DESPITE missing four players through suspension, Evesham United romped to their biggest win of the season against 10-man Thatcham Town in Southern League Division One South and West.

Manager Paul Collicutt handed debuts to defenders Will Wellon and Dan Watkin, signed from Slimbridge and Hook Norton respectively, and both played their part in a one-sided encounter at the Jubilee Stadium.

The writing was on the wall for the Kingfishers early on when Lance Smith’s pace took him past two defenders only for penalty appeals to be turned down when the young striker appeared to be pulled down in full flight by goalkeeper Rob Durrant.

A period of Evesham pressure followed resulting in Ed Williams, starting his second month on loan from League Two Cheltenham Town, bending his shot inches over and Carl Brown and Lee Davis going close following neat build-ups down the right.

Thatcham’s overworked defence finally cracked on 34 minutes when Marcus Jackson burst into the box and crossed to the unmarked Williams who tapped-in at the back post.

The game effectively slipped from the visitors during the early stages of the second-half when full-back Paul Taplin was sent off for violent conduct. Evesham then took full advantage of Taplin’s dismissal by adding a further four goals without reply.

Acting skipper Jared Wilson made it 2-0 on the hour with a thunderbolt from 25 yards that flew into the top corner past Durrant and Linden Dovey was then in the right place at the right time to head home after the Thatcham defence had failed to clear Williams’ corner.

Substitute James Vercesi was next on the scoresheet to make it 4-0 with a precise finish, latching onto Wilson’s inch-perfect through-ball for his fifth goal in 10 games.

The rout was completed in the last minute when Vercesi turned provider, crossing to the hard-working Smith who capped a dominant Evesham display with a well-directed header that gave Durrant no chance.

Evesham United: Bateman, Wilson, Davis (Holloway 71), Dovey, Watkin, Kennedy (Tambling 57), Jackson, Smith, Brown (Vercesi 67), Williams. Subs not used: Baines. Referee: Mr S Brown (Redditch).

Attendance: 187.