A THRILLER at Walshes Meadow saw Droitwich Spa edged out 4-3 by Smithswood Firs in Midland Football League Division Two.

Eleventh-placed Spa now head to NKF Burbage on Saturday looking to resurrect their promotion bid against the leaders who are 18 points ahead in the table having played three games more.

The Firs game started better for the Saltmen as James Lemon seized upon a short back-pass from David Barfield and rounded keeper Jake Woodward to give the hosts the lead.

They weren’t ahead for long though as forward Chris Lloyd placed a sublime free-kick into the top corner just four minutes later after Matty Hunt was adjudged to have fouled 25 yards out.

Both sides were showing a lot of attacking intent in an end-to-end first half as the visitors' pace caused problems.

After firing over when well placed, Martin Crawford finished well from the edge of the box to put Firs 2-1 up.

Spa edged the game on chances created with Lemon and Brad Burgess guilty of missing chances.

But Lemon evened up the scores on 36 minutes after being put through by Louis Bridges.

An entertaining first half saw a slippy surface make the game difficult for both sides.

Just two minutes after the restart, Max Crisp made an ill-advised foul on the edge of the box.

Lloyd’s effort hit the angle of post and bar and Crawford was on hand to tap home to put Firs back in front.

The visitors sat back and Spa duly applied the pressure with substitute Nick Seabourne, Lemon, Haydn Morris, Burgess and Jack Allerton all shooting wide of the target.

Droitwich squandered several opportunities from set-pieces with the Firs defence clearing and then hitting the hosts on the counter-attack.

Against the run of play, Firs made it 4-2 with 13 minutes left as Trea Bertie hit a precise low strike into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

But two minutes later the Saltmen won a free-kick deep inside the Firs half and this time converted with Burgess’s cross falling to Seabourne to divert home from close range.

Droitwich continued to push forward but Firs held firm as the match finished 4-3.

On reflection, a draw would have been a fair result but once more missed chances cost the Saltmen ahead of another tough test at the league leaders.