MIKE Symons got his goal-scoring account up and running for the new season but Worcester City are still waiting for their first victory.

In rising to head home Tyler Weir’s pin-point 29th-minute left-wing cross, Symons scored in the blue and white of City for the first time since a 3-1 win over Hinckley United at St George’s Lane on April 13, 2013.

The striker has been threatening to find the net ever since his summer return from Oxford City, making the relief in putting Worcester ahead against Tamworth extremely welcome.

It was also only the third time City had scored this term and the first time they had led in a match.

Symons’ goal was just reward for a first-half in which City zipped the ball around with confidence on a rain-saturated surface and were pleasing on the eye.

Had he done likewise and despatched Danny Jackman’s free-kick beyond James Belshaw early in the second-half, with his effort instead going inches over with the help of a deflection, it might have been a different story.

As it was, Worcester paid the price for not making the most of being in the ascendancy and a lapse at the back proved costly.

Moments after Symons had gone close to doubling his team’s advantage, the hosts failed to clear their lines in the box and Kevin Thornton swept the loose ball past a helpless Nathan Vaughan.

The momentum City had built up suddenly stalled and Carl Heeley’s side were forced to start again.

But one thing this Worcester side don’t lack is character and they again showed it in abundance having seen their lead wiped out.

Ebby Nelson-Addy led the way by continually snapping at the heels of opponents and generally giving the Lambs little time on the ball.

The former Aston Villa midfielder has earned his place in Heeley’s side on merit and is improving all the time.

He was similarly supported by captain Ellis Deeney, Jackman and Daniel Nti as City tried to forge openings in a contest that grew increasingly frantic.

Graham Hutchison was another who carried the fight to Tamworth, coming within inches of regaining the lead at one end before saving his side at the other.

The centre-half was waiting for the net to bulge after getting his head to Jackman’s corner, only for the fingertips of Belshaw to frustrate him.

Then, with Vaughan having parried Shane Clarke’s shot back into the danger area, Hutchison threw himself in front of the ball to thwart David Hibbert’s follow-up.

When Vaughan got his hands to Daniel Preston’s last-gasp header, it signalled the end and City were left with a point.

A point which at one stage looked like being so much more but in the end could have been less.

The wait for a win goes on.