THERE was a renewed sense of optimism around Aggborough as Worcester City took another step towards survival.

City fans have not had a lot to shout about this season but Carl Heeley’s men put that right against Colwyn Bay.

Goals from Daniel Nti, his ninth of the campaign, and Aaron Williams gave them only their third league win at headquarters this term.

Coming hot on the heels of the victory at Histon, they now have back-to-back wins in Skrill North for the first time this season as well.

Victory was much deserved with Worcester matching their opponents in blustery conditions in the first-half before outplaying them in the second, even if James Ellison’s stoppage-time penalty made the final few seconds more edgy than necessary.

In the process, the Blue and Whites brought Colwyn Bay’s eight-match unbeaten league run to a shuddering halt and once again underlined their ability to mix it with the division’s better sides when they are on their game.

Failure to do so consistently has been a major frustration this season but this was further evidence that the tide is beginning to turn.

It is almost as if City have drawn a line under the Bradford Park Avenue debacle and vowed never to revisit that sorry episode.

Worcester have been a different team in the last two matches, quite literally when you factor in new signings Aaron Brown, Jamie Grimes and Kristian Ramsey-Dickson.

Brown and Grimes in particular have improved the side and have dragged the performance levels of everyone else up with them.

Nti was rejuvenated with two goals against Histon and he was again in the right place at the right time to scramble the ball home after keeper Chris Sanna fumbled Brown’s free-kick from the edge of the box.

Aaron Williams enjoyed his best game for a while, having a first-half header cleared off the line by Tom Smyth after Sanna had denied the towering Brown.

He also had the ball in the net seconds after Nti’s opener, only for the assistant to rule Brown had taken it out of play before crossing.

But Williams is never one to give up and, 10 minutes from time, he slammed home the second following substitute Ethan Moore’s cut-back.

Worcester were resolute in defending their lead but a 14th clean sheet eluded them when Graham Hutchison, on after Richard Munday had taken a blow to the mouth, handled in the area and Ellison scored from the spot.

That, though, was too little too late for Frank Sinclair’s visitors as Worcester marked their first Aggborough match of 2014 with three points.

Things are looking up again and the rapturous reaction of supporters at the final whistle suggests they believe it.