HARRIERS made progress through to the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round after a dogged and determined 1-0 win at Newcastle Benfield.

Harriers opted to make one change to the line-up ahead of this latest Cup trek, James McQuilkin dropping to the bench as he continues to fully recover from an ankle injury – Declan Weeks taking his place in the eleven.

Dan Bradley’s luckless beginning to his Aggborough career continued as he once again missed out through injury with a minor calf complaint.

Harriers set about causing the most of the early problems in the game as they struck wide through Ryan Croasdale and over the bar courtesy of weeks – Fraser Horsfall even drawing a good save from Grainger with a shot off a corner.

Benfield were always a threat thanks to the experience of veteran striker Brayson – he twice tested Hall with less than 20 minutes played, with one free-kick that was well held, and another shot that the custodian did well to smother.

Two before the half-hour, Ngwatala’s driving run and powerful shot swerved in the air and was tipped over well by Grainger, Ironside turning and shooting soon after with the keeper again equal to it.

Both sides were forced into changes before the break; Pearson withdrawn for the reds after seemingly picking up a nock, and Grieve stretchered off for the home side after a collision with one of his own team mates.

The start to the second period was very much a one-man show from Grainger as he made great savees to deny Ironside who got away a superb header at the far post; efforts from Ngwatala through a free-kick and a Croasdale shot also being well dealt with.

Harriers made good use of substitutions and it was one of those, Wright, who supplied the danger for the opening goal as he drove at his man and crossed low for Ironside who turned the ball home.

That visibly drained what was left of the home side’s resolve but, as had been threatened earlier in the game, there was a moment where Brayson looked to have shook things up – he smashed a volley into the back of the net in what was a relatively rare foray forward, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The young visitors held on to secure a second successive Cup win on the road.

HARRIERS: Hall, Taylor, Horsfall, Pearson (Austin 42), Williams, Weeks, Croasdale, Ngwatala (McQuilkin 68), Brown, Ironside, Sonupe (Wright 60).

Subs not used: Digie, Webb, Finch.

Attendance: 403 Referee: Garreth Rhodes