Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Worcestershire release Kapil and Johnson
6:09pm Tuesday 10th September 2013 in Sport By Steve Carley - Midlands Sports Journalist of the Year 2013, @stevecarleyWN
ANEESH Kapil and Michael Johnson will be released by Worcestershire at the end of the season after neither were offered new contracts.
The pair have failed to live up to their billing at New Road and will not be kept on for the 2014 campaign.
All-rounder Kapil, whose current deal expires at the end of this term, turned down a new contract at the end of the 2012 season.
Chief executive David Leatherdale said last month that “the ball is in his court” over extending the stay of the former England under 19 prospect, who has made just 10 first class appearances since his debut in August 2011.
Australian wicketkeeper Johnson arrived at New Road in January but, after making eight appearances in LV= County Championship Division Two and six in the Yorkshire Bank 40, was replaced by Ben Cox in June.
The 25-year-old has since been restored to the side but director of cricket Steve Rhodes has opted against retaining him.
Rhodes said: “Releasing players from contract is always a difficult time and parting company with Aneesh and Michael is no different.”
Comments are closed on this article.