ON Friday next there will be run for at Pitchcroft a saddle and bridle of £3 value by any horse, mare or gelding carrying 10 stone except bridle and saddle, the best of two-mile heats, the winning horse to be sold for seven pounds. Note: every horse that is not a subscriber must pay in 2s 6d at starting. There will be at the same time a pair of silver buckles run for by men round Pitchcroft gratis, and a handsome hat to be run for by young women the length of Pitchcroft. Also a very good silver-laced hat to be won at backsword, the hat being 14 shillings value.

Those that are willing to enter their horses must enter at the Crown in Broad Street, Worcester.

AN inquest was held at Bredon on Monday on the body of John Bullock, aged 16, son of Mr T Bullock of Pirton Court, who, being on Sunday in a boat on Pirton Pool with two persons younger than himself, the boat floated towards a brickwork obstacle where, fearing the upsetting of the boat in striking it, he jumped out in the hope of reaching land, but in the attempt he was unfortunately drowned and, before the body was taken from the water, the vital spark was extinguished.

Verdict: Accidental Death.

􀁥 This morning, another inquest was held on Elizabeth Youster, a poor woman aged 77 years of Pirton who, being left alone in a cottage, was, through her clothes taking fire, so dreadfully burnt that her death immediately followed.

Verdict: Accidental Death.

“Remarkable Occurrence” – Nearly two months since, John Hernaman, a labourer, 37 years of age, employed in the construction of the Worcester and Hereford Railway, had his thigh broken by a stone thrown up by an explosion in blasting rock and was brought to our Infirmary at Worcester. He got on very well and was eventually discharged on Saturday last.

He had not been gone away more than half-an-hour when he was brought back to the Infirmary again, having fallen over the shaft of a hand cart in the street and broken his thigh close to, if not in, the old fracture!

􀁥 Population of Worcester: Though the returns are not yet complete, we believe the Census will show that the population of the city has increased by at least 3,000 since 1851 and that the total will be somewhere about 31,000. (As we know, Worcester’s population is today at least treble that number).

THE band of men who saw service in the Indian Mutiny is fast diminishing, and the death of HT Clarke, which occurred at 30 Moor Street on Friday, reduced the number of that band in Worcester to three or four.

Mr Clarke was a corporal in the 84th Regiment and was in India when the outbreak at Meerut occurred. He was then 19 and at the time of the rebellion was stationed near Calcutta. He went under the command of Havelock to the relief of Lawrence at Lucknow which was reached after a tedious march and numerous hard fights. He had to stay at Lucknow until relieved by Sir Colin Campbell (afterwards Lord Clyde). Mr Clarke, who was 72, took part in many battles but emerged from the war unscathed. His funeral at Astwood was accorded military honours with a firing party of 12 from Norton Barracks.