HARRIERS were held to a 1-1 draw by York City at Bootham Crescent

Harriers were without two of their regular back-four for this game – after a sending off for a straight red card in the previous week’s game against Darlington, Tyrone Williams served the first of a three-match ban. Meanwhile, Joel Taylor was ruled out with a groin injury sustained in the same game, his place in the even taken by Sam Austin. New man Yan Klukowski, signed the day prior to the fixture, made his first appearance in a Harriers squad with a spot among the substitutes.

The visitors were very swiftly out of the traps and quickly forced Adam Bartlett into a string of fine saves, the first of them coming with just three minutes played as James Pearson took the ball down and drove a half-volley at the near-post that the custodian parried.

Andre Brown then tried his luck and was denied, before supplying McQuilkin who, stretching to meet the ball, struck low and hard with Bartlett, a former Harrier, down to keep out the threat. On the 20 minute mark there was nothing he could do to stop the men from Aggborough going in front as a fine move saw Brown with great strength before supplying Croasdale via McQuilkin, the skipper’s attempt arrowing into the bottom corner.

City had little response and, seven minutes later, almost conceded a carbon copy second as Croasdale again found himself on the point of the attack – this time Bartlett was able to deal with the threat and again showed a strong pair of hands.

The home side looked for a foothold to hold on to and, in netting an equaliser eight minutes before the break they got it from a dead-ball position – a well-struck free-kick from veteran front-man Jon Parkin rising over the wall and beyond the dive of Hall into his bottom corner.

York, under the cosh for much of the game, solidified in the second period but Harriers still created the better of the chances; early ones including Pearson’s charging down a clearance from Bartlett and nearly striking gold.

On 67 minutes, quick thinking from Croasdale spotted the run of Sonupe who showed great pace to take the ball forward and fire at Bartlett who produced another good, low save with his feet.

Into the final quarter hour, Ironside almost got a header on target but found his effort just lacking a little power. Brandon Hall between the sticks and his defensive unit snuffed out what little the home side had to offer.

HARRIERS: Hall, Austin, Pearson, O’Connor, Horsfall, Croasdale, Ngwatala (Sonupe 62), McQuikin, Brown, Ironside (Klukowski 75), Weeks.

Subs not used: Attendance: 2,507 Referee: James Bell