Missing dog back in Worcester – after being lost nine years ago

BACK AGAIN: Owner Mrs Mae is happy to have Niamh home for the first time since 2004.

BACK AGAIN: Owner Mrs Mae is happy to have Niamh home for the first time since 2004.

First published in News
Last updated
by

A WORCESTERSHIRE mum had her own Christmas miracle when she was reunited with her beloved dog – nine years after she went missing.

When mother-of-four Mrs Mae lost her Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Niamh, in May 2004, she thought she would never see her again.

So it came as a shock when she got a phone call last week telling her the dog had been found – 80 miles away.

The 47-year-old, who did not want her full name printed, told your Worcester News Niamh had escaped into the street from the garden at her home near Worcester, when her neighbour had taken out a fence panel and she was unable to find her.

“I know in my heart someone must have taken her,” she said. “She is such a friendly thing, she would walk right up to anyone.”

But last week, she received a phone call from Bath Cats and Dogs Home saying Niamh – now 12 years old – had been found wandering the streets in Salisbury.

“I didn’t think I’d ever see her again,” she said.

“But last week I got a phone call out of the blue telling me she’d been found and they’d identified her with her microchip.

She was found in Sailsbury but they took her to Bath so I could drive down and pick her up.

“I think she recognised me. She’s gone a little deaf and a little grey but otherwise she’s just the same.

“It was a very, very tearful occasion – even the girls from the dog’s home had tears in their eyes.”

She said no one had any idea what had happened to Niamh or how she ended up in Wiltshire.

“She was very thin but apart from that she’s in surprisingly good condition, especially considering she’s a 12-year-old dog,” she said “Someone has obviously been looking after her in the intervening years. I don’t know how long she’d been wandering but she must have been in someone’s care for at least some of those nine years.”

Mrs Mae said Niamh is now comfortably back at home and was getting on well with her other dog, seven-year-old Ferdy – her granddaughter.

“She was very tired for the first few days but now she’s much more like herself,” she said. “She’s getting on very well with my children as well – they were only at primary school when she went missing but they remember her and I think she remembers them. I keep telling them it’s a Christmas miracle.”

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:18am Tue 10 Dec 13

Hack says...

Now that is a good news story. A Christmas Cracker!
Now that is a good news story. A Christmas Cracker! Hack
  • Score: 19

10:41am Tue 10 Dec 13

Guy66 says...

Best Christmas present you could ask for :)
Best Christmas present you could ask for :) Guy66
  • Score: 15

10:46am Tue 10 Dec 13

rubalish says...

SIMPLY AMAZING WAHT A GIFT COULD NOT GET BETTER THAN THAT !
SIMPLY AMAZING WAHT A GIFT COULD NOT GET BETTER THAN THAT ! rubalish
  • Score: 14

12:31pm Tue 10 Dec 13

notANOTHERbrilliantheadline says...

About time, that dog still owes me £20. Tell her I haven't forgotten!
About time, that dog still owes me £20. Tell her I haven't forgotten! notANOTHERbrilliantheadline
  • Score: -1

3:20pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Gillian1961 says...

Amazing story dogs never forget there owners glad you have been reunited
Amazing story dogs never forget there owners glad you have been reunited Gillian1961
  • Score: 11

4:34pm Tue 10 Dec 13

solar1 says...

So pleased for you!

More good news stories please WN.
So pleased for you! More good news stories please WN. solar1
  • Score: 8

8:52pm Tue 10 Dec 13

drowningnotwaving says...

He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog
He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog drowningnotwaving
  • Score: 1

9:25pm Tue 10 Dec 13

notANOTHERbrilliantheadline says...

drowningnotwaving wrote:
He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog
That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though..
[quote][p][bold]drowningnotwaving[/bold] wrote: He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog[/p][/quote]That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though.. notANOTHERbrilliantheadline
  • Score: 1

12:34pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Fishy says...

notANOTHERbrillianth
eadline
wrote:
drowningnotwaving wrote: He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog
That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though..
Who needs sex change surgery when you've got typos.

Lovely story though.
[quote][p][bold]notANOTHERbrillianth eadline[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drowningnotwaving[/bold] wrote: He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog[/p][/quote]That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though..[/p][/quote]Who needs sex change surgery when you've got typos. Lovely story though. Fishy
  • Score: -1

1:12pm Wed 11 Dec 13

notANOTHERbrilliantheadline says...

Fishy wrote:
notANOTHERbrillianth

eadline
wrote:
drowningnotwaving wrote: He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog
That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though..
Who needs sex change surgery when you've got typos.

Lovely story though.
Actually it wasn't a typo.. This disease happens when a dog goes missing, not through surgery.
[quote][p][bold]Fishy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notANOTHERbrillianth eadline[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drowningnotwaving[/bold] wrote: He may have changed colour and changed sex over the past 9 years but she is confident its her dog[/p][/quote]That's quite common, it's a condition known as dog tranvestitation. The grey hair thing is weird as hell though..[/p][/quote]Who needs sex change surgery when you've got typos. Lovely story though.[/p][/quote]Actually it wasn't a typo.. This disease happens when a dog goes missing, not through surgery. notANOTHERbrilliantheadline
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree