WORCESTER City are a team on the up.

No longer haunted by relegation at every turn, the Blue and Whites are climbing the league ladder two at a time towards the safety of mid-table.

Saturday’s 1-0 victory at Barrow was further proof of the progress they are making and sitting 13th is the highest Carl Heeley’s side have been in Skrill North all season.

The win, given to them by Daniel Nti’s third goal in as many games 11 minutes after the break, also ended Barrow’s 14-match unbeaten run that had stretched back to December 21.

Coming in the Bluebirds’ own back yard made City’s seventh triumph in 11 matches all the more impressive.

It was also built on the sort of dogged defensive display we have come to expect from Worcester this term as they chalked up clean sheet number 14 in all competitions.

Key to that was new signing Wayne Thomas who once again led by example with a near flawless performance at centre-half.

Nothing got past the Football League veteran and that galvanised those around him to ensure Barrow were not going to find a way through.

Keeper Ryan Boot, another of City’s recent recruits, was in equally defiant mood with another assured display, including one excellent first-half reflex save to keep in-form Barrow at bay.

Things could have been even better for the visitors but striker Kristian Ramsey-Dickson appeared to have left his shooting boots at the team hotel.

The substitute, put clean through by fellow replacement and debutant Martin Devaney deep into stoppage time, had only keeper Tony McMillan to beat but was so wayward he hit the window of the clubhouse behind the goal.

Thankfully, that didn’t come back to bite City and this latest victory should have banished any remaining fears they had of getting sucked back into the survival scrap.

Worcester made the most of their overnight stay in Lancaster to arrive fresh and determined to put a dent in Barrow’s aspirations of gate-crashing the play-offs.

They were disciplined in keeping their shape and were equal to anything the hosts threw at them.

The visitors also had a weapon in Aaron Williams’ long throw, a tactic straight off the training ground that time and again caused havoc in the Barrow ranks.

It worked a treat for the goal as Williams, deployed as the furthermost forward in the absence of food poisoning victim Ethan Moore, picked out Graham Hutchison and he nodded the ball down for Nti to sweep it into the bottom corner.

That however sparked Barrow into life and they cranked up the pressure, forcing City to defend manfully.

Sam Sheridan carried the chief threat to Boot’s goal for Darren Edmondson’s side, while substitute Dan Parkinson drilled a shot straight into the Worcester keeper’s midriff.

But Worcester never looked flustered in holding on to their advantage and can head to North Ferriby United this weekend on the crest of a wave.