WORCESTER City gave their long-suffering fans something to cheer as they comfortably beat Heanor Town 3-0 in their Midland League Premier Division opener.

City never looked in trouble and a first-half brace from new marksman David Reynolds set them on their way before experienced centre-half Mark Smith sealed the winner with a 55th-minute header.

“There were a few nerves in the dressing room but Reynolds opened the scoring which calmed us down a bit,” said City’s joint manager John Snape.

“After we went two up the half-time break suited them more than us but the third sealed the game and the players enjoyed the last 10 to 15 minutes.

“I’ve got very offensive players with the front three and the bench. They want to be at the right end of the pitch and make things happen.

"I think Heanor wanted to pass it and play which is great and suited us.

“I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t take a few more chances. We’re still developing as a side. We’ve been thrown together at the start of the season.

"It’s a learning curve for everybody playing at this level and we found out there are no pushovers and we had to earn the win."

After dominating the early stages City were inches away from taking the lead after just five minutes when Reynolds rattled the bar with a speculative effort from outside the box.

A minute later they were in front when Heanor keeper Joe McCormack got caught in no-man's land outside the box and Reynolds intercepted the ball before tapping into an empty net.

Against the run of play Heanor were almost level but for an intuitive block on the line by Aaron Griffiths after striker Jamie Sleigh worked his way into the box before beating Matt Gwynne.

Reynolds doubled the Blue and Whites' lead with a goal to remember on 41 minutes, unleashing his shot from 25 yards and leaving the goalkeeper helpless.

A slip by newly-appointed captain Tyler Weir almost allowed the Derbyshire visitors back into the game after the break as Sleigh ran through on goal but sent his angled shot inches wide of the target.

The deserved victory was secured on 55 minutes when Smith backed away from his marker before powerfully heading a Jamie Smith corner home.

Veteran striker Lee Hughes almost capped the performance moments later, running through on goal before putting his lobbed shot just over as his side ran out comfortable victors.

Snape added: “We’re not quite there yet and there is a bit of work to do behind the scenes but hopefully the players we’ve got we can keep together for a couple of years as we think they are the right people to take the club forward.

“That said, we’re obviously always looking for better players who want to come in and work for the football club.”

City: Gwynne, Weir, Griffiths, Fishwick, M Smith, Hayward, Birley (Ruddock 71), Birch, Hughes (Brett 75), Reynolds, J Smith (Baldwin 56). Subs not used: Albert, Harris-James.

Heanor: McCormack, Scott, Oliver, Craddock, Roulston, Marriot, Fyfe (Lee 82), Tansley (Vickers 52), Sleigh, Seaton, Reeves (Wilkinson 77) Subs not used: Naylor, Robley.

Attendance: 379.