Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Speed limit to be cut on road where three were killed
THE speed limit on the road where three members of the same family lost their lives in a car accident at the weekend is to be reduced.
Luke Morris, aged 22, and his 24-year-old partner Elizabeth Stanley, both from Kidderminster, died when the car he was driving hit a tree alongside the B4084 at Avon Bank, close to Pershore Agricultural College, early on Saturday morning.
Mr Morris’s sister Becky Townsend, 26, of Wick, near Pershore, was also killed while her husband Craig was seriously injured and remains in a “stable” condition in hospital.
Since the accident, residents and parish councillors in Wick have said that the road is an accident blackspot and has long been the subject of safety concerns.
Worcestershire County Council says that it is planning to cut the speed limit from 50mph to 40mph, and that it could not have acted any more quickly as it is a time-consuming process.
David Scott, chairman of Wick Parish Council, said there had been calls to the highways department to tackle speeding and unsafe overtaking along the road for many years.
“The concerns of the village and ourselves as a parish council have been voiced long before this accident,” he said. “While I don’t necessarily think there is anything that could have been done to prevent this tragic accident, there are things that could be done to improve safety on the road in future. It is a major concern to us and has been for many years.”
He believes speed enforcement cameras - whether temporary or permanent - are “essential” along the road if speeding and safety concerns are to be tackled.
“I think that is the only way these problems can sensibly be tackled. There is no point in having a speed limit unless it is enforced.”
He added that the mood in Wick since the accident had been one of “great sadness”.
“It is terribly tragic. People’s lives have been lost and children have lost their parents,” he added.
Councillor John Smith, cabinet member for highways and transport at Worcestershire County Council, said: “The council has been responsible for reviewing the speed limits on all of the county's A and B for the last 12 months as part of the National Speed Review.
“We have to adhere to a national process, which unfortunately takes time. We have assured the local residents and Wick Parish Council that we are nearing the implementation stage for the speed limit change from 50 mph to 40 mph on the B4084.”
Inquests into the deaths of Mrs Townsend, Mr Morris and Miss Stanley were opened at Worcestershire Coroners Court, in Stourport, this morning and adjourned.