Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Warriors supporters angered by RFU's Flood tackle verdict
WITH the Six Nations looming large, England fly-half Toby Flood has been cleared by an Rugby Football Union disciplinary panel of an alledged tip-tackle on Andy Goode during Leicester Tigers’ 19-14 victory at Sixways on Friday night.
The decision has sparked anger among a section of the Warriors fanbase, who accuse the game’s governing body of favouritsim towards the Aviva Premiership’s big clubs.
Following a lengthy two-hour hearing in London, chairman of the three-man panel Jeremy Summers explained their decision by saying: “While we found that the elements of a dangerous tackle were made out, after very careful analysis we could not be satisfied, to that standard required, that the dynamics of the incident had not been caused, or contributed to, significantly by the involvement of other players from both teams."
However, the fact Flood received no ban means he is now free to play for Leicester where a ban of around four weeks could have ruled him out of Tigers’ Premiership clash with London Welsh, who are immediately below Warriors in the Premiership table, on February 9.
Following the ruling, Worcester supporters flocked to the online forums to have their say on the decision not to charge Flood.
Drutz said: “Let me say I am not surprised, the RFU want him playing regularly with the Six Nations coming up. Stinks to hell, but not surprised.”
USA Warrior added: “Got off on a technicality. Panel claimed that the other players contribution to the tackle meant that they couldn't punish him. Ridiculous.”
West Brom Warrior raged: “Never before have I come across such an inept bunch in all my life and they are the ones in charge, what chance has the game got of becoming great again.
“I really think its time for Worcester to not act dignified as we have and break the shackles and challenge the RFU, we have been victimised by terrible refereeing decisions this season and foul play and nothing has happened.
“Mr Hill and Mr Little, I urge you to break the shackles and speak out they cannot punish you as they have proven with Leicester over the last few weeks.”
Zander concluded: “What would have been the result if the tackle had been Goode on Flood? Three-match ban minimum? Shambles.”
It wasn’t a one-sided debate, though, as several fans felt the decision was right.
Abberley said: “At the time, my instinctive reaction was that the tackle might have been seen as dangerous - but only because of the (perhaps misguided) intervention of others. Flood himself didn't appear to do anything intentional.”
WRFC1980 agreed: “My initial feeling at seeing that Flood was cleared was shock. I saw him receiving a minimum of four weeks at least. However, I have re-watched the tackle and would have to agree that it does appear that Percivel acts as the pivot which tips Goode over.
“I actually think the correct decision has been made in the end.”