-immigration/mult
iculturalism brigade could shut down debate by yelling 'racist' are long gone.

Partly because concern about immigration isn't particularly about race, but space.

And largely because so much of the reasoning and practice underlying multiculturalism and mass immigration is itself open to charges of racism.
[quote][p][bold]pinkfluff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sir Smeg[/bold] wrote: “We particularly want to hear from white English people who are able to make a real contribution to this organisation.” Doesn't sound quite so innocent this way round eh pinkfluff?? It IS racist, at our own indigenous people too![/p][/quote]Anything out of context could sound a bit iffy, however if an organisation felt that they were not representing the white British folk then no I don't think your comment would be out of place. I believe it's about balance and providing the right service for a wide range of people, who are all entitled to have fair representation.[/p][/quote]no, it's racism. Full stop, end of story. That is certainly how any ad inviting white people in particular would be viewed. The times when the pro-immigration/mult iculturalism brigade could shut down debate by yelling 'racist' are long gone. Partly because concern about immigration isn't particularly about race, but space. And largely because so much of the reasoning and practice underlying multiculturalism and mass immigration is itself open to charges of racism. More Tea Vicar
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Thu 13 Dec 12

drowningnotwaving says...

' I have a dream that a man will be seen for the content of their character not the colour of their skin'
Words the liberal lefties (not the knuckle dragers) like to quote, yet fail to practice.
The best person for the job should get it.
' I have a dream that a man will be seen for the content of their character not the colour of their skin' Words the liberal lefties (not the knuckle dragers) like to quote, yet fail to practice. The best person for the job should get it. drowningnotwaving
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree