WORCESTER City were left to rue a lack of killer-instinct in attack as they were held to a goalless draw at Brackley Town.

City controlled much of the contest but once again struggled in the final third, as they failed to find a breakthrough on the way to recording a fourth draw in five Vanarama Conference North matches this campaign.

Both matches against Brackley finished goalless last season and, despite the hosts being reduced to 10 players late on, they held out to ensure a third successive stalemate on a rain-soaked Bank Holiday Monday.

Carl Heeley named an unchanged City team from the 1-1 draw with Tamworth on Saturday, but it was the hosts who started the brighter as Greg Kaziboni shot wide in the opening minute, before Ryan Rowe saw an acrobatic overhead-kick fly over the bar.

But, after withstanding that opening five-minute spell, Worcester soon came into the game and went on to enjoy much the better of the first-half.

Ebby Nelson-Addy burst forward and saw his shot blocked on the edge of the box and, with City finding plenty of space in midfield, Daniel Nti tested Dean Snedker in the hosts’ goal from 20 yards.

Worcester continued to dominate, frustrating their hosts who struggled for any sort of foothold in the game and, as half-time approached, only one side looked likely to open the scoring.

Mike Symons’ knock-down found Danny Jackman on the edge of the box and he forced a save from Snedker before Nick Wright fired an effort over.

City were almost caught napping after the restart as Rowe found space inside the area, but Graham Hutchison’s fine sliding challenge blocked his attempt.

Worcester soon re-established their control, but were limited to half-chances as Symons and Wright both missed the target.

They were nearly punished when Brackley’s Mitchell Austin hit a powerful effort from the corner of the box that was well saved by Nathan Vaughan.

Nti’s surging run found Wright inside the area, but the striker’s touch was too heavy as he attempted to round Snedker and the ball rolled out of play.

The hosts were forced to play the final five minutes a player short as Eddie Odhiambo, who had been booked for dissent, was given a second yellow following a mistimed tackle on Nelson-Addy.

City couldn’t take advantage of their extra man, however, as they struggled to create a late opening.

Deep into injury-time, Hutchison got his head to the ball inside the area, but Wright was unable to turn it goalwards form close range.

Brackley: Snedker, Samuels, McDonald, Odhiambo, Sharpe, R Austin (c), Kaziboni (Brown 61), Mulligan (Johnson 65), Rowe (Pearson 82), Curtis, M Austin. Subs not used: McGowan, Built.

City: Vaughan 7, Williams 7, Weir 7, Hutchison 6, Thomas 7, Jackman 7, Nti 7 (Dunkley 71, 6), Deeney (c) 6, Symons 6 (McDermott 77, 6), Nelson-Addy 7, Wright 6.

Attendance: 290.